Spren Hemalurgy

OK this is complicated(hemalurgy tends that way).  Firstly you would be using a godmetal(probably Honor's but maybe Cultivation's or an alloy of both).  Secondly the spren would almost certainly not hold the charge particularly well(they don't like to stay in the PR and investature tends to bleed off quickly in the cognetive) and I am not sure how well it could obtain the investiture anyway given that spren have their own identity.  However assuming you did manage to spike out the extra bit of investiture out of an allomancer of feruchemist you could probably access the power yourself afterwards due to the effect of your spirits merging.

Edited by Karger

That would be three sDNAs interacting via a single spike. Spren can integrate themselves into sDNA somewhat, that's how the Nahel Bond works, but Investiture interferes with Investiture so it would be very difficult to find the right candidates. Shardblade would just sever or poke a hole through the Spiritweb of the person, this too would require a lot of finagling. The spren would have a hold over their... bondmate?, due to the hole in their Spiritweb. Unless they get melded somehow. I think you're more likely to get some sort of chimera monstrosity with this.

Edited by R J

1 hour ago, Sharddinnerplate said:

Nahel bonded Spren can appear as any shape as long as it is metal, technically they could become a nail right? Could you perform hemalurgy with a spren? Perhaps that would affect the bond and give the radiant allomancy/feruchemy??

Welcome to the Shard! I think that spren are just too invested to be usable as a Hemalurgic spike. They're basically pure investiture, so adding more and foreign investiture to the mix would be really difficult.

5 hours ago, RShara said:

Welcome to the Shard! I think that spren are just too invested to be usable as a Hemalurgic spike. They're basically pure investiture, so adding more and foreign investiture to the mix would be really difficult.

i'll second this.  Shardblades, and by extension any other metallic form a spren might choose to take, are among the most invested things we have seen.  it should be almost impossible to cram any additional investiture into that.

I agree with the above, a Shardblade is too Invested. Similarly, it's hard to push/pull on them with Allomany, Awaken them, stuff like that. Also, on a side-note:

6 hours ago, Karger said:

Firstly you would be using a godmetal(probably Honor's but maybe Cultivation's or an alloy of both). 

It would always be an alloy, but of varying degrees:

Alpharho

The metal of Shardblades. Cultivationspren versus honorspren, for example. Are they different metals?

Brandon Sanderson

No, but good question.

Alpharho

Are all orders the same alloy, essentially?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. There's a little asterisk on there, but not in the way you're asking... You could call those all the same alloy. Because the mixture to different spren is different, I think that you could argue that each one is its own alloy.

Alpharho

So, different proportions of tanavastium?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, but it doesn't quite work that way with these magics, right? I'm going to say that's up to the individual cosmerologist who is in the world, the arcanist, defining it. You would be able to find enough differences to legitimately call them different alloys if you wanted to.

Alpharho

Would you say different ratios of the same two metals?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. They are not going to have a third one in them, if that's what you're asking. But it doesn't quite work that way. Like, if you were going to take brass, you could measure the exact percentage. In this case, it is a thing; it's not like you could divide it up and split them apart, because they are a thing. And that thing would be called one thing.

Alpharho

But you won't say what that thing is called?

Brandon Sanderson

No, I won't say what that thing is called. But I think you and the 17th Sharders and folks that are dividing them would prefer to call them ten different things, and I think their nomenclature would be relevant.

Skyward Denver signing (Nov. 15, 2018)