The Bleeding Spike Tavern

Elend  Venture

3 hours ago, Sorana said:

A spike.

Mike stared at the building, at the sign. A spike. He walked over to the door, knocked and then pushed it open. Behind the door was a tavern, full of various people, talking, laughing, drinking. But a spike. He paused, tried to calm his breathing, to stop himself from looking around as if he was hunted, although he couldn't hide the way his arms and legs shook. He tugged at his gloves. He couldn't find him, he was gone, swallowed by some void, vanished in some alley and there was nothing, nothing - he stopped his line of thoughts, frowned and then tugged at the gloves again. It didn't matter. First he needed to find a spike, no, several. Two. He needed two. His chest hurt, one spot especially bright and he rubbed at it, the pressure helping a little with the pain.

"Hello." he greeted the room and staggered over to the bar. "I want to buy something." Buy. He didn't have any money, so if he needed to pay, he needed to steal. They had to have spikes here with that name. It couldn't be that hard to find a long stick made of metal. "I need -" a spike. The words died on his lips as terror filled him, fear, endless fear. The shadows in the corner of the room seemed to creep closer and closer and he closed his eyes again.

"Something to drink." he blurted. "Salty, salty water." He firmly shut his mouth. Salty water? But why, you couldn't even drink that, and yet, he knew, that he could deal with it. He knew about salty water. The man looked at him strangely but then filled a glass with water and added a spoonful of salt before pushing it over to him. Mike placed a chryst on the bar and grabbed the glass tightly, stired and then lifted it to his lips.

The water was salty, so salty that his mouth constricted, that he wanted to spit it out again, but there was a part, a kind and gentle part that relished the taste and made him swallow, fill his mouth some more and swallow again. Again and again until the glass was empty and he set it down again, thirsty and shaking, but that small part hummed in satisfaction. Salty water. Who knew that salty water could be so joyful, that it would envelope him like that, that he needed -

His stomach cramped and he doubled over, vomited on the floor. The water tasted awful, mixed with the drink he had earlier, now it was sour and stank, not only salty. Shaking Mike pressed his hands against his knees while his brain nodded in satisfaction. Of course he would vomit. You didn't drink salty water. And yet a feeling of loss grabbed him when he stared at the puddle to his feet. It was gone. Gone. And somewhere, somehow he felt as if a part of him withered and vanished again.

“Are you alright?” Nardo says to the rhythm of concern.

2 hours ago, A Windrunner said:

“Are you alright?” Nardo says to the rhythm of concern.

Looking up Mike saw a stranger, another stranger. Was this the night where he fud nothing but meet strangers only to loose them again in the crowd? His eyes moved over to the window in an attempt to discern whether it was even night. He had lost track of time, felt as if he was floating.

"Alright, sure." He laughed, his laugh too loud, his eyes roaming the stranger's face, but never quite meeting the eyes. "Sure. Sure. I am alright, perfectly fine, if you ask me. If you do that, that is. It depends on who you ask."

Shaking his head to clear his thoughts a little he tilted it to the sides, avoiding the puddle to his feet. "I had to drink salt water, you know." he explained and gestured towards it. "Needed to do it to make her happy, but i failed. She's not happy, more sad and she left."

Pausing he frowned. She? Who was she? With a shrug he forced a smile on his face. "Don't worry about me. I know my way around in this city. I only need to buy something and I'm gone again. Need to do something you know?" Conspiratively he grinned at him. "I got my gloves, so everything is fine. With them on nothing can happen to me."

8 hours ago, Sorana said:

Pausing he frowned. She? Who was she? With a shrug he forced a smile on his face. "Don't worry about me. I know my way around in this city. I only need to buy something and I'm gone again. Need to do something you know?" Conspiratively he grinned at him. "I got my gloves, so everything is fine. With them on nothing can happen to me."

Calarian sighs at the disturbance. He was having a nice conversation with this crab-person when this miscreant- is that Mike?
"Mike? What are you doing here? Are you alright?"

15 hours ago, AmazingGoob said:

Calarian sighs at the disturbance. He was having a nice conversation with this crab-person when this miscreant- is that Mike?
"Mike? What are you doing here? Are you alright?"

