Radiantspren vs Voidspren

DracostarA

Let me know if this has been discussed before, but I have been thinking about Voidspren compared to Radiantspren.

With Radiantspren, namely using Syl as an example, as their Radiant progresses with their Oaths their Spren gains more of a presence in the Physical Realm, and this can be shown by Syl becoming less childish and Windspren-like and gaining the ability for higher level thought as well as regaining a stronger memory of her past.

However, with the Voidspren we've seen, like Ulim and Yixli, there does not appear to be a particular bond with any individual, and yet they seem to have a very strong Physical presence, i.e. Ulim knew enough to help Venli regain some of the old forms of the Listeners.

I can think perhaps this Connection to the Physical Realm may be provided by Odium or Ba-Ado-Mishram directly, but there might be something different going on.

Does anyone have any speculation as to why this difference is?

1 hour ago, DracostarA said:

Let me know if this has been discussed before, but I have been thinking about Voidspren compared to Radiantspren.

With Radiantspren, namely using Syl as an example, as their Radiant progresses with their Oaths their Spren gains more of a presence in the Physical Realm, and this can be shown by Syl becoming less childish and Windspren-like and gaining the ability for higher level thought as well as regaining a stronger memory of her past.

However, with the Voidspren we've seen, like Ulim and Yixli, there does not appear to be a particular bond with any individual, and yet they seem to have a very strong Physical presence, i.e. Ulim knew enough to help Venli regain some of the old forms of the Listeners.

I can think perhaps this Connection to the Physical Realm may be provided by Odium or Ba-Ado-Mishram directly, but there might be something different going on.

Does anyone have any speculation as to why this difference is?

Well, Windspren are much more physical than Cognitive by default (the Honorspren in Shadesmar are in awe of Kaladin attracting them in the CR), so it could be that Odium based those Voidspren's presence in the realms on the Windspren.

I had a theory about the yellow spren being the same as the spirits of the mountains and that they have been influencing the Shin society in secret since the last desolation. I wrote this when all we had of OB were a couple of sample chapters, but I think some of the speculation is still valid, even if I’m not sure I buy the entire theory anymore. I’ll link it here if you want to give it a read :)

8 minutes ago, Ciridae said:

I had a theory about the yellow spren being the same as the spirits of the mountains and that they have been influencing the Shin society in secret since the last desolation. I wrote this when all we had of OB were a couple of sample chapters, but I think some of the speculation is still valid, even if I’m not sure I buy the entire theory anymore. I’ll link it here if you want to give it a read :)

I remember a theory that Yixli was some sort of Void-Honorspren (Odiumspren?) based on how she was somewhat of an opposite to Syl in visuals (whitish gold, odium's color instead of blue, Honor's color) and behaviors (lifting "pillars of translucent golden stone" from the ground to meet her to walk on instead of floating in the air, being short-tempered instead of caring). Heck, even her name sort of is, phonetically.

Yixli ("yickslee" is roughly how i pronounce that in my head. it looks worse in text.)
Xiiyl (something sort of like "seal" or "seeyl"?) I know this isn't truly "backwards Yixli" but rather an anagram of it, but still.
Syl ("Sill", approximately)