How Rock was able to draw a Shardbow.

Spinner16

On 5/14/2020 at 10:13 PM, SingingMosaic said:

This for some reason got my brain turning over stuff about Rock and now one of my new favorite ideas is Rock is another Bondsmith.

Also for some reason I'm only seeing half of this thread? Interesting...

Rock as a Bondsmith would be WILD. Spiritual Adhesion brings all of Roshar together over a bowl of soup.

Just to show that windrunmer squires have gravitation, in part two of oathbringer, we hear

“Drehy, you used a quarter of a Basic Lashing, by Kaladin’s terminology?” Sigzil continued, still making notes.

A basic lashing is part of the gravitation surge. So it leads me to think that squires have gravitation. And therefore Rock could have used gravitation. I do still think it is weird that Brandon brings up how odd it is that he can draw the shard bow so it still might not be gravitation, but im still married to the idea that it is caused by some surge, possibly even tension (It would be slightly funny to have our first stoneward to be called Rock, I don't really think he would be a bondsmith but I have no basis for either possibility). Still I can't wait to read and find out, in the unfortunately maybe delayed until around book 5 novella for Rock. 

39 minutes ago, joesleepsalot said:

I always just read the passage with the simplest explanation: adrenaline. Kaladin was about to die, Rock had to act. 

We’ve all heard the stories of mom’s lifting cars off their kids in an emergency.

Yeah, hysterical strength + Light + his already prodigious strength would be my guess. Doesn't seem too far out of the question.

Edited by Invocation

The arrows are described as three fingers thick. I'm going to use my fingers for scale here. My hands are bigger than average but Alethi are tall so that feels accurate. That means the arrow is about an inch and a half thick.

A ballista bolt is about 2.5 inches thick from some quick googling. A 50 m shot with a 1lb bolt from a ballista I found had a draw weight between 4500 and 4700 lbs. Roshar's gravity is 70% of Earth's. So the shot would likely to go further on Roshar. And Rock's Arrow is about a third the mass of a ballista bolt. That puts the draw weight of a shardbow at around 1000lbs. (I could be doing the math wildly wrong so I'll put my source below if anyone wants to make corrections)

https://wattsunique.com/blog/1772-foot-lbs/

9 hours ago, Aminar said:

The arrows are described as three fingers thick. I'm going to use my fingers for scale here. My hands are bigger than average but Alethi are tall so that feels accurate. That means the arrow is about an inch and a half thick.

A ballista bolt is about 2.5 inches thick from some quick googling. A 50 m shot with a 1lb bolt from a ballista I found had a draw weight between 4500 and 4700 lbs. Roshar's gravity is 70% of Earth's. So the shot would likely to go further on Roshar. And Rock's Arrow is about a third the mass of a ballista bolt. That puts the draw weight of a shardbow at around 1000lbs. (I could be doing the math wildly wrong so I'll put my source below if anyone wants to make corrections)

https://wattsunique.com/blog/1772-foot-lbs/

But also remember that Grandbows They're not shards, not like shardblades are composed of metal and given the springy, return-to-original-shape property via an enhancement fabrial. So you'd have to calculate stuff based on the thing being metal but also having the springyness of a bow?...

Just now, Halyo_Alex said:

But also remember that Grandbows They're not shards, not like shardblades are composed of metal and given the springy, return-to-original-shape property via an enhancement fabrial. So you'd have to calculate stuff based on the thing being metal but also having the springyness of a bow?...

Draw Weight doesn't care about material, wood, metal, fiberglass, etc. It's just a measurement of how much force it takes to pull the lever back. The fabrials just make a material strong enough to not shatter from the force imparted bendable enough to be drawn back. We're still looking at how much force it takes to launch a 1.5 inch stick 50 meters with enough force to punch through the target.

And the other bit is confusing semantics. They're shardbows because people call them that. Shardblades aren't Shards like Honor or Cultivation either. Honorblades are more Shardblade than Shardblades. Every reader here knows what a Shardbow is but Grandbow is likely to get confusing.

Just now, Aminar said:

Draw Weight doesn't care about material, wood, metal, fiberglass, etc. It's just a measurement of how much force it takes to pull the lever back. The fabrials just make a material strong enough to not shatter from the force imparted bendable enough to be drawn back. We're still looking at how much force it takes to launch a 1.5 inch stick 50 meters with enough force to punch through the target.

Oh, really? Cool, I've learned something. :D

Just now, Aminar said:

And the other bit is confusing semantics. They're shardbows because people call them that. Shardblades aren't Shards like Honor or Cultivation either. Honorblades are more Shardblade than Shardblades. Every reader here knows what a Shardbow is but Grandbow is likely to get confusing.

And THIS is why I want to petition to call Shardblades/plate "Stormblades/plate" instead. Very thematically appropriate, and less confusing/etc with Shards of Adonalsium. But that would basically require convincing Brandon to retcon every mention of shard-somethings in SA to be storm-somethings, so it's not gonna happen.

2 minutes ago, Halyo_Alex said:

And THIS is why I want to petition to call Shardblades/plate "Stormblades/plate" instead. Very thematically appropriate, and less confusing/etc with Shards of Adonalsium. But that would basically require convincing Brandon to retcon every mention of shard-somethings in SA to be storm-somethings, so it's not gonna happen.

This is what I'm calling them now.

Just now, Halyo_Alex said:

Oh, really? Cool, I've learned something. :D

That would destroy some of the more natural linguistic decisions Brandon has made. Language develops in strange and often stupid ways. I mean... Think of how we use branding. Shard is a little bit like the i on iPod. It's this descriptor the people have started putting before any powerful combat based Fabrials. It stems from one misuse of a word into another. The same way humanity has always done. Language changes and the meta-narrative behind that makes the world feel more real. It gives a sense of history as you can track down the bizarre little things people have twisted and misused.

On 5/18/2020 at 6:16 PM, Aminar said:

That would destroy some of the more natural linguistic decisions Brandon has made. Language develops in strange and often stupid ways. I mean... Think of how we use branding. Shard is a little bit like the i on iPod. It's this descriptor the people have started putting before any powerful combat based Fabrials. It stems from one misuse of a word into another. The same way humanity has always done. Language changes and the meta-narrative behind that makes the world feel more real. It gives a sense of history as you can track down the bizarre little things people have twisted and misused.

Thank you so much for making me think of the "ShardPhone X"