How exactly does Soulbearing work ?

Friendshipspren

Question

So you can store investiture in nicrosil right. So how does that work.

1). Does it only store the ability to use other magic systems ? 

Like suppose I'm a twinborn and I store the ability to burn steel in an unsealed metalminds ,while not burning the metal. So when someone else taps it , do they temororarily gain the ability to burn metal but have to actually metabolize metal to use it ?

2). Suppose I burn steel but instead of using the energy to push on steel , I store it inside the metalmind. Then when someone else taps it , would they gain the ability to push without actually burning the metal.

Or do both methods work ?

Also suppose I'm compounding. So if I store 1 Newton of steel pushing in the metalmind and I burn it,  do I get access to 10 Newtons of pushing ?

Edited by PrinceGenocide
A little polishing

12 answers to this question

We see at least some aspects of nicrosil ferruchemy in the era 2 mistborn books, so if you haven't already, you should read those.  but the short version is that what we've seen so far is that it stores the ability.  so someone who is a Feruchemical nicrosil/Allomantic steel twinborn could store the ability to use allomantic steel.  however the person tapping that that would still need access to steel to burn in order to use it.  likewise someone like a full ferruchemist could store the ability to use iron ferruchemy, and the person tapping would then be able to use that, btu would still need access to iron to use as a metalmind to store their weight.

as far as how that works with compounding, presumably it works the same as anything else - you store 1 charge and get 10 back, so you'd be able to access the stored ability 10x as long, or for the same amount of time but almost 10x stronger.  in this case, i don't think youd be storign something like an actual steelpush, instead youd be stroing something like x hours of steelpushing at y strength (e.g. spend 1 hour with your steelpushing at 25% strength to store 1 hour of steelpushing at 75% of your normal strength, then compound it to get 10 hours of 75% strength)

3 hours ago, Honorless said:

The only example we've seen of Nicrosil Feruchemy is that a Feruchemist storing Investiture in a Nicrosilmind would result in any person tapping that Nicrosilmind to temporarily gain the ability to use Feruchemy to tap Feruchemical attributes.

not entirely true.

Spoiler

the bands of mourning included the full suite of allomancy and ferruchemy

1 hour ago, Dunkum said:

not entirely true.

Hide contents

the bands of mourning included the full suite of allomancy and ferruchemy

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you thought that I'm referring to the medallions.

I said that Nicrosil allows non Ferrings or non Full Feruchemists to access Feruchemy, which your provided instance supports.

Edit: Ohhhh, do you mean that I didn't include Allomancy? Yeah, I overlooked mentioning that, thanks! 

Edited by Honorless

2 hours ago, Honorless said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you thought that I'm referring to the medallions.

I said that Nicrosil allows non Ferrings or non Full Feruchemists to access Feruchemy, which your provided instance supports.

Edit: Ohhhh, do you mean that I didn't include Allomancy? Yeah, I overlooked mentioning that, thanks! 

yea, that's what I was getting at

I guess Nicrosil's limit is on how broadly defined "Investiture" is. We know Breaths can be stored and the ability to use various Surges can be stored as well. Brandon has also implied  that it can store Stormlight but that it is difficult. It seems that when talking about Nicrosilminds Investiture is related to the Investiture of the Spiritweb.

5 hours ago, Honorless said:

I said that Nicrosil allows non Ferrings or non Full Feruchemists to access Feruchemy, which your provided instance supports.I

I don't think it does normally - the Medallions seem to be hacks

9 minutes ago, Inky said:

I don't think it does normally - the Medallions seem to be hacks

I think its more that there is more going on there than just a standard nicrosilmind.  we know they are unkeyed so that they arent tied to a specific person (presumably by storing identity while storing the other traits), and they are also ...i think the term used is unlocked, which somehow allows them to be used even by people without nicrosil ferruchemy - and its definitely not yet clear how that is managed.

1 minute ago, Dunkum said:

I think its more that there is more going on there than just a standard nicrosilmind.  we know they are unkeyed so that they arent tied to a specific person (presumably by storing identity while storing the other traits), and they are also ...i think the term used is unlocked, which somehow allows them to be used even by people without nicrosil ferruchemy - and its definitely not yet clear how that is managed.

Yep! Unsealed (that's the term) metalminds are super weird. The nicrosilmind doesn't even seem to be tapped at all, which is quite strange

The people using Medalions might not even be consciously aware that they are tapping the Nicrosil.

21 hours ago, PrinceGenocide said:

Pagerunner

When you tap the nicrosil portion of a medallion, will it run out over time? Or is it like a coppermind, where something discrete is taken, used, and returned?

Brandon Sanderson

Good question! Like a coppermind.

This quote implies that when they stop storring/tapping a Medallion the Investiture is returned to the Nicrosilmind. 

2 hours ago, StanLemon said:

The people using Medalions might not even be consciously aware that they are tapping the Nicrosil.

There's an even better WoB where Brandon equates it to using Honorblades 

Questioner

Do Honorblades bestow their abilities similar to an Identity-free nicrosilmind with other Metalborn abilities?

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, these are working on similar principles. Same principle, divergent applications by the magic system, but yeah, I would say, they come back to the same principles.

Orem signing (March 10, 2018)