Corrupted spren

garlick

Before rhythm of war I had theory the corrupted spren were possible because of dead eyes. They didnt exist before the recreance which was confirmed in this book. Then in the san-janat interlude the spren she sent to consider mraise, before he left said "thank you mother for my eyes". I really feel like this why shes able to corrupt radiant spren now but wasn't able to in the past. The dead eyes have room for something to be added which the taker of secrets is taking advantage of. What do you guys think? Also during the relisten of that chapter I realized that its the same spren rlain bonds, I guess mraise wasnt worthy.

Edited by garlick

That makes a lot of sense, I hadn't noticed that quote in the book. That does seem to be a strong indication.

So what does that mean for Maya, who awakened more than usual without Sja-Anat? And is maya gonna be corrupted? Are we gonna see Adolin and Renarin both be corrupted radiants? I like this theory a lot.

I'd think we'd see more corrupted honorspren though, since they all died in the recreance

Edited by Stormtide_Leviathan

2 hours ago, garlick said:

Before rhythm of war I had theory the corrupted spren were possible because of dead eyes. They didnt exist before the recreance which was confirmed in this book. Then in the san-janat interlude the spren she sent to consider mraise, before he left said "thank you mother for my eyes". I really feel like this why shes able to corrupt radiant spren now but wasn't able to in the past. The dead eyes have room for something to be added which the taker of secrets is taking advantage of. What do you guys think? Also during the relisten of that chapter I realized that its the same spren rlain bonds, I guess mraise wasnt worthy.

"Don't tell anyone. I can't say it. I must whisper. I foresaw this."

This message was left by a Truthwatcher in the Urithiru gem archive; the phrase I foresaw this suggests that the Truthwatch had a corrupted spren.

1 hour ago, LordTheodore said:

"Don't tell anyone. I can't say it. I must whisper. I foresaw this."

This message was left by a Truthwatcher in the Urithiru gem archive; the phrase I foresaw this suggests that the Truthwatch had a corrupted spren.

Before the recreance, there were almost for sure a few dead eyes from radiants  that just couldn’t make the cut. Is it possible that this was the single occurrence of sja-anat corrupting a deadeye beforehand?

I don't remember where it was said, but they had said the taker of secrets could only corrupt lesser spren in past desolation and corrupting true spren was something new. I will agree this one statement goes against my idea, but seeing the future being something of odium started somewhere and I'm not convinced its because of a single corrupted spren from the recreance. To counter that thought, he could of been the first and when learning the bond allowed him to see the future could be where it all started. But that still allows room for the dead eye theory. Perhaps it was one of the first dead eyes created, then corrupted. Leaving time for a new bond to be made before the tower shut down. To go onto even more tinfoil hat territory theres nowhere near as many blades around for the number of radiance that we've seen drop them. There could be many more corrupted spren then we know about. They seem to be all over RoW and she even sent 2 corrupted wind spren to die just to hide the fact she sent another truthwatcher spren to the tower. She doesnt seem to be in short supply of them. Shes just keeping them hidden until she finds a place for them.

28 minutes ago, Truthwatcher Artifabrian said:

Before the recreance, there were almost for sure a few dead eyes from radiants  that just couldn’t make the cut. Is it possible that this was the single occurrence of sja-anat corrupting a deadeye beforehand?

Maya says that the spren and Radiants didn't expect the spren to go deadeye when they broke the bonds, which imo indicates that deadeyes weren't a thing before then (though there's other possibilities).

12 minutes ago, garlick said:

seeing the future being something of odium started somewhere and I'm not convinced its because of a single corrupted spren from the recreance.

I mean, there's Moelach and nightforms.

I always thought that maybe Honor has something to do with Sja-Anat not being able to corrupt the Radiant spren. There's a new possibility though; the imprisoning of Ba-Ado-Mishram wounded The Sibling and was an event that affected other beings native to Roshar. That event could be why spren now become deadeyes when Radiants break their Oaths and why they can be corrupted by Sja-Anat now.