Your Best Songs of the Year

Eluvianii

First of all, Happy New Year!

Now, a friend an I have been doing this thing for the past few years where by the end we choose our favorite songs of that year. We do this by making two lists. One is a top 10 songs we listened to during the year but that came out before, and the other one is a top 10 songs that we listened to and came out that same year. It just feels more fair that way (and it's a good excuse to choose 20 songs instead of 10), and we accompany them with a few honorary mentions because 20 songs is still not enough.

So yeah, this year I was choosing my songs and thought "Hey, this would be a nice activity to share on the Shard" (great, I just sounded like an elementary school teacher). Also, I was noticing that a big flaw in our system was that we do not include non-vocal songs, so soundtracks feel really excluded, so I'll include some of those too.

And that's the idea, feel free to participate as much or as little as you like, or take people's favorites as recommendations. I've just found that actually sitting down to consider which has been your favorite song of an entire 365-day period makes you appreciate them a little more.

With all of that said, here's my personal list:

Songs I discovered this year:

Spoiler

10. Short Change Hero - The Heavy
9. Gyakko - Maaya Sakamoto
8. w=f(c) - KillerBlood
7. In This Blanket - Kei Takebuchi
6. All Eyes on Me - OR3O
5. Grand Escape - Radwimps
4. Ichidaiji - Polkadot Stingray
3. Synchronicity - Yuki Kajiura/Vocals by Yui Makino (technically I listened to this one years ago, a later version anyway, but listening to the original version this year feels kind of special because of the story it belongs to)
2. MIIRACODE - Lie and a Chameleon
1. Dignity of Spirit - Unlucky Morpheus (this one is just pure goodness. My favorite from both lists I think. I really recommend listening to the live version)

Songs that came out this year:

Spoiler

10. Last Dance - Miyano Mamoru
9. Mononoke in the Fiction - Lie and a Chameleon
8. Homura - LiSA
7. Te Pareces Tanto a Mí - La Oreja de Van Gogh
6. String Theocracy - Mili
5. Kago no Tori - Unlucky Morpheus
4. JET - Polkadot Stingray
3. Saikai - LiSA/Uru
2. Unending Sorceress - Unlucky Morpheus
1. ¿Lo Ves? - La Oreja de Van Gogh

And a few soundtracks I listened to this year in no particular order:

Spoiler
  • Memories of an Ancient Ocean - Dragon Quest VIII
  • Heavenly Flight - Dragon Quest VIII
  • Great Battle in the Vast Sky - Dragon Quest VIII
  • Fighting Spirit - Dragon Quest VII
  • Unflinchable Courage - Dragon Quest XI
  • Safe Room - Resident Evil 2
  • The God-Slaying Sword - Xenoblade Chronicles
  • Riding (Day) - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • Talus Battle - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • Guardian Battle - The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild
  • Ancient Folklore - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

So that's it. I hope you guys like the idea and share your list. It's a nice way to finish/start the year.

Edited by Eluvianii

Ooh, this is a great idea!  I only made one list - I don't listen to a ton of stuff, so having a discovery, a 2020, and an instrumental list was going to be too many.  Therefore, I will immediately break tradition to construct one list from the shards of its demise.

No order:

Spoiler
  • Waiting Between Worlds - Zack Hemsey (The whole The Way album, actually.)
  • Hamilton - Lin Manuel Miranda
  • Kaladin - The Black Piper
  • House of Memories - Fall Out Boy
  • Fire and Thunder, Dwendalian War Anthem - Aiden Chan
  • You Say Run - My Hero Academia
  • Golden Time Lover - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
  • A Friend - Ludwig Gorannson
  • Natural - Imagine Dragons
  • Warriors - 2WEI
  • In the End - Linken Park

I actually did something similar this holiday! I posted the results for the music in the main music thread, but I'll repost them here too. All the results are something that I first listened to in 2020, with one exception.

Best Sanderson Inspired Song:

"Shattered Plains" by The Kepler Mission

Most Listened to Song:

"Heartless" by The Weeknd.

Runner-up is "The Evening Hate" (Alternate Version) by Red.

Best Song(s):

"Bokura no Hikari (Our Light)" by Lyn (from the Persona 5 Royal soundtrack),

"The Bigger Picture" by Lil Baby,

"Parasite Eve" by Bring Me the Horizon, 

"Jinsei no Hari" by Gesu no Kiwami Otome.

Runner-ups include:

"One Day the Only Butterflies Let Will Be In Your Chest As You March Towards Death" by Bring Me the Horizon,

"The Savior" by Nothing's Carved In Stone,

"Lemonade" by Internet Money

Best Discovered Band:

Band-Maid*

Runner-up is Meet Me @ the Altar

Best Album(s):

Post Human: Survival Horror by Bring Me the Horizon 

CONQUEROR by Band-Maid

Song I Want to Sing Most in Choir:

"Every Hour" by Kanye West

Song(s) That Best Describe 2020:

"World's On Fire" by Mike Shinoda (the exception to the rule, as I bought the full Post-Traumatic album when it came out) 

"Teardrops" by Bring Me the Horizon

Best Leitmotif:

"A Friend" by Ludwig Goransson

*I think I discovered Bring Me the Horizon late 2019, so I'm not counting it here. If I discovered them in 2020, then they tie with Band-Maid.

