Is my magic system as good as I think it is?

Ataraxian Wist

Hey, so I've always considered myself a somewhat competent magisystemologer - which is not a real word, but was fun to write - but now I'm wondering: Are my magic systems actually as good as I think they are? I mean, I certainly think they are, but... I mean, that is what I said, right?

So here  - though I'll just start with one - are a few of my original magic systems.

True Wisardry (a.k.a. Lightspeaking or Aethertongue)

Spoiler

System Mechanics

This system is based on knowledge, where knowledge is both the access limitation and the literal currency of the magic. Sound also plays an important role.

Natural Limitations

This magic is used in the form of commands. These can be directed at any non-living thing within "hearing" of the command. Magical energy is transferred through molecules in sync with the kinetic energy that makes sound sound and into the matter to which the command is directed.

Spell Structure

There are three types of words in the Elodari language: nouns, verbs, and articles, along with a variety affixes which can be used as words but are meaningless on their own. Any human who knows a word in Elodari, its meaning, and its appropriate usage in a sentence, may use that word for magic just by saying it. Such mono-verbal  commands will generally produce no effect, but some can be catastrophic for the Wizard issuing them.

If a noun is used alone, the spell/command will have a valid target - if the target "hears" it - but will obviously do nothing because the target was given no verb, and therefore has no action to execute. For example, Gwydns says the Elodari word for "fire." Nearby campfire hears him. Because "fire" is not also a verb in Elodari, the fire just sits there and does nothing.

If a verb is used alone, though, literally ALL matter touched by the the sound will follow the command if no other information is absolutely necessary. For example, Gwydns says the Elodari word for "look." Because looking requires the power of sight, Gwydns and the mouse in his pocket are the only beings that must follow this command. However, Gwydns said nothing of what to look at, so all the things with eyes have to do is attempt to see something. Which could be nothing, or the inside of their eyelids. Gwydns and his mouse are not affected. If Gqydns had instead said to explode, than every molecule within hearing would have rapidly separated into individual subatomic particles, which would then have attempted to join each other and other other atoms, resulting in, if I remember this right, some really unstable isotopes and a possible second explosion due to fusion. It is certainly fortunate that Gwydns said "look" instead.

If an article or affix is used alone, nothing will happen. For example, Gwydns says "to" or "pre-" and nothing happens.

Most spells are, for now obvious reasons, constructed as complete sentences. After a sleight pause in Elodari speech (duration still undecided) the spell will take effect.

Amnesia

These spells are not without costs, however. Once an Elodari word is pronounced by someone who knows its meaning and usage, the word is completely forgotten. The reverse is also true: since the word must be forgotten before the magic will happen, no Elodari words can be used magically while the speaker is - generally due to sensory input - incapable of forgetting said word. This means that spells cannot be read directly from spellbooks or constructed directly from dictionaries, cannot be spoken in unison, and can be Interrupted - to disastrous effect - by spoken or written words.

Sixth and Seventh Senses

There is only one more mechanical aspect of this magic system: Each Elodari has exactly one pronunciation and exactly one distinct rune form. These runes can be seen through solid objects,  appearing written in light by those who know the associated words, with the brightness depending on the precision with which they are formed. Similarly, the words can be literally heard by all who know them and are within figurative hearing. This means that, if the sound waves that make up a given word that Gwydns knows touches his hand and his ears are plugged, he will still hear it as though the sound had actually reached his ears. For both runes and words, however, the blind and the deaf - respectively - will perceive them just as they would other stimuli of those kinds. Which is to say, not at all.

System Usage

The more interesting side of this magic system is how it's little quirks are exploited.

Wards

The the need to forget Elodari words in magic opens up some very simple options for fighting against magic. One popular method among Wizards and laypeople alike is the use of physical Wards, or objects bearing precise runes of the more inherently dangerous verbs, the most useful affixes and articles, and the most vulnerable and available nouns.

These Wards are made as cloaks by many of the more magic-fearing people in the setting, and into virtually every imaginable article of clothing by and for Wizards and those who deal with them regularly, as well as by paranoid people from all walks of life.

Wards are also built or carved into many buildings, especially those that need security, and can even be found in a great deal of art.

Because of the popularity and reliability of Wards, most Wizards construct more complex spells to accomplish their ends in very roundabout ways, often resembling a divine Rube Goldberg machine in their execution.

Interruption

The other, far more dangerous way that the sensory issue is used against magic users is Interruption, the practice of using well timed or barely noticed words and runes to negate specific words in a spell as it is being spoken, effectively changing the spell's effect. The easiest way to do this is to scream nouns unknown to oneself at the top of one's lungs, effectively invalidating many key targets and causing the spell to Explode, or target every viable target within "hearing." This is dangerous, however, as an Interrupter - often another Wizard - who can be heard by the Wizard he or she wishes to Interrupt can also generally hear him or her. So they will probably both die. This can also be done with verbs, affixes, and articles, but it is less likely to work in any noticeable way.

The other way that Interruption is attempted is by predicting the word that a Wizard will use and when they will use it, then saying it at nearly the same time. This will keep either Wizard from forgetting their word, (as this type of Interruption requires extensive knowledge of Elodari, both parties would be Wizards) and will not "count" as Elodari speech for the purpose of determining when the spell is finished, often cutting the spell of early. If the spell was a noun, than the results can be quite messy. If the word was a verb, the Interruption will likely result in a total negation of the spell. If the Interrupted Wizard is not destroyed by the early release of the spell, they may continue with the planned spell, resulting in a second broken spell.

Miscellaneous

Among Wizards, dueling is quite popular. Because of the dangers of Interruption, these duels are traditionally conducted with each Wizard speaking only in turn, and Wards hardly ever permitted.

