Who exactly is Hoid?

dants

I have a lot of theories about hoid. (As I'm sure we all do) I guess if your asking WHO he is...I would ...NOT Hoid...he comes right out and says that Hoid is not his real name...just the name of someone he should have loved. I take from this that "Hoid" is doing all of this in the name of someone he lost. AND...that Hoid as we know him...May not be who the 17 th shard thinks he is. Vague I know...but it's all I have right now

My view is that Hoid is Sanderson. He's the direct voice of the author; an alter ego if you will. As such he's neither evil, nor good. Originally, he was just an observer, but millennia of observation has changed his view to one that requires action.

I'm also guessing that this fight between 17th shard and Hoid isn't about good vs evil. Shards have specific intent. Humans don't. Humans are complex and have complex motivations. What Hoid seems to be doing goes way beyond good vs evil. When you have to choose between the destruction of a world and your ultimate goal, the game you are playing can't be judged by our understanding of good vs evil.

Edited by Leuthie

True. My first sentence is bunk. How about this: Alter ego and "me" are two different things. My character in Dragon Age isn't me, but he does represent a part of me in the game.

The last half of that quote is a better way of saying what I mean, I guess. He is there to give the author a more direct voice; A character on both sides of the third wall. Autonomous, but less so than the other characters. In any case, his purpose is beyond good vs evil.

I really don't think that's the case, or at least if it is Hoid isn't special all Brandon's characters would be "alter egos".  I remember a WoB, that I can't find at the moment so maybe take this with a grain of salt, about how Hoid is actually very different from Brandon.  They share a similarity in the fact that they are both storytellers, and so notice similar things but Brandon puts something of himself in a lot of his characters.  I want to say he's said that Elend is the most similar to himself.

I think Hoid is just aware that he's a character in books. "I began life as words on a page", anyone?

It would certainly help someone always be in the right place at the right time if they had already read the book that they're in...right?

On a side note:

While reading the dark tower by stephen king...I really enjoyed how much reality got intermingled with the story happening in the book.  Upon reading this Hoid quote in stormlight...I starting hoping that the lines of story/real world would start to blur in the cosmere somehow.  I'm also a little butt hurt at the "Hoid is not me." confirmation.  That was a pet theory of mine as well and  I was really hoping that I was onto something.  Stupid established facts getting in the way of our wild conjecture.

By the way...Paragrin gets and upvote for thinking like me...
Edited by hoidhunter

I hope that Hoid is not the Deadpool of the Cosmere. 

I think that Hoid witnessed the shattering of Adonalsium. Perhaps the names of the shards are named after the people that most identified with attributes of Adonalsium on Yolen. Therefore, maybe witnessed Odium and the others shattering Adonalsium, and in the process, becoming the shards themselves and destroying Yolen. That would explain why Hoid isn't a shard, but is pursuing Odium.

• 4 weeks later...

OK here's my weird theory.

Hoid is actually what's left of andonalism after what ever andonalism was shattered. I think he is like the consciousness of the God that once was after all the emotional shards of him were ripped out.

Does that make sense? It would explain how he knows so much about the cosmere and how to make all the magic systems function. He knows because when he was whole he knew everything and he kept all that knowledge but lost the majority of the powers.

As for what he's doing well what if he was now trying to get rid of all the bad parts of himself that now rampage across the cosmere. He was in mistborn when ruin shard was absorbed and became harmony and now he's trying to get kill rayse and get hatred gone from he cosmere so he can't shatter any more of the good shards like on sel.

And didn't Sanderson say that hoid was there when andonalism shattered? What kind of person could survive an event that epic. I think anyone there would've been killed so the only way hoid could've been there and survived is to actually have been whatever andonalism is.

Weird theory I know but it makes sense to me. Kinda. He's just to powerful and knowledgeable to be a regular dude.

if you guys really want to know there is the first chapter of liar of partinel online that has hoid in it i believe it would be the very first in the cosmere timeline. its not truely canon but i belive some of the stuff on there will stay the same

Sooo...After reading the unfinished sample chapter of LoP...I feel I've come to a little bit of a better understanding of Hoid.  It seems that in the beginning of this story...he is very much a mortal man.  One that was brought from the brink of death by his mentor...Hoid.  He has decided to dedicate himself to saving the people of his land (continuing is mentor's work)...even if it costs him his life.  I am willing to bet that he actually proceeds to impersonate his former mentor, finishing his work in the original Hoid's name.  I may be jumping to conclusions, but I would guess that what ever he is up to in the whole of the cosmere is an extension of this.  While his mentor selflessly and thanklessly dedicated himself to saving one world...Hoid must dedicate himself to saving all of creation in his mentor's name now that he is aware of the threat.  

What if Hoid was just the assistant to the Shard holders pre shattering.

He claims Tanavast bought him a drink once, and seems to know all of the shards personally, yet they don't seem to notice him running around.

Just seems like the something that would happen.

he doesn't draw attention to himself he says out right if odium found him he would be destroyed immediately

also vin was spooked by him in the 3rd book so maybe ruin didn't want him messing with his plans

i have kind of wondered about the shards day to day lives can they have a physical form and just hang out and go have drinks with there old friends

Edited by taveren

And I actually have a question. Was it confirmed that Hoid in every Cosmere book is actually the same Hoid? Because in SA Hoid (Wit) clearly states in TWoK that Hoid is not his name. And it made me think that maybe we have two 'Hoids' in the Cosmere. And if there is only one Hoid right now, then who was the original Hoid? O.o

Conversation between Kaladin and Wit from chapter 57 of TWoK:

“Well, what do men call you now?”
“Many a thing, and only some of them polite. Almost all are true, unfortunately. You, however, you may call me Hoid.”
“Your name?”
“No. The name of someone I should have loved. Once again, this is a thing I stole. It is something we thieves do.”
Edited by Pestis the Spider

And I actually have a question. Was it confirmed that Hoid in every Cosmere book is actually the same Hoid? Because in SA Hoid (Wit) clearly states in TWoK that Hoid is not his name. And it made me think that maybe we have two 'Hoids' in the Cosmere. And if there is only one Hoid right now, then who was the original Hoid? O.o

Right...Hoid was the name of someone that Hoid should have loved...he has since assumed the name...as far as I know...there are not 2 different Hoids.