Medallions for the Radiants

Quantus

This is entirely a boredom topic, but it could be fun.  If you could give an Unsealed Medallion of one feruchemical trait to each of the main characters of the Stormlight Archive, which would be the best fit for each? For what it's worth Im excluding the Spiritual Metals because a) they would be equally useful to anybody, and b.)  how they actually work is all still RAFO. 

My top two are:

Lift gets Bendalloy, clearly.  It's the most OP that particular Ferchemical trait could ever get.

Kaladin gets Electrum for determination.  It's described as basically a slider bar between Depression and a Manic State, so for a guy like Kaladin it would give him very direct control of his depressive episodes.  

Beyond that, I have some idea's but nothing 100%:

Jasnah would probably be happiest with either Copper or Zinc, for the scholarship.  Ditto Navani.  Jasnah might lean toward Copper since she hated losing her book collection, and it seems in theme with Inkspren.

I kind of want to give Renarin Pewter.  He's always been seen as being so physically frail that I would love to see him with a Hulk Mode.

Adolin probably fits with something physical best, and any of them would serve him well in a fight.  Another part of me wants to give him Zinc for the Intuitive Leaps, just because everyone assumes he's a meathead so I'd love for him to start jumping in with insightful answers to scholarly topics that he is otherwise ignorant of. 

Rhysn gets Gold, because I think it would still heal her even if Renarin's Progression did not. 

Szeth gets Copper, so he can store all his most haunting memories in a metalmind and then throw it in the ocean.  

Rock gets Brass, because I think it fits him and would be useful going to and from the Peaks.  

Shallan gets Tin, so she can get higher detail in her Memories.  Or, if we want to open up the Spiritual Metals, Im curious if being able to tap Identity and Store would help her untangle her dissociative personalities. 

That's enough of my rambling, anyone have any fun combinations?

Dalinar could get gold, so when he gets himself pretty much killed again he can just heal.

Szeth could use pretty much any, because he could just pull out tons of investiture to use with Nightblood. Maybe?

55 minutes ago, Quantus said:

Szeth gets Copper, so he can store all his most haunting memories in a metalmind and then throw it in the ocean.  

And actually, that's interesting. If Szeth stored all his memories in copper, would the screams go away?

Firstly this is a neat idea. I like it.
Secondly I have a few ideas. :D

I would give Dalinar Zinc, for those times when he needs to come up with a seriously indepth plan.

Malata would be totally badass with Steel, just imagine running at super speed and then using Abrasion to skate and conserve that momentum. And of course high-speed Division would be TERRIFYING.

Hmm... if we allow Spiritual metals I'd give Renarin Chromium. If it works the way I think it does, he might be able to have a better handle on his future sight stuff by managing his Fortune with it. But that may not end up being necessary down the line, in which case I'd give him Pewter, yeah.

That's all I got right now.

Lift plus F-Steel - small burst of speed and no friction could have her flying around everywhere nearly untouchable.  Also stealing people's food right out of their hands without them seeing anything...

If Kaladin flew into a highstorm with F-Iron and dumped all of his weight, could he just ride the wind the whole way without using his stormlight?

21 minutes ago, bnel21 said:

If Kaladin flew into a highstorm with F-Iron and dumped all of his weight, could he just ride the wind the whole way without using his stormlight?

Kaladin or anyone else could do that, but it would be like riding a (leaky) hot air balloon in a thunderstorm, they'd be entirely at the mercy of winds, which would be just as likely to slam them into the ground as keep them aloft.  

29 minutes ago, Mushroom Catalog said:

And actually, that's interesting. If Szeth stored all his memories in copper, would the screams go away?

It's honestly hard to say, there are memories that are causing pain, but arguably that same PTSD might have caused literal spiritual damage that might be suppressed but not removed by the copper.  In Dalinar's case, the memory Pruning that Cultivation gave him did indeed stop the screams, but we cannot be 100% sure that all she did was remove memories the way Copper would, and not also some other spiritual tweaking.  

I would definitely give copper to the heralds, they could use it.

On 10/29/2019 at 3:08 PM, Quantus said:

Kaladin gets Electrum for determination.  It's described as basically a slider bar between Depression and a Manic State, so for a guy like Kaladin it would give him very direct control of his depressive episodes.  

filling it might put him into depression, unless he was really focused at the moment, and the moments in which he is most focused are when he is actively doing something, in which case he needs determination. he would need to be a compounder, which the medallions might be unable to give.

On 10/29/2019 at 3:08 PM, Quantus said:

Memories seem to be cognitive the damage and voices Szeth hears are spiritual I don't think copper works that way anyway.  Saze seems limited to text and maybe a few images.  I don't think you can store the emotions of PTSD.  Also having the emotions with no memory attached could make things even worse.

1 minute ago, Karger said:

Memories seem to be cognitive the damage and voices Szeth hears are spiritual I don't think copper works that way anyway.  Saze seems limited to text and maybe a few images.  I don't think you can store the emotions of PTSD.  Also having the emotions with no memory attached could make things even worse.

That's an interesting possibility, and I agree that would probably make it worse, possibly in a classic Repressed Memories soap opera thing.  If Copper could store the whole memory, something close tot he level of Dalinar's pruning, then I could see it helping him.  But if it leaves the damage (and/or the voices) but takes away the context for them, I could easily see that driving to a worse place.  

• Chaos locked this topic