• Mezzo-Soprano
    • Contralto
    • Countertenor
    • Tenor
    • Baritone
    • Bass
    • Other

10 hours ago, Condensation said:

Like Phantom of the Opera, those high notes are my favorite.

I wish I could sing that. Right now I'm working on a song and the highest note is a Bb5, and even that feels hard for me. 

I'm usually put in the Alto sections for things, but that's mostly because I can actually read music. I was almost cast as Rapunzel in Into the Woods once, and that's high key terrifying to think about.

Edited by Illwei

15 hours ago, Illwei said:

I wish I could sing that. Right now I'm working on a song and the highest note is a Bb5, and even that feels hard for me. 

I'm usually put in the Alto sections for things, but that's mostly because I can actually read music. I was almost cast as Rapunzel in Into the Woods once, and that's high key terrifying to think about.

4 hours ago, Condensation said:

love Into the Woods!

I was Florinda in Into the Woods at my school, but we didn't get all of our performances because then CORONA happened. I wouldn't be as mad if one of the performances we had to cancel wasn't our recording night, but it was, so we didn't get a full-show performance recording, just a concert-style one without the cool moving set and all the fancy tech stuff. :angry:

3 minutes ago, DramaQueen said:

I was Florinda in Into the Woods at my school, but we didn't get all of our performances because then CORONA happened. I wouldn't be as mad if one of the performances we had to cancel wasn't our recording night, but it was, so we didn't get a full-show performance recording, just a concert-style one without the cool moving set and all the fancy tech stuff. :angry:

That sucks, yeah :(. . the step family would all be so fun to play. I ended up being Jack's mother.
Moving set? Man, that's fancy :P. At least you got to do something!

Yeah, this is me delving out of singing territory, but three shows I was going to be working on ended up being cancelled. 

Delving back into singing territory, and maybe a controversial opinion, Legit Soprano songs are better. than anything.

7 minutes ago, revelryintheart said:

That person needs to be slapped. Altos are literally every choir teacher's favorites.

Man. What choir are you in? I wish. My teachers favorites were always sopranos. 

This person also thinks that barotones and basses are tenors who dont work hard enough :P.

44 minutes ago, Illwei said:

"altos are just sopranos who don't work hard enough"

EDIT: I am..I'm joking. there's someone I know who believes this.

Well, you can improve your range, but not that much. It seems like this person values the high notes more than they value the low notes, am I right?

Tell them that you're going to chop their feet off next time they bring it up. Then when they're confused and maybe offended, say, "See, every part is important. Except maybe the appendix, which is rather useless. Which group of singers would you say are the appendix? What do you think the ear is? What about the voice box? Is that the sopranos, do you think?" and then get carried off on a tangent and this person will completely forget the point you were trying to make.

Edited by Condensation

32 minutes ago, Illwei said:

Man. What choir are you in? I wish. My teachers favorites were always sopranos. 

This person also thinks that barotones and basses are tenors who dont work hard enough :P.

In my choir the Altos were the favourite. But then again I'm a Mezzo-Soprano (Soprano 1 or 2 in that choir though, depending on the song), and I was one of the teacher's favourites. Not to brag or anything. :) 

That person doesn't know much about choir or singing in general then. You should teach them, I think that they would benefit from learning. 

Edited by Cosmical Existence

2 hours ago, Cosmical Existence said:

That person doesn't know much about choir or singing in general then. You should teach them, I think that they would benefit from learning. 

They have a major in some form of classical music. :P.  they do know things, they just also believe that people should be able to sing higher.

3 hours ago, Illwei said:

That sucks, yeah :(. . the step family would all be so fun to play. I ended up being Jack's mother.
Moving set? Man, that's fancy :P. At least you got to do something!

Yeah, this is me delving out of singing territory, but three shows I was going to be working on ended up being cancelled. 

Delving back into singing territory, and maybe a controversial opinion, Legit Soprano songs are better. than anything.

It was pretty fun!