Looking up Mike tilted his head to the side, opened his mouth a little, his tongue brushing over his lips. The air was cool on his tongue and for a moment he expected to smell something, to gain some information from the gesture. But of course he didn't. There was no reason why he should.

"Oh, yes." he nodded hastily. "I'm Mike." his eyes darted over to the man. He knew him, had met him earlier. He was the one who had wanted to help him find Xaver, but they hadn't. "Yes, of course, I am alright." Again he lifted his hands, as if the gesture could change something.

"I've got my gloves. They will help me." Another truth, or at least something that felt like a truth. Mike tilted his head to the other side, eyes moving to ceiling, when he tried to grasp why everything was alright as long as he had his gloves. "I didn't want to disturb your conversation." he went on after a moment, when he realized that he couldn't recall the reason. Well, maybe they weren't that important after all.

"I simply need to buy something, and I hoped I can find it here, but now I'm not so sure anymore, so I might need to go somewhere else to look for it."

10 hours ago, Sorana said:

"I simply need to buy something, and I hoped I can find it here, but now I'm not so sure anymore, so I might need to go somewhere else to look for it."

Looking uncomfortable, Calarian asks "Er... What is it that you need?" He glances over at Nuemark.

Hesitating Mike looked at them. Somehow it felt as if he had been in that place before, earlier when he had still looked for - the thought fled and he shrugged it away. It wasn't important anymore. The oppotunity was gone, lost, had been ripped away by chance, by something he hadn't - he didn't even know why.

"I am looking for-" spikes. He paused, eyed them again. No, he couldn't talk about spikes. "nails." he said instead. "Long nails. I need to hold something in place. I need to replace something, make something whole again." It was true, or at least as true as he could get, he didn't know, didn't understand.

"If you could help me," he face changed a little, turned friendlier, a charming smile touching his lips, "I would be incredibly grateful." His tongue touched the air again despite the fact that he gained nothing by the gesture. And yet it felt good, familiar. As if it was something he had done before, something he knew would help him in some way or the other. "I need seven of them, maybe as long as my hand, or a little longer?"

@A Windrunner

@AmazingGoob

Hesitating Mike looked at them. Somehow it felt as if he had been in that place before, earlier when he had still looked for - the thought fled and he shrugged it away. It wasn't important anymore. The oppotunity was gone, lost, had been ripped away by chance, by something he hadn't - he didn't even know why.

"I am looking for-" spikes. He paused, eyed them again. No, he couldn't talk about spikes. "nails." he said instead. "Long nails. I need to hold something in place. I need to replace something, make something whole again." It was true, or at least as true as he could get, he didn't know, didn't understand.

"If you could help me," he face changed a little, turned friendlier, a charming smile touching his lips, "I would be incredibly grateful." His tongue touched the air again despite the fact that he gained nothing by the gesture. And yet it felt good, familiar. As if it was something he had done before, something he knew would help him in some way or the other. "I need seven of them, maybe as long as my hand, or a little longer?"

@A Windrunner

@AmazingGoob

“Long nails, like the long nails in inquisitors eyes?” Nardo said, this could be a fun way to get to know his way around the city.

14 hours ago, A Windrunner said:

“Long nails, like the long nails in inquisitors eyes?” Nardo said, this could be a fun way to get to know his way around the city.

Spikes in the eyes? The thought alone made his skin crawl. The eyes. They weren't that important, as long as he could smell the eyes were more a secondary sense, but to be completely blind - to be crippled, it would make him prey. His posture shifted a little became more guarded and he looked the other one over. He was no prey. Only the weak became prey and he wasn't prey. He was the one leading, the one standing in front, the one protecting. Not the one in need of protection.

"No, not the eyes." he explained calmly, surprised by his own calm "and while I'm not sure who or what an Inquisitor is, if their nails are long enough to pierce their heads, they sound as if they should be long enough." lifting his hands he showed how long he needed the spikes to be. Long enough to go through his chest easily. The smile returned to his face. "So yes, probably something like that."

"Do you per chance know where I might be able to buy them?" Or steal them, he didn't care. As long as he got them, as long as he ended up with them in his hands, so that he could use them, could finally, finally close the gap and stop being so confused. He would remember, he was sure. Once he had them, once everything was back the way it was supposed to be he would be alright.

