Elhokar's eulogy

Oltux72

We'd do a press release (I am sure there are prerecorded versions of releases to be made in the case of the death of a prime minister, president or monarch). The Alethi are in an occupied country with a government in exile who have just lost their king. There is also diplomacy to consider. You need to say something.

Somebody - I guess Navani, it is the last thing she can do for her son - will have to compose some sort of eulogy. How do they spin it? A valiant king's last stand to be felled by a traitors knife while sheltering his son with his own body? Do they put the blame on Aesudan? Elhokar facing overwhelming odds in going against an Unmade with only a few heroes and a Blade in hand and gloss over her involvement to not cause a rift with her house?

It looks kind of embarrassing to me that you have to explain away that a king dies having to storm his own home. What did they say?

29 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

We'd do a press release (I am sure there are prerecorded versions of releases to be made in the case of the death of a prime minister, president or monarch). The Alethi are in an occupied country with a government in exile who have just lost their king. There is also diplomacy to consider. You need to say something.

Somebody - I guess Navani, it is the last thing she can do for her son - will have to compose some sort of eulogy. How do they spin it? A valiant king's last stand to be felled by a traitors knife while sheltering his son with his own body? Do they put the blame on Aesudan? Elhokar facing overwhelming odds in going against an Unmade with only a few heroes and a Blade in hand and gloss over her involvement to not cause a rift with her house?

It looks kind of embarrassing to me that you have to explain away that a king dies having to storm his own home. What did they say?

Most likely, he died whilst rescuing the prince from an army of Parshendii and Fused. They would also play up the fact that he died in battle with his last act that of shielding his son so he could escape with the Windrunners. If there was any mention of the queen it would be that she was under the influence of an unmade and that she died trying to fight it. This would allow for her family to save face.  

I can see this:

A Brave king led expedition throu enemy forces to rescue his wife and son. He fought agains Voidbringers, human traitors and Unmade, and he fall in his Palace, with just few guards, fighting to shield others escape. He fall, but His mission was acomplished - his son was rescued, and loyal men brought him to the family, where he can grow and avenge his father in the future.

19 hours ago, Karger said:

Shallan will probably draw a picture.

She already had.

It depicted Elhokar kneeling on the ground, beaten down, clothing ragged. But he looked upward, outward, chin raised. He wasn't beaten. No, this man was noble, regal.

Perhaps her sketch of of King Elhokar, as he could have been, should have been - who knows, perhaps as he would have been - could be the basis for a larger oil portrait memorial, as they were not able to recover his body for the traditional Soulcasting. He'd have liked that.

It was probably left with his body as well, but with her Memories, Shallan can likely reproduce it again, if need be. (Though that was so personal a moment between the two of them, she'd have to be the one to remember what it meant to him.)

On 7/26/2020 at 4:57 AM, Oltux72 said:

Legit LOL! At least he didn't die in the bathroom like Commodus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodus#Assassination_(192)

It was a weird situation where they didn't know for weeks(?) what happened in Kholinar. They had spanreed transmissions that Elhokar's team was storming the palace and then nothing. Maybe a bit of mystery grew from that. 

After he was confirmed dead they can say he died in a valiant attempt to save his wife and son, fighting outnumbered against a voidbringer army with a Thunderclast and 3 Unmade. 

Probably need to keep a lid on what his wife was up to. 

4 hours ago, Child of Hodor said:

It was a weird situation where they didn't know for weeks(?) what happened in Kholinar. They had spanreed transmissions that Elhokar's team was storming the palace and then nothing. Maybe a bit of mystery grew from that. 

After he was confirmed dead they can say he died in a valiant attempt to save his wife and son, fighting outnumbered against a voidbringer army with a Thunderclast and 3 Unmade. 

Probably need to keep a lid on what his wife was up to. 

Elhokar did not die badly.

But word of Aesudan's behavior and actions in Kholinar would be spread from any of the survivors who escaped its fall, not to mention the fact that she was already "acting funny" before the spanreeds stopped working after the Everstorm hit (as the interlude with Pai occurs before, if not very long before, the releasing of the Everstorm).