New fanfic-romantic story for Kaladin

BethG

I've recently started wearing safehand gloves more and there's something interesting that happens when I take it off. My hand feels more sensitive, and a little bit tingly. Maybe mention that? Or not.

I'd say if you were going to mention it, do experiments and gain experience and don't just take my word for it. See what it is like for you.

1 hour ago, Tani said:

I've recently started wearing safehand gloves more and there's something interesting that happens when I take it off. My hand feels more sensitive, and a little bit tingly. Maybe mention that? Or not.

I'd say if you were going to mention it, do experiments and gain experience and don't just take my word for it. See what it is like for you.

Interesting.  But Elebet hasn’t worn a glove or sleeve in over a year, so by now that would probably not be something she’d notice anymore.

• 3 months later...
34 minutes ago, Yuliya said:

This is a wonderful story! (or should I say odd?) Read it in one go and smiled through most of it. Thank you for sharing it and for making my afternoon a little brighter :)

Thank you for reading it!  
If you liked this one, I did another posted here, called Elebet Kholin, that takes place after Oathbringer.  Same name, because I like it, but different story.  (It’s about twice as long.)

Edited by BethG
Correction

3 hours ago, BethG said:

Thank you for reading it!  
If you liked this one, I did another posted here, called Elebet Kholin, that takes place after Oathbringer.  Same name, because I like it, but different .  (It’s about twice as long.)

I would certainly read it! I finished most of Brandon's series, and it is a pleasure to expand on his world this way.

40 minutes ago, Yuliya said:

I would certainly read it! I finished most of Brandon's series, and it is a pleasure to expand on his world this way.

LOL, I had to write them because I had finished reading all the Cosmere books (SA 5 times!) and LOVE Kaladin.  I missed him and needed him to be happy.  I am terrified that Brandon will never give him a romantic happy ending, so I had to come up with one…..well, two.

13 hours ago, BethG said:

LOL, I had to write them because I had finished reading all the Cosmere (SA 5 times!) and LOVE Kaladin.  I missed him and needed him to be happy.  I am terrified that Brandon will give him a romantic happy ending, so I had to come up with one…..well, two.

Haha, same here, although I am on my third reread of SA :) I think Brandon intentionally kept Kaladin's love life to a minimum so far to make it special when it is finally there. At least, that's what I want to believe, since as you put it in this story "That young man deserves a happily ever after if anyone on this rock of a world does"

4 hours ago, Yuliya said:

Haha, same here, although I am on my third reread of SA :) I think Brandon intentionally kept Kaladin's love life to a minimum so far to make it special when it is finally there. At least, that's what I want to believe, since as you put it in this story "That young man deserves a happily ever after if anyone on this rock of a world does"

I hope Brandon has been saving his romantic arc for a special girl!  I don’t think we’ve met her yet.  Shallan and Adolin are too perfect for each other, Laral is a self centered slontze demanding he do what she wanted, and Tarah gave him ultimatums between what he needed and her and then chose her father over Kaladin.  I can’t stand either one.  (And asking Kaladin to raise Roshone’s children is asking a lot of even Kaladin’s good heart.). It seems like on one of Kaladin’s flights with Stormfather he went through a building and saw a (fair haired?) girl who he thought saw him.  I am hoping that’s a hint.  Brandon rarely says something that specific without it meaning something.

16 hours ago, BethG said:

I hope Brandon has been saving his romantic arc for a special girl!  I don’t think we’ve met her yet.  Shallan and Adolin are too perfect for each other, Laral is a self centered slontze demanding he do what she wanted, and Tarah gave him ultimatums between what he needed and her and then chose her father over Kaladin.  I can’t stand either one.  (And asking Kaladin to raise Roshone’s is asking a lot of even Kaladin’s good heart.). It seems like on one of Kaladin’s flights with Stormfather he went through and saw a (fair haired?) girl who he thought saw him.  I am hoping that’s a hint.  Brandon rarely says something that specific without it something.

I think it would be nice if because of the Ishar's experiments with bringing spren to the physical realm, Syl sound become corporeal. She would become very emotionally mature if Kaladin swears the fifth ideal, and could potentially be able to love him as a woman. I think it would be a beautiful conclusion to their bond. (but then, there are a lot of ifs in this scenario).

P.S interesting note about he girl in Stormfather's dream. I didn't consider that before.

6 hours ago, Yuliya said:

I think it would be nice if because of the Ishar's experiments with bringing spren to the physical realm, Syl sound become corporeal. She would become very emotionally mature if Kaladin swears the fifth ideal, and could potentially be able to love him as a woman. I think it would be a beautiful conclusion to their bond. (but then, there are a lot of ifs in this scenario).

P.S interesting note about he girl in Stormfather's dream. I didn't consider that before.

I have thought about Kal and Syl.  They certainly love each other and need each other.  And she has the qualities he needs in a girl, combining his mother’s patience and wisdom with Tien’s childlike wonder of the world.  I mention that idea in my other fanfic—Elebet asks Syl if she can’t be like a human and love him because Elebet sees how they love each other.  My version of Syl (we had no idea of what Ishar was doing when I wrote it—takes place at the end of Oathbringer) says she is part of a god and part of Kaladin’s mind, so she doesn’t see how that would work.  To me it would almost be a weird self love.  But if Brandon goes that way—huzzah!  He can fix it.