Ok, I'm going to try to explain the set. There were a bunch of small moving units of varying shapes. Some had different levels, some had/were ramps (Cinderella's Prince and Baker's Wife made out on the ramp unit. :D) The units could latch together, forming a sort of smaller stage on top of the stage and kind of creating the different scenes and sections of the woods. The tech crew would move them around and rearrange them, even slowly rotating the combined units during Stay With Me. On opposite sides of the stage were Cinderella's Mother's tree and Rapunzel's tower, which had little units that would open up around them, creating the set of the Baker's house and Cinderella's house respectively. These units could be closed up to open more of the stage. There was also a carriage that techies would go underneath, hidden in almost complete darkness, following a line of bright paint and pushing the carriage across the stage. I got to ride in the carriage twice, so that was really fun. :P

50 minutes ago, DramaQueen said:

It was pretty fun!

Ok, I'm going to try to explain the set. There were a bunch of small moving units of varying shapes. Some had different levels, some had/were ramps (Cinderella's Prince and Baker's Wife made out on the ramp unit. :D) The units could latch together, forming a sort of smaller stage on top of the stage and kind of creating the different scenes and sections of the woods. The tech crew would move them around and rearrange them, even slowly rotating the combined units during Stay With Me. On opposite sides of the stage were Cinderella's Mother's tree and Rapunzel's tower, which had little units that would open up around them, creating the set of the Baker's house and Cinderella's house respectively. These units could be closed up to open more of the stage. There was also a carriage that techies would go underneath, hidden in almost complete darkness, following a line of bright paint and pushing the carriage across the stage. I got to ride in the carriage twice, so that was really fun. :P

Dang, what's it like having money? :P.  Wow okay yeah I guess not being able to perform with all that is really dissapointing, and probably even more so for the builders/designers.
we had about three levels of platforms but that was it. Rapunzel's tower was a big rock on the left that she stood behind. :P. Artistic decisions?

The real question is did you guys do "our little world" ?

1 minute ago, Illwei said:

Dang, what's it like having money? :P.  Wow okay yeah I guess not being able to perform with all that is really dissapointing, and probably even more so for the builders/designers.
we had about three levels of platforms but that was it. Rapunzel's tower was a big rock on the left that she stood behind. :P. Artistic decisions?

The real question is did you guys do "our little world" ?

We don't actually have a lot of money, but our director has literally gotten awards for his sets, so that's cool. The set was completely designed by our director and made by our director, us, and volunteers.

No, we were going to, but then we ended up cutting it out because it was too hard to get the witch up into the tower that quickly. Did you?

Just now, DramaQueen said:

No, we were going to, but then we ended up cutting it out because it was too hard to get the witch up into the tower that quickly. Did you?

Yeah, Tbh honestly one of my favorite songs from our show, but that's mainly because our witch was really good. We didn't have a big tower for us to worry about lol.

Just now, Illwei said:

Yeah, Tbh honestly one of my favorite songs from our show, but that's mainly because our witch was really good. We didn't have a big tower for us to worry about lol.

Our witch was incredible!!! 

Oh, funny story that isn't really funny at all... The night before opening night, we have a sort of soft opening, where families of the cast are able to come watch. That night, during Last Midnight, our Little Red flew across the stage and hit into the tree, getting a minor concussion and a broken collarbone. She was able to perform the next night, didn't even use a full sling, but she was kind of in pain and it was super scary.

Just now, DramaQueen said:

Our witch was incredible!!! 

Oh, funny story that isn't really funny at all... The night before opening night, we have a sort of soft opening, where families of the cast are able to come watch. That night, during Last Midnight, our Little Red flew across the stage and hit into the tree, getting a minor concussion and a broken collarbone. She was able to perform the next night, didn't even use a full sling, but she was kind of in pain and it was super scary.

There's always one of those, am I right? Not necessarily that bad, but there's an injury or event that everyone talks about for forever.

17 minutes ago, Condensation said:

There's always one of those, am I right? Not necessarily that bad, but there's an injury or event that everyone talks about for forever.

I mean, terrible tech week = wonderful show according to the mythology, amirite? :P.

Also, I mean, uh, I've never had anything like that happen in my shows iirc...so...