What could Shallan have done to break an Oath

SzethIsBadAsHell

One of the things I have trouble with is Shallan breaking her Oaths and killing Testament ! It really doesn’t make any sense because Shallan is a light weaver . Out of all the orders Lightweavers have the least restrictions on what they owe thier Spren . If she was a wind runner and failed to protect someone she hated I could see it . But lightweavers have the first ideal and then they only have to tell deep truths about themselves . 
         I’m not getting. What she could of down that was so bad that it killed Testament . I understand she was a child and she was distraught at the death of her mother . I understand she probably rejected Testament after that ! But would telling truths in a timely manner really kill a cryptic ? 
       Don’t get me wrong I like the story arc , I just don’t get what or how she did that . What do you guys think ? Am I looking at this wring ??

1 hour ago, SzethIsBadAsHell said:

One of the things I have trouble with is Shallan breaking her Oaths and killing Testament ! It really doesn’t make any sense because Shallan is a light weaver . Out of all the orders Lightweavers have the least restrictions on what they owe thier Spren . If she was a wind runner and failed to protect someone she hated I could see it . But lightweavers have the first ideal and then they only have to tell deep truths about themselves . 
         I’m not getting. What she could of down that was so bad that it killed Testament . I understand she was a child and she was distraught at the death of her mother . I understand she probably rejected Testament after that ! But would telling truths in a timely manner really kill a cryptic ? 
       Don’t get me wrong I like the story arc , I just don’t get what or how she did that . What do you guys think ? Am I looking at this wring ??

She chose to break the oaths, including the first oath.

The easiest way to break the oaths is to just decide to. Like when in Dalinar's vision of the recreance, when all of the radiants broke their oaths and gave up their plate and blades, they didn't really do anything. They just decided they weren't going to live by the first oath ("Life before death, Strength before weakness, Journey before destination") and that broke the bonds and killed the spren.

Shallan shows us the moment where she killed Testament.

“Within it, a hidden place where a girl cried. The girl wept, then screamed, then said the terrible words.

“I don’t want you! I hate you! I’m done! You never existed. You are nothing. And I am finished!”

Shallan didn’t turn away. She wouldn’t. She felt the ripping sensation again. The terrible pain, and the awful horror. She hadn’t known what she was doing, not truly. But she had done it.

“I killed her,” Shallan whispered. “I killed my spren. My wonderful, beautiful, kindly spren. I broke my oaths, and I killed her.”

Funny I listened on audio book and missed this whole part . I wonder if Adolin figures out how restore maya will he show her how to restore Tastament .or a crazier thought . Since she is the one that broke the bond to Testament , it may be easier for her to reforge that bond . And by doing so give Adolin insight on what he needs to do . 

She could have killed testament by refusing or lying about testament's existence which could in turn kill it since she is only telling lies to it and denying it being attached to her. Otherwise I have to agree the only way to kill it could be just failing the first ordeal. 

I think one of the major parts of the Nahel bond is the idea of consent. Both parties have to agree to the bond (the Radiant with Oaths, the spren with choosing to stay with the Radiant). All a Radiant has to do is decide "No. I'm not doing this anymore." and they break their bond. And when it comes to Testament and Shallan, we have to remember that, as a Lightweaver, Shallan's Oath's are truths, and Shallan's general method of coping seems to be denying or rewriting her truth. Testament was one of Shallan's only ways of telling the truth (she confides in Testament, and their bond grew because Shallan would allow herself to be vulnerable with Testament). By saying "I don't want you," "I'm done," and "You never existed," Shallan not only explicitly states that she doesn't want the Bond anymore, but she's also making the decision to return to hiding and ignoring the truth. 

At least, that's what I think.