Well, I should introduce myself, shouldn't I?

NoctemSanguis

Well, I should introduce myself, shouldn't I? I have been here (or at least had an account) for about four months, so it seems appropriate that I actually post something and say hello to the community.

I first got hooked (or Spiked) into Sanderson's books a year and a half ago, when a friend introduced me to Mistborn, The Final Empire. In under a week, I had read the entire trilogy (and ended up finishing it before the friend who introduced me). From there it was about a half a year before I wandered into the Cosmere in truth, as one day I happened upon the Way of Kings in my local library, and consumed it in under a day. After that, I simply read every Sanderson book I could get my hands on, slowing down slightly when I found the Wheel of Time, and only leaving the books I was unable to find unread (I have since lost count of the number of re-read for most of these books). At some point, I found my way the 17th Shard, and, finding some truly fantastic and well-considered theories and discussions, consumed theories, listened to most of Shardcast, and absorbed much of the Coppermind before I finally made an account.

To preempt some of the most common inquiries, I provided a selection of answers to what I have observed to be the most common questions below;

• My favorite character is Nighblood, with my next favorite would be a seven-way tie between Vasher, Hoid, Vivenna, Lightsong, Vin, Marsh, and Pattern.
  • For least favorite characters, it has to be Dilaf, Zane, Kabsal, and Denth. 
  • In terms of favorite book, it has to be Warbreaker (and not only because of Nightblood).
  • For magic systems, it has to be Awakening, simply due to its versatility and utility, with [Zinc] Feruchemy a close second.
  • When considering the Orders of Knights Radiant, I would want to be a Willshaper or Elsecaller, while the quiz would say Elsecaller and Truthwatcher.
  • As it is a much shorter list, the Cosmere books I have not read are as follows; The Emperor's Soul, White Sand Volumes 1-3, Mistborn Secret Histories, and Arcanum Unbound.
  • The only non-Cosmere books of Sanderson's that I have read are Steelheart and the Wheel of Time books 11-14.

Humph I go and make an incredible greeting message and then you gotta be all prepared and organized. People these days :P. But you still get it anyway. Think I got some you didn't answer :D

Welcome to the Shard! We hope your trip through inter-dimensional space to reach our lovely section of the internet was as enjoyable as possible. If you were traveling with any magical pets or items you will be able to retrieve them in the “Checking and Bagging” section of the spaceport. If you have any questions, our forum members tend to be well versed in the advanced art of “conversation” and “being a nice person.” Please do not hesitate to ask! As a precautionary screening measure, we would love to know what has been your favorite book in the Cosmere. If you would like to provide additional answers to verify your identity as not an evil being set on destroying us and everything we stand for, answers to questions such as, “What do you think of as the most critical event in the history of the Cosmere?”  “What was the first book in the Cosmere that you read and do you wish you had started elsewhere?” and “Which magic system would you bring into the real world, if you could only choose one?” serve as useful measures of your non-evil identity. As for everything else, grab your bags and get ready for a ride, we hope you enjoy your stay here at the 17th Shard!

Edited by Scout_Fox

Checking and Bagging? Are we going to Nalthis? I do hear they have good customs.

And for the most critical event, it seems to me that it must be the Shattering, as without that none of these books (at least the Cosmere ones) or the events within could have been possible. Well, most of them. As for a magic system to bing into the real world, it would have to be Feruchemy as it seem (to me at least) to have the most constructive and least harmful effects, with the plus side of having some really wired physics. Also, the only reason it is this organized is that I am a bit of a perfectionist, and spent almost a month agonizing over each and every word.

3 minutes ago, NoctemSanguis said:

Checking and Bagging? Are we going to Nalthis? I do hear they have good customs.

And for the most critical event, it seems to me that it must be the Shattering, as without that none of these books (at least the Cosmere ones) or the events within could have been possible. Well, most of them. As for a magic system to bing into the real world, it would have to be Feruchemy as it seem (to me at least) to have the most constructive and least harmful effects, with the plus side of having some really wired physics. Also, the only reason it is this organized is that I am a bit of a perfectionist, and spent almost a month agonizing over each and every word.

Yes sir, seems to check out. Got slight signs of perfectionism on the scanner but other than that the answers seem well within the range of not evil.

Lol ok more serious now (but what's the fun in that?). Quite good answers, very well thought out. I would most definitely agree on the Shattering, everything would be... yknow... just a tad different without it. Feruchemy is also a good choice (just as long as you make sure Hemalurgy isn't being smuggled along as well... yikes). We need more things in our world that focus on balance and are end-neutral. And for the last bit... wow... that's thorough... jk jk a fair amount of us are you are in good company here. But seriously, no need to worry everyone is amazing around here and super supportive (and you can always edit your post :D). Maybe like 2 weeks would be a good goal for the next post lol :P 

@Darkfinder Well, the answer to that would heavily depend on when. For instance, Scadrial Era One (as well as the time leading up to the Lord Ruler's Ascension and the end of Classical Scadrial) seem rather ... unpleasant, to say the least, as does; Roshar before Aharietiam, Ashyn in general, and Nalthis during the Manywar, to name a few. I would say that Scadrial during Era Two sounds relatively pleasant, as does Arelon (excepting during the Reod). Although I may wish to say Nalthis, it seems too unstable for most of its history for me to be comfortable living there.

6 hours ago, NoctemSanguis said:

My favorite character is Nighblood, with my next favorite would be a seven-way tie between Vasher, Hoid, Vivenna, Lightsong, Vin, Marsh, and Pattern.

Big tie.

For magic systems, it has to be Awakening,

That's a given, being that it's in Warbreaker, correct?

Oh, and by the way, welcome and all that other greeting stuff.

As it is a much shorter list, the Cosmere books I have not read are as follows; The Emperor's Soul, White Sand Volumes 1-3, Mistborn Secret Histories, and Arcanum Unbound.

Emperor's Soul and Mistborn: Secret History are included in Arcanum Unbounded, which is a collection of short stories. Also rectify this immediately! Emperor's Soul is a fan favourite here for a reason and Secret History is no slouch either! Go get the Arcanum Unbounded!