Theory - High Prince Valam's Death Rattle referencing Honor Spren?

Big Banana

During my reread of WOR I came across High Prince Valam's death rattle in Taravangian's interlude:

'So the night will reign for the choice of honor is life.'

At first I thought it might be referencing the Windrunners sparing the fused or was connected to the suckling child death rattle in WOK. But what if it's referencing the Honor Sprens' unwillingness to bond? The night will rule because the Honor Spren don't want to die.

7 minutes ago, Big Banana said:

During my reread of WOR I came across High Prince Valam's death rattle in Taravangian's interlude:

At first I thought it might be referencing the Windrunners sparing the fused or was connected to the suckling child death rattle in WOK. But what if it's referencing the Honor Sprens' unwillingness to bond? The night will rule because the Honor Spren don't want to die.

This makes a lot of sense. The night could refer to Voidbringers

38 minutes ago, Big Banana said:

I actually thought it was a reference to Honor’s death. After Honor’s death, the people of Roshar were left without a deity. They were left in the dark, or night. The “choice of honor is life” could be an allusion to how he fought for humanity until the very end. The Death Rattle could also be a reference to the first Ideal of the Knights Radiant (particularly “life before death”). The choice of honor would be swearing the Immortal Words, something very few have gotten away with. The night that is reigning is the dark times without Surgebinders, who glow with Stormlight.  

I'm not certain that 'the night' is a bad thing. Like the Nightwatcher is just a Cultivation thing, and Nightform is the only Form of Power that the Song of Secret seems neutral on. 'The night' might be a reference to Cultivation; the people of Honor choose to live, so Roshar ultimately ends up under Cultivation's control.

Don't you love how everyone can take away something different from Death Rattles?

I read it as maybe Honor had a chance to beat Odium or something, except that it would require sacrifices Honor was not willing to make.   Like, "Odium will reign because Honor choose not to use/sacrifice/kill people."   Or maybe even that he had a chance at killing Odium, but he would have had to do it dishonorably, and thus was not able to.

• 1 month later...

I thought it might reference how the first 5 books end. Night will reign because the Knights Radiant hold to their oaths but win in the end in the last 5. I love how in I think all of brandon's books the main characters win, so we know what the ending will be like in the Last Stormlight Books but we don't know How and thats the part driving us crazy because we know how epic it will be!