Where to look for unlocatable places?

Oltux72

Now, I know we got name dropped and are on cosmeric cloud nines, seventh heavens and are envisaging Jasnah and Kaladin, Sylspear in hand, exploring the dragon nests of Vax.

But if you were a native Rosharan , albeit one who had made a trip to Shadesmar and met Azure, what would you think? Other worlds, maybe but only maybe. There are other possibilities:

• the Rosharans cannot possible know that there is just one continent on Roshar
  • They do know that there are unknown places in Shadesmar

So what will it be? They do know that there are alien populations of people. They have to explain Azure. But other planets? Rosharans have optics, so they must have some astronomy. They must know that Roshar is a planet, how large it is and that it orbits its sun. They must also know that there are other planets in the system. But do they know that stars are suns?

They didn't seem especially shocked by the concept of Azure being from another world, and Azure can't possibly be the first Worldhopper to be less than subtle about the whole thing; stories about other habitable worlds being out there somewhere must've leaked into their folklore at some point. 

Which doesn't necessarily mean that they'd leap to the conclusion that the places the Ghostbloods are looking at are other worlds, but the idea isn't a foreign concept to them or anything. 

And, anyway, given Ialai's comment about Gavilar seeing entire worlds, she probably had some idea of what those places were, and so there are probably some hints that'll push the characters in the right direction in there.

Huh. I wonder if Ialai's notes are gonna be a set of epigraphs. 

18 minutes ago, Gilphon said:

They didn't seem especially shocked by the concept of Azure being from another world, and Azure can't possibly be the first Worldhopper to be less than subtle about the whole thing; stories about other habitable worlds being out there somewhere must've leaked into their folklore at some point. 

There is also the Iriali concept of  "Long Trail" - not to mention the recently deciphered Eila Stele

In Edgedancer, Arclo tells Lift something like:

Long ago, in a land you will never visit...

And of course Felt’s little hint to Dalinar in Oathbringer: 

“Well, best I could figure, she doesn’t like foreigners.” 

“I might have trouble too”

“You’re a little less foreign, sir.” 

I think now that the main cast is realizing the possibility of other worlds, weird comments like this will carry a lot more weight. 

28 minutes ago, Karger said:

The spren know a bit.  Also Nightblood should recognize Nalthis.

You are raising an important point. Why can Nightblood talk to people or understand them for that matter? It was made hundreds of years ago on another world. If it used a form of telepathy would it recognise the phonetic realisation of a word? Even more basic, can Nightblood actually hear in a physical sense?

1 hour ago, Oltux72 said:

Even more basic, can Nightblood actually hear in a physical sense?

I don't think so.  He does not see either.

1 hour ago, Oltux72 said:

You are raising an important point. Why can Nightblood talk to people or understand them for that matter? It was made hundreds of years ago on another world. If it used a form of telepathy would it recognize the phonetic realization of a word?

I think he should.  He understands language well enough to use the word beautiful. 

I know we have been getting Cosmere easter eggs all over the Cosmere books, but on Stormlight Archives there are too many. Also there are more Cosmere aware secondary charachters and they interact way more with the protas than on other books. I just have been feeling for a while now like our main charachters are smart enough and have received enough subtle clues to become aware, at least to a certain point, on the following books. BTW I also really really reaaaaally want them to do the big Cosmere jump!!!!