A small detail about deadeyes...

This popped into my head out of nowhere.  Make of it what you will; I'd be interested to know if this spawns any theories.

According to the Coppermind:

Brandon has also confirmed that if the person who broke the Oaths re-swore them, the [deadeye] could return [to life]

Pre-ROW, this didn't mean much to me.  After all, it's not like any of the old Radiants were going to start resurrecting.  However, due to certain new information, suddenly this becomes extremely relevant.  This actually might open up some doors for the fifth book.  How long would reviving a spren this way take?  Would they return gradually, like Maya, or suddenly once the correct Oath is reached?  Would Shallan have to remember the exact truths she said back when she was I-forget-how-young?  

7 hours ago, Truthwatcher at the Rim said:

This popped into my head out of nowhere.  Make of it what you will; I'd be interested to know if this spawns any theories.

Pre-ROW, this didn't mean much to me.  After all, it's not like any of the old Radiants were going to start resurrecting.  However, due to certain new information, suddenly this becomes extremely relevant.  This actually might open up some doors for the fifth book.  How long would reviving a spren this way take?  Would they return gradually, like Maya, or suddenly once the correct Oath is reached?  Would Shallan have to remember the exact truths she said back when she was I-forget-how-young?  

Based off Kal and Syl, it’s immediate.

9 hours ago, Truthwatcher at the Rim said:

Well, the whole "deadeye" thing was revealed to only have begun with the trapping of BAM. Whatever Roshar-wide Connection Entanglement Melishi engendered in so doing not only zombified all the parsh, but made it so that forsworn Ideals didn't just sever the Nahel bond but trapped the spren in a half-death, kind of like the "something done broke with the Shaod" effect in Elantris.

In Elantris terms, all those deadeyes are probably like hoed spren :(

1 hour ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

Based off Kal and Syl, it’s immediate.

Yeah, but Kaladin didn't just re-swear his earlier Ideals. He had to "find the Words" to his NEXT (Third) Ideal to revive Syl.

So assuming that Shallan had/has reached the Third Ideal with both Testament and Pattern, being as both can be summoned as Blades (one silvery/dead and the other one glowing garnet/living), does that mean she needs to reach the Fourth Ideal to revive Testament? But which spren would the Ideal link to? Or does her bond to both of them "level up"?

This has got to be a component of all the RAFO type dodgy answers Brandon has given out over which Ideal Shallan is up to. She can do things like summon a Blade and Soulcast the goblet to blood in Kharbranth that suggest she already has an advanced bond, without having sworn the requisite number of Truths yet to Pattern... But she does also say Truths to Pattern, and can also summon a Patternblade for Kaladin and to operate the Narak Oathgate despite only saying a third Ideal (second Truth) to Pattern later in Urithiru, about killing her mother. So it's as if her having been a 3+ Ideal LW in the past has carryover effect to a second bond (and maybe the fact that she's bonded a Cryptic both times is relevant, as well).

That's based on inferring that that admission about her mother in Urithiru was her Third Ideal, since she hasn't ever manifested Shardplate yet.

Except that her self-image as Radiant at Thaylen Fields did have garnet glowing Plate.

Not that Radiant's ever done that since.

And hey, Radiant's the "construct" that Shallan still has around, where Veil considered herself "poofed away" after her primary duty - to veil Shallan from her memories of bonding and then renouncing Testament until she was ready to deal with it - was fulfilled.

Storms, this girl's a mess.

Edited by robardin

I wonder if this means that Dalinar could possibly resurrect all the Deadeyes in a major event. 

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/183/#e3910 

This WOB says that there's a spiritweb memory in the Spiritual Realm for a long time after someone dies. Dalinar can connect all the realms with his power. He might be able to allow the Radiants to re-swear their oaths through that to save bring back their Spren.

On 30/11/2020 at 10:05 PM, robardin said:

Well, the whole "deadeye" thing was revealed to only have begun with the trapping of BAM. Whatever Roshar-wide Connection Entanglement Melishi engendered in so doing not only zombified all the parsh, but made it so that forsworn Ideals didn't just sever the Nahel bond but trapped the spren in a half-death, kind of like the "something done broke with the Shaod" effect in Elantris

I agree with this. In fact it is said that Maya and other spren expected pain but not this death/ like frozen state. So clearly something major went wrong with BAMs imprisonment. 
So what will happen if the unmade were to be released? Is that what Shallan intends to with BaM? Would it automatically revive all deadeyes or simply remove a major hurdle ?

For Shallan’s first spren though it appears that should be easy to revive. What will that do? She will have two blades and Two plates. Anything else?

20 minutes ago, The Traveller said:

I agree with this. In fact it is said that Maya and other spren expected pain but not this death/ like frozen state. So clearly something major went wrong with BAMs imprisonment. 
So what will happen if the unmade were to be released? Is that what Shallan intends to with BaM? Would it automatically revive all deadeyes or simply remove a major hurdle ?

For Shallan’s first spren though it appears that should be easy to revive. What will that do? She will have two blades and Two plates. Anything else?

Could it possibly affect her Surgebinding in any way?

I honestly doubt anyone in world even knows; I wouldn't be surprised if her situation is completely unique.