Wit question

DramaQueen

So are Wit's memories automatically stored in his Breaths or is it something he does manually? If it's the latter, why on earth would he store his most recent memories immediately?

Spoiler

Is this a good question or am I just dumb and forgot something?

It's also possible that a lot of his mind has expanded into investiture, so in a sense the Breaths ARE his memories, both long and short term - when he thinks, he doesn't think entirely with his brain, but also with the powers he has become a part of.

3 hours ago, Knight of Iron said:

My question is, what happens if he gives his Breaths away? Will they get the memories as well? Does that mean Susebron has access to all of the precious God King’s memories?

I think that if Wit gave his Breath away, yeah, you’d probably have some sort of access to those memories. Probably something like a Coppermind. I doubt Susebron has all the memores of his predecessors though, I think memories have to be intentionally stored, and I doubt the previous God Kings knew exactly how. It seems to be some sort of complicated investiture hack, not an innate power of Breath. Seems like it’s based on a Coppermind.

We know that Hoid is trying to gain access to as many types of magic as he can, but the only way to become a Feruchemist that we’ve seen is to use Hemalurgy, which I doubt Hoid is up for. Maybe he found a way to essentially become a Feruchemist by hacking Breath. 

Edited by Dannex

12 hours ago, Ixthos said:

It's also possible that a lot of his mind has expanded into investiture, so in a sense the Breaths ARE his memories, both long and short term - when he thinks, he doesn't think entirely with his brain, but also with the powers he has become a part of.

I think this is a good explanation. Just like a vessel when they take up a shard. Their body is destroyed, but they can still think. Hoid has probably lived so long and collected so much investiture, that when his physical memory runs out of space, instead of starting to forget things it just transfers the memory into the investiture that is conveniently stuck to his soul. I'm sure some of it was intentional as well, but we don't see Wit transferring his memories after the first time he spoke with Odium, so I would guess that it is automatic.