Actually all of the songs I listened to the most didn't come out this year. I basically just discovered a bunch of old songs and listened to them obsessively, so I can't really have a list for all three of the categories. A lot of them also remind me of story ideas I have, and that's why I listen to them so much. My taste in music is also kind of random...But I genuinely believe these are all interesting songs. (I got carried away and explained why I like some of these. So, uh, sorry if that's annoying.)

No order:

Spoiler
  • The Thunder Rolls - Garth Brooks 
    • Okay, this one has basically become the anthem for one of my fantasy novels. I have listened to this an unhealthy amount of times. Every time I hear it, I imagine a storyteller playing an instrument and telling a tragic love story to my main characters as they're sheltering from a storm. It's just.. so good. 
  • Dead Man's Party - Oingo Boingo
  • Weird Science - Oingo Boingo
  • Space Oddity - David Bowie
  • Land of Confusion - Genesis 
  • Come Sail Away - Styx
  • Soldier, Poet, King - The Oh Hellos
  • Come Along - Cosmo Sheldrake
    • So I have a mischievous character who's immortal, has somewhat questionable morals, and plays a flute.. This song just reminds me of him so much, and it's honestly crazy how clearly I can picture him singing this.
  • The Sound of Silence - Simon & Garfunkel
    • Admittedly, I already kind of knew about this song. But I think this year was the first time I actually listened to it and paid attention to the lyrics... and then my brain imagined a story that goes along with it. Honestly, if it's a song that gets my creativity working, it's probably one I love. 
  • Birdhouse in Your Soul - They Might Be Giants

I’ll join in on this!

Best songs I discovered this year (which may or may not have come out this year):

Spoiler

1. Driving Hours by Axel Flóvent

2. If I Knew How To Hold You by Andrew Belle

3. From Eden by Hozier

4. Across The Sea by The Sweeplings

5. Josephine by The Saint Johns

6. Elysium by Bear’s Den

7. West by Sleeping At Last

8. The Dead Waltz by Radical Face

9. In The Light by The Lumineers

10. Opaline by Novo Amor

And the best artists I discovered this year(defined as if I’ve delved into their music or not):

Spoiler

-Hozier

-The Sweeplings

-SYML

-Canyon City

-Ben Platt

-The Hunts

-Joshua Hyslop

-Birdy

-And one that seems like I really should have discovered before now: John Mayer.

On 1/1/2021 at 5:18 PM, Spren of Kindness said:

Therefore, I will immediately break tradition to construct one list from the shards of its demise.

Hey, I did say to participate as much or as little as you like. Saying "Post 30 songs or get out" would be beyond unreasonable.

23 hours ago, Use the Falchion said:

I actually did something similar this holiday! I posted the results for the music in the main music thread, but I'll repost them here too. All the results are something that I first listened to in 2020, with one exception.

I saw it, I was kinda worried this would look like I was ripping off your post, but heck, I wanted to share it. I like your categories, now I wonder what my most listened song was. I had a music player once that actually counted the times you listened to a song. I started getting worried when I tried it for the first time and Hana no Uta by Aimer was already over 100.

Also, Band-Maid is amazing. One of the best mistakes I've made was clicking on a video of theirs expecting to laugh. I feel bad now but at the time I was unable to take them seriously because of the attire, then they shut my mouth within two seconds of the song. Later I found that they dress like that because they want you to react that way. Well, it works. I'm a fan now.

17 hours ago, Flying said:

Actually all of the songs I listened to the most didn't come out this year. I basically just discovered a bunch of old songs and listened to them obsessively, so I can't really have a list for all three of the categories. A lot of them also remind me of story ideas I have, and that's why I listen to them so much. My taste in music is also kind of random...But I genuinely believe these are all interesting songs. (I got carried away and explained why I like some of these. So, uh, sorry if that's annoying.)

Not annoying, now I'm really curious about them. The Sound of Silence particularly is a song I've known about since forever but never actually was interested in listening to it, but your explanation got me thinking about it. 

10 hours ago, Jaywalk said:

And the best artists I discovered this year(defined as if I’ve delved into their music or not):

I'm kinda jealous. It's not difficult for me to fill a list with songs, but artists? I'm lucky if by the end of a year I can call myself a fan of two or three more bands than the year before. Looks like you had a good year to discover new stuff.

9 hours ago, Wyndlerunner said:

Gonna have to go with LiSA's Homura as my favorite song that came out this year. I'm pretty psyched for Mugen Train, and as a KNY manga reader, the lyrics hit hard. Really fitting for both the story of the film, and this year in general.

It's really good. Have you seen her singing it on the The First Take channel? If not I really recommend it, it always strikes different to see an artist actually end up crying while singing. On that note, I should really continue watching KnY. 

1 hour ago, Eluvianii said:

I started getting worried when I tried it for the first time and Hana no Uta by Aimer was already over 100.

Aimer! "Insane Dream" is my anime opening to Oathbringer. 

