Wandersail

Wax

Is anybody going to talk about Wandersail here?  Couldn’t find a thread post announcement about this.

Brandon Sanderson

Recently, I have been working on Stormlight, and video game time is much smaller than it was last year, because I just need to be sure that I am getting that book done by July 1st. The fifth draft needs to be done by July 1st. So, pretty tight scheduling, making this happen. Particularly if I want to have time to do the Wandersail novella that I would really like to do and have out before Book Four is, because there are certain things in Book Four that reference stuff in the Wandersail novella that isn't written yet.

YouTube Livestream 4 (Feb. 29, 2020)

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/413/#e13618

We know it is going to be in the year gap between SA3 and SA4 that it is about Rysn and Aimia and that is it as far as I know.  What should we discuss?

Edited by Karger

On 24/04/2020 at 3:33 AM, Karger said:

We know it is going to be in the year gap between SA3 and SA4 that it is about Rysn and Aimia and that is it as far as I know.  What should we discuss?

Like what’s possible there...?

Here’s my key questions:-

* Is there a Larkin colony on Aimia that Rysn’s Larkin can lead to?

* Will the Aimians stop Rysn? Or how will the Larkin interact with the Aimians, or stop them from forming shapes or stop their other powers?

* Are the Island Aimians in a similar delusion like the people of Uvara?

* Or will Rysn’s trip lead to that island from Uvara leading to a new land mass being identified on the map??

25 minutes ago, Wax said:

Like what’s possible there...?

Here’s my key questions:-

* Is there a Larkin colony on Aimia that Rysn’s Larkin can lead to?

* Will the Aimians stop Rysn? Or how will the Larkin interact with the Aimians, or stop them from forming shapes or stop their other powers?

* Are the Island Aimians in a similar delusion like the people of Uvara?

* Or will Rysn’s trip lead to that island from Uvara leading to a new land mass being identified on the map??

Sanderson mentioned (I think in the signing stream before yesterday's) that Book 4 references things that take place in the novella. So my take on it is: the "dangerous mission" that Team Odium decides to launch actually involves heading to Aimia because they received some Intel that there are weapons (Dawnshards? The missing Shardblades?) there, and Team Odium needs that advantage. Venli informs Team Honor, and that's when things start to heat up. Rysn's adventure is where the information originates from, but I can't say whether or not the information is correct once it reaches Team Odium. 

39 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

Sanderson mentioned (I think in the signing stream before yesterday's) that Book 4 references things that take place in the novella. 

He does say this, but he also said that Rysn will get an interlude each book. If Rysn has a whole novella worth of story in Wandersail, then of course her interlude in RoW will reference events in it. It could be more significant, of course, but since Brandon isn't completely sure that it will be done before RoW, I expect the connections to be mostly confided to Rysn's interlude, with only very minor connections elsewhere.

7 hours ago, ChickenLiberty said:

He does say this, but he also said that Rysn will get an interlude each book. If Rysn has a whole novella worth of story in Wandersail, then of course her interlude in RoW will reference events in it. It could be more significant, of course, but since Brandon isn't completely sure that it will be done before RoW, I expect the connections to be mostly confided to Rysn's interlude, with only very minor connections elsewhere.

Very good points, and you're probably right. But I can't imagine that Sanderson is feeling pressured to get this done if it was just an off-screen adventure. Before Firefight (Reckoners 2) came out, Sanderson released a novella that took place between Steelheart and Firefight. But I don't think he marketed as a "necessary" thing to write. It was just a small adventure, showing what the Reckoners missions look like now. To me, the same should be said for Wandersail and Book 4, unless the events in Wandersail are important to the story. 

8 hours ago, ChickenLiberty said:

58 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

Very good points, and you're probably right. But I can't imagine that Sanderson is feeling pressured to get this done if it was just an off-screen adventure. Before Firefight (Reckoners 2) came out, Sanderson released a novella that took place between Steelheart and Firefight. But I don't think he marketed as a "necessary" thing to write. It was just a small adventure, showing what the Reckoners missions look like now. To me, the same should be said for Wandersail and Book 4, unless the events in Wandersail are important to the story. 

I want juicy story-bending information in Wandersail enough that I’m going to mostly assume that there will be said juicy story-bending info in Wandersail. ;)

• Chaos locked this topic