Can Nightblood cut through Shardplate? Or shardblade?

simple answer we dont know yet from a few words of brandon we know that a shard blade cant cut him but what would happen to the shard blade we dont know nightblood can eat spren though and nightblood has way more investiture so it would do something 

Questioner

What would happen if a Shardblade hit Nightblood?

Brandon Sanderson

Nightblood would act like a Shardblade, in that it would stop a Shardblade. It is significantly more Invested than a Shardblade, so it would have some ramifications beyond that.

Barnes & Noble B-Fest 2016 (June 11, 2016)

Questioner

I am curious about, if sprens are pieces of the god power, and investiture is the power of the god, then can Nightblood consume spren?

Brandon Sanderson

He could theoretically -- yeah, he could totally consume spren. There's not even any “theoretically” to that.

Shadows of Self Chicago signing (Oct. 12, 2015)

39 minutes ago, the cardinal of death said:

simple answer we dont know yet from a few words of brandon we know that a shard blade cant cut him but what would happen to the shard blade we dont know nightblood can eat spren though and nightblood has way more investiture so it would do something 

Questioner

What would happen if a Shardblade hit Nightblood?

Brandon Sanderson

Nightblood would act like a Shardblade, in that it would stop a Shardblade. It is significantly more Invested than a Shardblade, so it would have some ramifications beyond that.

Barnes & Noble B-Fest 2016 (June 11, 2016)

Questioner

I am curious about, if sprens are pieces of the god power, and investiture is the power of the god, then can Nightblood consume spren?

Brandon Sanderson

He could theoretically -- yeah, he could totally consume spren. There's not even any “theoretically” to that.

Shadows of Self Chicago signing (Oct. 12, 2015)

Thank You!

40 minutes ago, Adonalsium'sSpren said:

Thank You!

your welcome as for shardplate the answer is the same we will have to wait and see but at the very least its probably going to react like if it was hit with a shardblade or honorblafe and take 2 hits to break i imagine that something more would happen but for now baseing the interaction off of what happens with the other 2 kinds of shardblades is our best bet 

Edited by the cardinal of death

I had been assuming that he'd act like any other shardblade in that both would block and each other and reduce things to more or less a normal swordfight the way Azure's blade does, but that that WOB that there would be ramifications beyond that because of Nightblood's significant Investiture makes me think it might just be a little more lop sided.  Would they block once or twice but be nearly immediately overwhelmed and Break?  I suspect that would be the case with Plate, where there is precedent for damage, but Blades are historically invulnerable to that kind of damage and so far have no known mechanism for repair.  We know that a spren in blade form is more durable than a spren in their native form, since Kaladin so easily destroyed one with Syl. How developed the Bond is might also play a role, as in maybe a 5th Ideal Radiant would hold out longer than a 3rd?

Glad Szeth is on Daliar's side...

1 minute ago, the cardinal of death said:

your welcome as for shardplate the answer is the same we will have to wait and see but at the very least its probably going to react like if it was hit with a shardblade or honorbalde and take 2 hits to break i imagine that something more would happen but for now baseing the interaction off of what happens with the other 2 kinds of shardblades is our best bet 

Honorblades are another interesting Question, they were made by Honor directly and are presumably more invested that standard blades to some extent.  Im also curious what the broader ramifications of one being destroyed would be.  Less than a Herald being Uber-killed, but still...

36 minutes ago, Quantus said:

I had been assuming that he'd act like any other shardblade in that both would block and each other and reduce things to more or less a normal swordfight the way Azure's blade does, but that that WOB that there would be ramifications beyond that because of Nightblood's significant Investiture makes me think it might just be a little more lop sided.  Would they block once or twice but be nearly immediately overwhelmed and Break?  I suspect that would be the case with Plate, where there is precedent for damage, but Blades are historically invulnerable to that kind of damage and so far have no known mechanism for repair.  We know that a spren in blade form is more durable than a spren in their native form, since Kaladin so easily destroyed one with Syl. How developed the Bond is might also play a role, as in maybe a 5th Ideal Radiant would hold out longer than a 3rd?

Glad Szeth is on Daliar's side...

Honorblades are another interesting Question, they were made by Honor directly and are presumably more invested that standard blades to some extent.  Im also curious what the broader ramifications of one being destroyed would be.  Less than a Herald being Uber-killed, but still...

yeah the progession of the bond could  definatley have some broader implcations on the clash an if it was an honorblade that struck nightblood there could be some terryfying implications if either is damaged we dont know exactly which has more investiture in this situation but based on this word of brandon the one with more power would win even though this was referring to another nightblood style entity lets assume the same logic applies and this other wob says if azures blade strikes nightblood something terible would occur if we apply the same logic to an honorblade in this senario it would not be good leaving wichever weapon that has more investiture better off this other word of brandon dos say shardblades do even the playing field to some degree 

Questioner

I assume I'm going to learn a lot more about this in Stormlight 3 but Nightblood, is he more dangerous or less dangerous now that he-- obviously he needs Investiture that is why *audio obscured* any Investiture?

Brandon Sanderson

I'd say more dangerous, a little bit easier to get the Stormlight.

Questioner

I assumed I'd learn a lot more about him...

Brandon Sanderson

You will, and he's pretty dangerous, but he is also less dangerous because other people have Shardblades, if that makes sense.

Salt Lake City Comic-Con 2014 (Sept. 4, 2014)

Questioner

So, if another weapon were made in the same exact way as Nightblood and the two collided would the one with more Investiture win in that scenario?

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO. Yeah. Mmhmm. Yes.

Skyward San Diego signing (Nov. 7, 2018)

Questioner

What would happen if Azure's sword was wielded against Nightblood?

Brandon Sanderson

If Azure's sword was wielded against Nightblood, terrible things would happen, but Nightblood would be the stronger of the pair. Good question.

Starsight Release Party (Nov. 26, 2019)

Edited by the cardinal of death