I like your categories

Thanks! I found them a fun way to include most of the songs that I liked and give them all a platform. The categories at the end of this year may look completely different, and I'm fine with that. 

Also, Band-Maid is amazing. One of the best mistakes I've made was clicking on a video of theirs expecting to laugh. I feel bad now but at the time I was unable to take them seriously because of the attire, then they shut my mouth within two seconds of the song. Later I found that they dress like that because they want you to react that way. Well, it works. I'm a fan now.

I had the exact same experience lol! Have you heard "Different" yet? It's so dope! I bought most of their albums, but I've been listening to CONQUEROR on repeat because it's that good. 

13 hours ago, Eluvianii said:

It's really good. Have you seen her singing it on the The First Take channel? If not I really recommend it, it always strikes different to see an artist actually end up crying while singing. On that note, I should really continue watching KnY.

Oh my gosh, yes. I loved that version of both Homura, and the one they didi of Gurenge.

On 2/1/2021 at 10:33 PM, Use the Falchion said:

Aimer! "Insane Dream" is my anime opening to Oathbringer.

Welp. Now I have the first candidate for the 2021 list.

Thanks! I found them a fun way to include most of the songs that I liked and give them all a platform. The categories at the end of this year may look completely different, and I'm fine with that. 

I kind of do that sometimes. I hate not including a something I love because it doesn't fit the category. When it comes to video game battles for example I would be able to choose a favorite normal battle theme, a favorite boss battle time, a favorite final boss theme, a favorite field boss theme, a favorite lesser final boss theme. I can keep creating categories like that and it may sound silly but sometimes it's just more fun to include more.

I had the exact same experience lol! Have you heard "Different" yet? It's so dope! I bought most of their albums, but I've been listening to CONQUEROR on repeat because it's that good. 

Now I have. Should have paid more attention to them, can't believe I didn't notice the video being uploaded, with the bell and all. This December I think I was too focused on Unlucky Morpheus. I've been following them for a while, but a few weeks ago I discovered the album they released this 2020 and that affected my listening habits (and the list) for the past month.

On 3/1/2021 at 10:30 AM, Wyndlerunner said:

Oh my gosh, yes. I loved that version of both Homura, and the one they didi of Gurenge.

Personally I'm extremely happy they did Catch the Moment recently. Literally like half the reason I subscribed when the channel started was in the hopes that some day they did that song. I was starting to lose that hope since the song is almost 4 years old and they seemed to focus on newer songs but it finally happened.

Here’s my Spotify top 10 list

Spoiler

1. I Wanna be in the Cavalry, Corb Lund

2. Suzannah, Shane Smith and the Saints

3. S Lazy H, Corb Lund

4. Hell of a Year, Parker McCollum

5. If You Ask Me To, William Clark Green

6. One Step Ahead, Tin Can Brothers

7. Hail Mary, Shane Smith and the Saints

8. I Wanna Be, Starkid Productions

9. Catch Me When I Fall, William Clark Green

10. Bible on the Dash, Corb Lund

Most of it is country music, but there’s a couple of musical theater songs in there.

• 4 months later...

While it's not time yet, I feel like my list for 2021 is shaping up very nicely! It's a little sad that I feel like I have most of the songs already figured out, but I have 6 more months to add new things, so the journey is FAR from over. 

Best Sanderson Inspired Song:

“Mistborn Rap” by Rustage

Best New Discovered Artists:

Abir

Against the Current

Atarashii Gakkou!!

Tye Tribbett

NF*

Most Listened To Songs:

“Amen” by Desiigner

“Giovanni” by Band-Maid (You’ll appreciate it even more if you can find an instrumental version.)

“Weapon (Acoustic Version)” by Against the Current

Best Songs:

“One Last Kiss” by Utada Hikaru

“Black Hole” and "About Us" by Band-Maid

“Lockdown” by Koffee

“Inferno” by Abir

“Lost” and “Story” by NF

“Follow the Signs” by Laura Brehm & Draper

Best Albums:

Unseen World by Band-Maid

CLOUDS (the Mixtape) by NF

Best Music Video:

“Finest Hour” by Cash Cash & Abir (Although "Inferno" is one of my favorites)

Best Throwbacks

“Explosive” by Bond*

“You & Me” by Disclosure

Song I want to sing most in choir: 

“We Gon’ Be Alright” by Tye Tribbett

Best Covers:

“One Last Kiss” by Amalee

“Simple & Clean” by Yvette Young

Best Leitmotifs:

“At the Speed of Force” by Junkie XL 

“Cyborg Becoming/All Too Human” by Junkie XL

Most Chill Songs:

“Double Bed” by Seiho

“Lovers In The Night” by Seori

"Gooey" by Glass Animals

Song I want to sing most in Karaoke:

“Trust” by NF

Best Describes the Year:

"Finest Hour" by Cash Cash ft Abir

Runner Ups

“P2” by Lil Uzi Vert

*NF was listened to previously, but I only truly discovered him this year. 

*Explosive is a throwback simply because I didn’t find out the name of the song until this year. 

Edited by Use the Falchion

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...