Rereading Era 1

Lunu’anaki

Hey all! I’m starting my next Era 1 reread today (3rd time through Era 1) and wanted to hear from you all about specific things of note I should keep an eye out for!

Things you already know about, clues you think might be present in a theory of yours, and anything else of interest. I’d love to hear it all!!

There's a theory that Mare is actually a world-hopper from Nalthis (she reached a high enough Heightening that her life-sense could be passed off as Tin, and that her presence alerted the Lord Ruler to the existence of world-hoppers. Hence, his "thank you,"). 

Edit: Also, maybe any hints you can find about why Vin was so special would be very nice.

Edited by Use the Falchion

With all the WoBs about Felt, I'd pay close attention to what he says/does and think about what is going on off-screen in his head or in his life.

Is the Felt from Mistborn the same as the Felt from Stormlight. Yes it is.

I don't think that's a big secret. But, he is, and that should be raising other questions. ... He should stand out more.

...he was the spy who Elend sent to tail Vin one night...

A third son of a very minor nobleman, Felt is used to working for a living...

He's been around, let's just say...

there are more places you could look for him, whether you find him or not is a matter of...

There are things that he said in Mistborn which are relevant in minor ways... These are not huge big things, when you read them you'll be like "Oh, interesting".

Felt's allegiance has changed at various times during-- yeah, we'll just say that. His allegiance has changed over the years. There are times he's been a rogue agent. [Implied that he's been in, and then lapsed from being in, the 17th Shard]

"He was aware" of Scadrial's atium pit mercantile system [which was a VERY heavily guarded secret of TLR's...]

And was "cosmere-aware" during Era 1, and was "involved" but perhaps not quite "directly" with the interplanetary trade via the Pits of Hathsin.

Edited by robardin

10 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

The question we should be asking about Felt on Roshar is why he doesn’t have Shin eyes. 

Well Brandon says he should “stand out more” on Roshar, but it’s not like he’s a kandra or a Returned who’s modifying his body. Dalinar’s POV description of him in Ch. 114 of Oathbringer goes:

Felt stood outside, a lithe man with long, drooping mustaches and pale skin. Had to have some Shin blood in him, judging by those eyes.

... The short man barely came up to the middle of Dalinar’s chest.

I think it’s his natural use of Alethi that stands out as unusually local. Other than Hoid, most other confirmed worldhoppers have vocabulary tics that strike locals as odd that give them away even if their appearance doesn’t particularly stand out (Vasher, Vivenna, the trio at the Purelake), and even Hoid will slip sometimes and mention bunnies on Roshar or something. Felt only cryptically comments on how he’s more foreign to the Nightwatcher than Dalinar is.

17 hours ago, robardin said:

Well Brandon says he should “stand out more” on Roshar, but it’s not like he’s a kandra or a Returned who’s modifying his body. Dalinar’s POV description of him in Ch. 114 of Oathbringer goes:

I think it’s his natural use of Alethi that stands out as unusually local. Other than Hoid, most other confirmed worldhoppers have vocabulary tics that strike locals as odd that give them away even if their appearance doesn’t particularly stand out (Vasher, Vivenna, the trio at the Purelake), and even Hoid will slip sometimes and mention bunnies on Roshar or something. Felt only cryptically comments on how he’s more foreign to the Nightwatcher than Dalinar is.

Ah. Thanks. I forgot about that; it’s been awhile.