How To Take Urithiru

Child of Hodor

I anticipate Odium will try to take Urithiru in book 4. Here’s how I think he does it.

Hit it high and low at the same time. Have a ground force come in through the caverns underneath. The human coalition knows about these caverns and it would be easy to bottleneck the Singers at the entrance. Another avenue of attack is needed.

Have Nale, the skybreakers that joined him and the fused that can fly attack from above using the gravitation surge to transport other Fused with them. 

The big advantage they could have is I think Odium can raise Everstorm up high enough to envelope Urithiru. He can control its speed as shown in Oathbringer, it laps the planet twice as fast as usual before the battle of Thaylen field and then comes to a complete stop. He can raise it up higher than it normally sits.

His flyers will have cover while the human flyers are hindered. I suspect it is dangerous for people Odium doesn’t like to fly in the Everstorm for very long. 

Hitting it high and low at the same time splits the human defenders while the Everstorm confuses and terrifies everyone. 

Also, try the Oathgate trick again. :) 

The only hitch I see is if the Everstorm counts as Odium enough for Dalinar to enforce the contest of champions. A Fused says Odium “rides the storm”. The diagram says Odium needs to avoid Dalinar or else Dalinar could force him to fight.  I don’t think it does count as long he doesn’t manifest a representation. But it’s a concern.

You could attack from the caverns, if you use a Fused with transformation/cohesion. Distract Jasnah and Shallan, so they can’t impede your progress with transformation, and widen those caverns. If Odium tries this, I suspect that the Coalition would be in serious trouble. The only way they could have a chance would be to unlock/revive the Tower. 

Edited by Innovation

3 hours ago, Child of Hodor said:

The only hitch I see is if the Everstorm counts as Odium enough for Dalinar to enforce the contest of champions. A Fused says Odium “rides the storm”. The diagram says Odium needs to avoid Dalinar or else Dalinar could force him to fight.  I don’t think it does count as long he doesn’t manifest a representation. But it’s a concern.

I think this might be a bigger problem then you realize.  As long as Odium hears the challenge directly I think it still counts.

Also, try the Oathgate trick again. :) 

Won't work.  They locked the Oathgate from the other side.

Hit it high and low at the same time. Have a ground force come in through the caverns underneath. The human coalition knows about these caverns and it would be easy to bottleneck the Singers at the entrance. Another avenue of attack is needed.

I don't think this is worth it.  A few hundred humans could stall any number of enemies indefinitely down there.  If they collapse the tunnel everyone you sent is wasted.

His flyers will have cover while the human flyers are hindered. I suspect it is dangerous for people Odium doesn’t like to fly in the Everstorm for very long. 

Fliers can't do much damage from outside and a limited amount inside.  Shardbearers can't hold ground.  This would sacrifice a large number of Skybreakers for no real gain.  Also if a radiant can reach the oathgate in time you might have to deal with tens of thousands of reinforcements showing up.

Why attack Urithiru?  It's probably the most fortified place on Roshar.  Conventional strategy would suggest you attack softer targets elsewhere, Vedenar, Azimir, Narak, and eventually put Urithiru under seige.  Unless you have a massive force advantage or some arcane reason Urithiru needs to fall first.

An alternative avenue of attack would be to use the Surge of Transportation to transport them all there, assuming that Transportation works as a kind of “teleport” ability as well as the Surge’s Realmatic Transition. You could have a few Transportation Fused transport them in all over the tower, seizing key locations. Use Skybreakers to unlock the Oathgates, and you have an army in the middle of Urithiru. 

8 hours ago, Innovation said:

An alternative avenue of attack would be to use the Surge of Transportation to transport them all there, assuming that Transportation works as a kind of “teleport” ability as well as the Surge’s Realmatic Transition. You could have a few Transportation Fused transport them in all over the tower, seizing key locations. Use Skybreakers to unlock the Oathgates, and you have an army in the middle of Urithiru. 

Yeah, but Hogwarts is protected against Apparating and Disapparating directly into -- d'oh!!.

2 hours ago, robardin said:

Yeah, but Hogwarts is protected against Apparating and Disapparating directly into -- d'oh!!.

In this case I actually agree.  If what was suggested was a concern the Radiants would have been stupid not to develop a countermeasure against it.

10 minutes ago, Karger said:

In this case I actually agree.  If what was suggested was a concern the Radiants would have been stupid not to develop a countermeasure against it.

Especially since the Fused have always had accesss to the Surges, and presumably all of the Surges, via Voidlight.

20 hours ago, ConfusedCow said:

Why attack Urithiru?  It's probably the most fortified place on Roshar.  Conventional strategy would suggest you attack softer targets elsewhere, Vedenar, Azimir, Narak, and eventually put Urithiru under seige.  Unless you have a massive force advantage or some arcane reason Urithiru needs to fall first.

It's been hinted that an active Urithiru would provide enormous benefits, food in particular who knows what else. Even if it's the most fortified position right now, striking before it could be activated may be a tactically sound idea. 

2 hours ago, Innovation said:

I agree that a transportation barrier exists, but how is it accomplished? Could the barrier be a Fabrial of some kind? Or is the Sibling somehow interfering with it? 

Either would make sense.  We don't really know how Urithiru works or the surge of transportation for that matter.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12.7.2020 at 5:58 AM, ConfusedCow said:

Why attack Urithiru?  It's probably the most fortified place on Roshar.  Conventional strategy would suggest you attack softer targets elsewhere, Vedenar, Azimir, Narak, and eventually put Urithiru under seige.  Unless you have a massive force advantage or some arcane reason Urithiru needs to fall firs

There is some secret hidden in Urithiru we don`t know about but Odium does.