Creating Roshar in Minecraft: Help Wanted!

Ataraxian Wist

I would gladly help do this, I might be able to make a topographical map in blender but it will take a while, I also have an old frame of Urithiru, as for build limit there is a mod that increases the build limit to near infinite size. (if that doesn't work you can always have Urithiru in a pocket dimension with a plugin) Along with the stormcraft mod a larger map of Roshar that is fully decorated would be amazing.

-DM me on how big you want the map of Roshar because I know if its too big worldpainter takes forever to render :)

Edited by EggArdent

• 2 months later...

I know a thing or two about command blocks & redstone, so I could help out with the oathgates once you get around to that. I've already made a few devices in minecraft that have a similar effect, but I still haven't figured out what kind of input is most similar to the way Brandon describes for activating it.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2021 at 3:00 PM, VanillaDCocoKing said:

It will be a server, sorry for the unclarity. I meant that the world will also be downloadable by contributors once it's COMPLETE. However, we can't put the world onto our server until we paint the landscape, which will require that topographical map.

So, yeah. Once we have that part, I'll DM the IP to all of you who want to help build, but that's step 2.

Also, that is an excellent idea about Shadesmar.

Also also actually actually, MACHICOLAAAAAATIOOOOOONNNNSS!

If things go as planned, I will have a finished 3d model of Roshar within two weeks, maybe less depending on how much time I have to work on it and the level of detail you want.

45 minutes ago, Arctic_Mountain said:

If things go as planned, I will have a finished 3d model of Roshar within two weeks, maybe less depending on how much time I have to work on it and the level of detail you want.

Alright, so that is awesome. This is pretty much exactly what we need to make this work. It doesn't need too much detail, as it will end up somewhat distorted when Brother paints the world, so most of the details will need to be built by hand anyway. Just a decent guide to height throughout the main continent.

On 8/5/2021 at 1:30 PM, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

I honestly don't know, the guy who started this has not been very active recently, so I Dont know.

Yes, sorry, I had some life changes come up but, though they're hardly over and I really haven't recovered, I'm ready to work on something large scale like this again. I don't know for sure whether Brother is ready for something like this again, as the life changes were of a family nature and have affected him a little more deeply than they have me. If not, I'm sure someone else from the community can do his part until he is ready to rejoin the project. I know he'll want to be in on the building side of things, and he is skilled builder I'd be loathe to work without.

On 8/4/2021 at 9:48 PM, STAG said:

I’m late, and not the greatest at building. Is this happening?

It is happening, but the actual brain behind it may be, as stated, out of the loop for awhile longer. I will let you all know what I learn on that front.

As for building skills, I recommend Grian's Build School series on YouTube  and some practice.

On 6/22/2021 at 0:43 PM, Narcoleptic Axolotl said:

I know a thing or two about command blocks & redstone, so I could help out with the oathgates once you get around to that. I've already made a few devices in minecraft that have a similar effect, but I still haven't figured out what kind of input is most similar to the way Brandon describes for activating it.

That will be invaluable. I'm not bad with pistons and such, and I understand commands fairly well, but I do NOT want to figure out the specifics of Oathgates on my own.

In other notes, I think there may be enough people willing to help now that we can organize some committees to really get and keep this rolling. By week's end, I will get back to you all on the following:

1) Whether Brother is still on the project.

2) When we can expect his involvement I he is, and what roles will need filled if not.

3) What committees will be needed and when, and how we'll organize them.

I will continue to lead--or at least administrate--this project for the time being, but if someone else thinks they are better suited to it, than by all means, PM me.

11 hours ago, VanillaDCocoKing said:

Alright, so that is awesome. This is pretty much exactly what we need to make this work. It doesn't need too much detail, as it will end up somewhat distorted when Brother paints the world, so most of the details will need to be built by hand anyway. Just a decent guide to height throughout the main continent.

Yes, sorry, I had some life changes come up but, though they're hardly over and I really haven't recovered, I'm ready to work on something large scale like this again. I don't know for sure whether Brother is ready for something like this again, as the life changes were of a family nature and have affected him a little more deeply than they have me. If not, I'm sure someone else from the community can do his part until he is ready to rejoin the project. I know he'll want to be in on the building side of things, and he is skilled builder I'd be loathe to work without.

It is happening, but the actual brain behind it may be, as stated, out of the loop for awhile longer. I will let you all know what I learn on that front.

As for building skills, I recommend Grian's Build School series on YouTube  and some practice.

That will be invaluable. I'm not bad with pistons and such, and I understand commands fairly well, but I do NOT want to figure out the specifics of Oathgates on my own.

In other notes, I think there may be enough people willing to help now that we can organize some committees to really get and keep this rolling. By week's end, I will get back to you all on the following:

1) Whether Brother is still on the project.

2) When we can expect his involvement I he is, and what roles will need filled if not.

3) What committees will be needed and when, and how we'll organize them.

I will continue to lead--or at least administrate--this project for the time being, but if someone else thinks they are better suited to it, than by all means, PM me.

thank you for getting back to us.

Alright, so update #1:

Brother is still onboard.

Update #2:

As soon as the topo from @Arctic_Mountain is finished, (and made available to Brother) he will begin painting the world. I have no current estimate on the timeframe of that second phase, but you can expect one as soon as it is started. (I did not tag out of impatience, but to credit.)

As for #3, I will have a solid plan, plus up to two more collaborators, by noon Saturday.

Edited by VanillaDCocoKing
Clarified tag

32 minutes ago, Arctic_Mountain said:

There is another discord server you could check out as well. They have done some work and the idea has been proposed that we merge both of the projects.

https://discord.gg/VNVSkBCN6x

I'm game for merging. That said, we are approaching this from fairly different angles, so I think we can be of more use to their project if we work somewhat seperately on that Worldpainting project. They seem to be focused on building, and I think that providing them with a canvas on which to build will be invaluable. So, by week's end, I will have a server up for building of B02 files for Brother to use in Worldpainter. This will allow us to get most of the smaller buildings in various cities, as well as custom vegetation, built before we even open the world. In addition to the obvious terrain gen, I mean.

But after that, yeah, I think this server has the organization and manpower we need, plus a lot of progress on some of the bigger structures.

I will also attempt to recruit talent from that server for the B02s, for the sake of diversity.

Alright, sorry that B02 desing server isn't up yet. Crazy things ended up happening at work. It will be up tonight, though, and I can invite anyone who DMs me their Minecraft Java username.

For awhile it will just be builders sharing their design ideas for small buildings in various parts of Roshar. We will need someone who knows the books pretty well to critique and improve those ideas, but we'll start out with ideas.

Since we're merging with the other project, committees will not be necessary within this group. Arctic posted a link to the Discord for the main project, if anyone wants more information.

The Realms invite will come from Ataraxian_Wist_