4 hours ago, BethG said:

I have thought about Kal and Syl.  They love each other and need each other.  And she has the qualities he needs in a girl, combining his mother’s and with Tien’s childlike wonder of the world.  I mention that in my other fanfic—Elebet asks Syl if she can’t be like a human and love him because Elebet sees how they love each other.  My version of Syl (we had no of what Ishar was doing when I wrote it—takes place at the end of Oathbringer) says she is part of a god and part of Kaladin’s mind, so she doesn’t see how that would work.  To me it would be a weird self love.  But if Brandon goes that way—huzzah!  He can fix it.

Well, whoever it will be, I just hope we will get to have the warm and fuzzy feeling on behalf of Kaladin sometime in SA 5.

On 5/23/2022 at 1:43 PM, Yuliya said:

Well, whoever it will be, I just hope we will get to have the warm and fuzzy feeling on behalf of Kaladin sometime in SA 5.

If you would like to read my first romantic fic for Kaladin, set immediately after Oathbringer, here’s a link:

https://www.icloud.com/pages/0GYOFAiDTRyk0xGVbQlkVpeOQ#Elebet

5 hours ago, BethG said:

If you would like to read romantic fic for Kaladin, set after Oathbringer, here’s a link:

https://www.icloud.com/pages/0GYOFAiDTRyk0xGVbQlkVpeOQ#Elebet

I read and enjoyed it, thank you! I think the shorter version is my favorite of the two (not sure if it is because I read it first or because it had mink kits), but I loved both. 

P.S. hurray to killing Vyre right after the Oathbringer though :)

5 hours ago, Yuliya said:

I read and enjoyed it, thank you! I think the shorter version is my favorite of the two (not sure if it is because I read it first or because it had mink kits), but I loved both. 

P.S. hurray to killing Vyre right after the Oathbringer though :)

Yep, Vyre needs to be gutted.  And Kaladin shouldn’t have to do it.

Thanks for reading this one, too!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I know this is an older discussion and who knows if you'll even see this, but I just joined the Shard and found your fanfic and I absolutely LOVED it!! I am also obsessed with Kaladin- he's basically the man of my dreams (I'm married but pretty sure my husband would understand lol) and I've been disappointed with the lack of romance in his story arc! I was reading this and thinking the whole time, "I so wish this was real!" I felt that you captured Kaladin's personality really well, and loved how you developed the story. Elebet is lovely. Overall I thought your writing and storytelling were fantastic! I just need more of Kaladin to last me this coming year before Stormlight book 5- fingers crossed he gets the happy ending he deserves!!

1 hour ago, Xandra Stormblessed said:

I know this is an older discussion and who knows if you'll even see this, but I just joined the Shard and found your fanfic and I absolutely LOVED it!! I am also obsessed with Kaladin- he's basically the man of my dreams (I'm married but pretty sure my husband would understand lol) and I've been disappointed with the lack of romance in his story arc! I was reading this and thinking the whole time, "I so wish this was real!" I felt that you captured Kaladin's personality really well, and loved how you developed the story. Elebet is lovely. Overall I thought your writing and storytelling were fantastic! I just need more of Kaladin to last me this coming year before Stormlight book 5- fingers crossed he gets the happy ending he deserves!!

Thank you so much!  I love Kaladin more than any character in all of literature.  I have been married for over 47 years to a man Brandon could have used as the model for him, so I think I have a good idea of the kind of relationship he needs.  I hope Brandon gives him a sweet girl and a happily ever after.  If there’s a character in the Cosmere who deserves one, it’s Kal!

This is my second try at this.  I did Elebet 2.0 after reading RoW.  Elebet Kholin was written after I read Oathbringer.  She’s basically the same character but a different circumstance from a different point in the storyline.  It’s posted earlier on here.

Yes, I agree he needs someone sweet like her! And absolutely deserves to be happy more than any other character. Now that I think about it I don't think I've ever read another character I liked better either, I just love him so much!! And yes, I saw your other story in this discussion and can't wait to read it!

@BethG you should consider putting this story on Wattpad. It's a free platform for sharing stories and fanfics, and while other authors get many fans writing there, Cosmere fanfics are mostly shared here on the Shard forums, making them a little harder to find. I have a stormlight romance fanfic published there, and I wish there were more of us :)

Edited by Yuliya

4 hours ago, Yuliya said:

@BethG you should consider putting this story on Wattpad. It's a free platform for sharing stories and fanfics, and while other authors get many fans writing there, Cosmere fanfics are mostly shared here on the Shard forums, making them a little harder to find. I have a stormlight romance fanfic published there, and I wish there were more of us :)

I’ll check it out.  Your fic, too.  I didn’t think they allowed using Brandon’s based works off this site.

1 hour ago, BethG said:

I’ll check it out.  Your fic, too.  I didn’t think they allowed using Brandon’s based works off this site.

Great! My Wattpad username is Little_Dagger. I think fanfics can be posted anywhere you like, as long you indicate it's a fanfic and give credit to Brandon. Otherwise everyone on Wattpad is doing something very wrong, haha.

@BethG I read your other fanfic and I really enjoyed it! I honestly don't know which one I liked more. Like I said before I think you have a really good handle on Kaladin's personality; I feel like the longer version depicts him a bit more in line with how I personally think he would act in that situation, with denying his feelings, coming up with reasons why they wouldn't work (denying himself the right to be happy). The complicatedness of it made it rather exciting to read:) I also liked that it gave more time for their relationship to develop. However I do think it would have been more profound if Elebet could have accepted first that she was still worthy of love even if she couldn't have children, before magic just solved the problem without her believing that. Maybe Kal could have convinced her and shown her- before they knew the Stormlight healed her. Either way, it was beautiful and I really enjoyed reading it, well done!