A conversation I would like to see

Ixthos

I think Sazed, who studied religions and in a sense at one time believed in all of them, and still does if his relgion is any indication, and who is one of the most accomplished scholars in the Cosmere, who became what the setting would call a divinity, would probably have an amazing conversation with Jasnah as a shard, or as I would refer to as Elsecaller-Honour Jasnah. (I think that Honour + at least part of the other shards on Roshar will be taken up by ten people, and one of the best suited for that would be Jasnah, taking up the Elsecaller part of Honour while still being part of the whole - a shard with ten vessels and ten expressions but still only one shard).

Jasnah likely would not change from being an atheist if she took up the shard. I know it is an old trope for the atheist diety, but as Brandon made Jasnah to be at least one of his takes on an atheist and as she is an atheist presented with respect by someone who is not an atheist, I doubt she will just change her mind, especially because it can be argued that the shards are not gods, only powerful beings, and as Jasnah already deals with spren, she probably won't be as impressed with shards as those who never encountered spren before would.

So Sazed and Jasnah, two of the brightest people in the Cosmere, talking as shards, and debating - not arguing - if they actually are gods or something else, and discussing other things related to how their mandates direct them and push them to act or not act. Who else would enjoy that conversation?

I agree with you on Sazed (holding two  shards of Adonalsium allows quite a bit of research), but Jasnah is far behind many many people we know about as far as the Cosmere goes. Kriss, Gavilar, Heralds, a grouchy swordmaster (or others of the 5 Scholars), Nazsh, Kelsier, Ire members, etc., etc. I wouldn't put her in the league of one of the "Brightest" till she learns a lot more.

We actually don't know how much info Jasnah has access to as of OB

Her lack of info on the specifics of the Desolations is understandable. But she did come to know of the secrets of Aharitiem & the Recreance as well as other things, probably from Hoid/Wit

Jasnah will probably have bigger questions than that for a Shard but if they sit down and have a discussion, that would be a great scene! 

Edited by Honorless

5 hours ago, 1stBondsmith said:

I agree with you on Sazed (holding two  shards of Adonalsium allows quite a bit of research), but Jasnah is far behind many many people we know about as far as the Cosmere goes.

Yes but Brandon also has said that she will surprise you guys in how quickly she would come upto speed on all the Cosmere stuff. 

@1stBondsmith to add to what @Honorless and  @The traveller said, when Sazed took up the shards he also was probably at an even lower level of understanding than Jasnah about the Cosmere as a whole, and just had knowledge of a more local physical and historical facts - taking up a shard, combined with their natural inclinations towards scholarly pursuits, makes me think that they could both teach and learn from one another. The main issue isn't what they know, but how they think, and their thought processes are both very different but their natures are very agreeable - they could debate and discuss very interesting ideas from very different perspectives and do so reasonably and respectfully :-)

13 hours ago, Ixthos said:

So Sazed and Jasnah, two of the brightest people in the Cosmere, talking as shards, and debating - not arguing - if they actually are gods or something else, and discussing other things related to how their mandates direct them and push them to act or not act. Who else would enjoy that conversation?

Brandon would!

AptoCanavalian

Dear Brandon, If you could have a dinner party with six of the characters that you have written about, which six would you choose and why? Would your answer change if the party was in someone else's house?

Brandon Sanderson

Well, it would be tough--I'd have to decide if I wanted the party to be crazy, interesting, or low risk.

For example, inviting Hoid and Kelsier to the same party could result in murdering. Having Sazed around with someone like Jasnah would lead to some great discussions of philosophy.

/r/fantasy AMA 2013 (April 15, 2013)

(And I would, too!)

Edited by Elegy

• Chaos locked this topic