Let me know what you think!

Edited by VanillaDCocoKing
Typos

On 4/3/2020 at 3:07 PM, Sazedezas said:
  Hide contents

After a sleight pause in Elodari speech (duration still undecided) the spell will take effect.

Perhaps use of the words "go," occur," or such would help fix the problem alternatively what happens when wizards make commands that only require a one word initiation?

Is Elodari a living or dead language? If living what happens when the meaning of words changes?

Other than that a decent system but I do think it needs a few more limitations, what stops a wizard from making an army of metal warriors and taking over the world?  

Can't wards be negated if the wizard simply turns away from the wards and don't look at them? Even if the runes shine through opaque objects, there are ways to avoid looking at them. So unless the wards surround a wizard an all sides, I don't see how they can be very effective.

7 minutes ago, ILuvHats said:

Can't wards be negated if the wizard simply turns away from the wards and don't look at them? Even if the runes shine through opaque objects, there are ways to avoid looking at them. So unless the wards surround a wizard an all sides, I don't see how they can be very effective.

So, yes, that works just fine. They still serve a purpose, however. See, if a wizard has to turn his back on you to cast a spell, you have a handsome moment to make a non-magical attack. Their own ward cloak will still prevent you from casting a spell on you unless you also turn around. Plus, a human voice carries best in the direction the person's head is pointed, meaning that a backward wizard will have significantly reduced range. No, they aren't foolproof, but the wizard who doesn't carry one is at a huge disadvantage.

On 4/4/2020 at 8:39 PM, Frustration said:

Perhaps use of the words "go," occur," or such would help fix the problem alternatively what happens when wizards make commands that only require a one word initiation?

Is Elodari a living or dead language? If living what happens when the meaning of words changes?

Other than that a decent system but I do think it needs a few more limitations, what stops a wizard from making an army of metal warriors and taking over the world?  

Not sure I understand the first question.

Elodari is beyond dead. Because of what happens when it is spoken, it doesn't even work for communication because you always forget what you said. Which means you will have no idea what somebody else is saying whenever they use a word you just used. So, as far as humans are concerned, it's really a non-issue.

As for metal armies, Elodari commands are instantaneous. Assuming the science in The Invisible Man is possible, then a wizard could, say, make somebody invisible for quite some time. If they knew enough about genetics, they could even make somebody permanently invisible. But they cannot imbue things with magic because it's not a repeating command, just a one time thing. They could make metal arms bend with a command, possibly causing them to swing swords, but to speak any sort of command that would permanently animate an inanimate object... It would take years to deliver, at the least. And you'd have to speak continuously for that entire time, never stopping for more than the shortest breaths. SO you'd die of starvation or your spell would fizzle. Unless you've any idea how one might do it in less time, of course. But the limit of intuition a command is capable of is selecting all matter as a target when none is specified.

Though I guess you might just specify a duration of effect... Maybe. I guess you could enchant things, but to make an army of metal warriors would still be an insane undertaking. I might go ahead and remove all words that would allow for someone to specify a duration. But I'm still not sure that world work. I'll have to make some test sentences.

At any rate, if the magic does allow for an army of metal warriors - or anything like it - then it probably also allows for other kinds of spells that make such and army pretty useless. Do you see what I mean? If Wizard A makes army of metal warriors, then Wizard B can simply make barriers through which metal cannot pass. Then it becomes a question of which wizard used a higher number, but Wizard B can use the delay - which could be thousands of years - to destroy the metal army pretty handily.

Or maybe I'm underthinking this. Does any of this make sense?

3 minutes ago, Sazedezas said:

Not sure I understand the first question.

Basically what if a Wizard said to this rock, explode when I say the word "now" after I have completed this spell. Or something?

4 minutes ago, Sazedezas said:

Or maybe I'm underthinking this. Does any of this make sense?

Sort of, but that just means the patient or creative wizards basically have free range, to create self guided missiles, what protects the average person from the wise, who make magical megaphones to project their voice anywhere in the world? Other wizards? 

1 minute ago, Frustration said:

Basically what if a Wizard said to this rock, explode when I say the word "now" after I have completed this spell. Or something?

Sort of, but that just means the patient or creative wizards basically have free range, to create self guided missiles, what protects the average person from the wise, who make magical megaphones to project their voice anywhere in the world? Other wizards? 

I get you now. I honestly have only vague ideas as to how I might address these.

I'll have to adjust the magic system for sure. I'll just make it so that triggers have to be more scientific AND only work within a specified duration. Which does bring math into this, but I can deal with that. Then I can simply make the numbers verbally inefficient - so you have to list all of the 0's, for example - and make time based in very small units. Then spells with lasting or delayed effect will take significantly longer to say. I just make sure there aren't words for days and years, so you have to say the exact number of seconds - and fractions of seconds, or whatever - so that the most effective way will be to input actual mathematical formulas so that the spell has to do the math and put in the right number. Which still lets crap happen, but greatly inhibits power-hungry evil-doers and do-gooder plot-killers, as they can't just say "for a billion fricken years."

This does allow for apocalyptic metal armies. However, it means that they will take a considerable amount of time to speak, as every possible thing the automatons can do has to be programmed in verbally and in relation to everything else they can do and everything that can happen to them. Which means that it would require serious breath support and a lot of math, plus a very powerful brain, to make a doomsday army. I will likely even put such an army into the history, because the actual story is really vague right now. But yeah, the same rules that let these armies exist make it quite possible to destroy them, at least to Wizards. But yes, they would be the only real defense against other Wizards, at least without the aid of the other Elodari magic systems - of which there are three.