Neon Reads The Wheel of Time

aneonfoxtribute

There's a strange kind of tension in a main character's love interest being someone who is by all rights should be a villain.

It's very interesting how Mat's relationship with Tuon seems to be a self-fulfilling prophecy. It likely wouldn't have happened if Mat hadn't been told that he was to marry the daughter of the nine moons. Maybe the Pattern would have contrived it another way but as it happened, it's self-fulfilling and wouldn't have happened if Min said nothing

What in the good god damn just happened, why the hell did Mat just imagine a crowd of people? What the hell kind of explanation is that gonna have?

22 minutes ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

What in the good god damn just happened, why the hell did Mat just imagine a crowd of people? What the hell kind of explanation is that gonna have?

Spoiler

The Pattern, due to the DO's influence, is beginning to unravel.

Suroth wants Rand to meet Tuon? How is she gonna make that happen when she has no idea where Tuon is?

We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
We ran to the sounds of the thunder.
We danced among the lightning bolts,
And tore the world asunder.
The End
Of the Tenth Book of
The Wheel of Time
Overall a pretty good book, not as good as the last two books. I get why people don't like this book, but I enjoyed it well enough. There was enough plot progression that I'd say that I don't think people are being fair when they say nothing happens. It's just a lot of buildup for things in the next book

Edited by aneonfoxtribute

8 hours ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

Welp, Egwene's been kidnapped. What in the hell was she even trying to do? Should I know that yet? I'm genuinely not sure if I just don't remember what she's trying to do

I thought the answer was provided in that chapter, but she was trying to fuse the chains they use to block the harbor into solid bars of Cuendillar, which would permanently block the harbors (since its unbreakable) and make it harder for Tar Valon to resupply and bring in soldiers unless they removed them altogether (by literally breaking off parts of the walls they are attached to) in which case they couldn't block the harbors from hostile ships. as-is they can raise and lower them at will to let in ships they want and keep out ones they don't.

9 hours ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

Is that an actual spoiler? I'm asking a hypothetical question, not actually expecting an answer if it's not ready to be given yet.

It could be considered one, but not in a major way. It's fine if you read it, fine if you don't.

3 hours ago, Dunkum said:

I thought the answer was provided in that chapter, but she was trying to fuse the chains they use to block the harbor into solid bars of Cuendillar, which would permanently block the harbors (since its unbreakable) and make it harder for Tar Valon to resupply and bring in soldiers unless they removed them altogether (by literally breaking off parts of the walls they are attached to) in which case they couldn't block the harbors from hostile ships. as-is they can raise and lower them at will to let in ships they want and keep out ones they don't.

They didn't say outright that that was what was happening, they implied that it was something to do with the harbor but I think they left it up to implication what was happening. Or maybe I'm just dumb and missed it.

2 hours ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

They didn't say outright that that was what was happening, they implied that it was something to do with the harbor but I think they left it up to implication what was happening. Or maybe I'm just dumb and missed it.

could be i'm slightly off on when stuff gets discussed openly - might be one of Egwene's first chapters int eh next book that they talk about it, but there are at least some hints if you felt like digging for them. like the fact that Leane and Egwene are the best at making Cuendillar

Just now, Dunkum said:

could be i'm slightly off on when stuff gets discussed openly - might be one of Egwene's first chapters int eh next book that they talk about it, but there are at least some hints if you felt like digging for them. like the fact that Leane and Egwene are the best at making Cuendillar

Yeah someone suggested it in the Discord and it makes the most sense. I probably could have figured it out if I reviewed everything, the hints were there. 

11 minutes ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

Well so much for seeing Seanchan society on the mainland. I was actually very interested in a lot of things about their society that would only be seen back home, but this is fine

IIRC Jordan was planning to do a sequel series about Tuon reclaiming Seanchan as the rightful empress. Unfortunately, he passed before it could be written.

Like before this I didn't really think of Elaida as dumb. I thought of her as exceptionally arrogant but not dumb. She's a shrewd person trying to do what she thinks is best, for better and for worse, and she hasn't done very much that sticks out as particularly stupid to me. This is exceptionally stupid. Her own pride refuses to let her acknowledge that Egwene could be a legitimate threat on her own, so instead of having her killed and cutting off the head of the rebels, she just throws her back in white and expects her to behave. 

I'm very intrigued by how Mat will respond when he's forced to actually reckon with the fact that his to-be wife is a Seanchan and would almost certainly collar half of his friends if given the slightest chance. He's mostly done a good job avoiding it so far but he's gonna HAVE to face that eventually. And I'm really interested in what he's going to say and do when that time comes. Cuz like that's a pretty big thing you have to deal with. When your wife is the LEADER of the people who could and would see multiple people you know, love, and have sworn to protect treated like animals (literally half of the women he grew up with can channel), that requires a response eventually. Mat would introduce him to his family and Tuon would command that collars be put on his god damn sisters. I imagine she'll have her character development by that time but like there's gonna be some JUICY drama there. That's a large part of why I want a lot more Mat focus right now, because I NEED to see him actually confront that instead of continuously avoiding it like he's been. I like that he's trying to force it to work but something has to give eventually, and it ain't gonna be Mat accepting that his Bode deserves to be in chains for the rest of her natural life

Edited by aneonfoxtribute