==========

11 hours ago, AonEne said:

Oh nooooooo, Mike! Sorana, stop being so good at writing! Aaaah! 

Sorry, won't happen. :P  And thank you ^_^

Mike's ending this era is more or less planned out, and while I'm (as always) willing to change things, that's going to be hard.

Spoiler

She was squid, salt water = squid. Although snake is active as well. And a hint of wolf as well, but only a tiny, little bit.

Edited by Sorana

4 hours ago, Sorana said:
19 hours ago, A Windrunner said:

Spikes in the eyes? The thought alone made his skin crawl. The eyes. They weren't that important, as long as he could smell the eyes were more a secondary sense, but to be completely blind - to be crippled, it would make him prey. His posture shifted a little became more guarded and he looked the other one over. He was no prey. Only the weak became prey and he wasn't prey. He was the one leading, the one standing in front, the one protecting. Not the one in need of protection.

"No, not the eyes." he explained calmly, surprised by his own calm "and while I'm not sure who or what an Inquisitor is, if their nails are long enough to pierce their heads, they sound as if they should be long enough." lifting his hands he showed how long he needed the spikes to be. Long enough to go through his chest easily. The smile returned to his face. "So yes, probably something like that."

"Do you per chance know where I might be able to buy them?" Or steal them, he didn't care. As long as he got them, as long as he ended up with them in his hands, so that he could use them, could finally, finally close the gap and stop being so confused. He would remember, he was sure. Once he had them, once everything was back the way it was supposed to be he would be alright

“I have no idea where I would find them, but I’m sure there are some somewhere in the city.” 

"Do you per chance know where I might be able to buy them?" Or steal them, he didn't care. As long as he got them, as long as he ended up with them in his hands, so that he could use them, could finally, finally close the gap and stop being so confused. He would remember, he was sure. Once he had them, once everything was back the way it was supposed to be he would be alright.

==========

Watching in confusion, Calarian speaks up, worriedly saying "Um... Mike, how about we find these 'nails' tomorrow. It's rather late. Where's your home?"

6 hours ago, A Windrunner said:

“I have no idea where I would find them, but I’m sure there are some somewhere in the city.” 

2 hours ago, AmazingGoob said:

Watching in confusion, Calarian speaks up, worriedly saying "Um... Mike, how about we find these 'nails' tomorrow. It's rather late. Where's your home?"

Whirling around Mike focused on the detective. He was a detective, wasn't he? St least he belonged to the agency.

"Why do you want to know?" He asked suspiciously, looking back to the other one. They obviously knew each other. It had to be obvious that he wasn't rich, that there was no money to steal from him, why did they want to know.

Moving a step back he wondered if it had been a good idea to stay after they had addressed him. "Actually I think, that the chances to aquire these things is higher at night." He shook his head at the idea to wait. There was no time to wait, if he dwindled around he would loose precious time. He needed to get them and the sooner the later.

5 hours ago, Sorana said:

Whirling around Mike focused on the detective. He was a detective, wasn't he? St least he belonged to the agency.

"Why do you want to know?" He asked suspiciously, looking back to the other one. They obviously knew each other. It had to be obvious that he wasn't rich, that there was no money to steal from him, why did they want to know.

Moving a step back he wondered if it had been a good idea to stay after they had addressed him. "Actually I think, that the chances to aquire these things is higher at night." He shook his head at the idea to wait. There was no time to wait, if he dwindled around he would loose precious time. He needed to get them and the sooner the later.

“The sooner the better!” Nardo got up. “Lead the way” he said cheerfully.

7 hours ago, A Windrunner said:

“The sooner the better!” Nardo got up. “Lead the way” he said cheerfully.

Mike hesitated. "I am not quite sure where to go." he finally admitted quietly and considered the various. "Although there is a market." A black market, located near the Harbour. Maybe they could go there. It was a dangerous place, full of thugs. Usually he avoided it, only went there when he needed to sell something none of his usual brokers would buy, but for spikes - it was the best place to go.

"There is a market." he stated, following the urge to let them know what they were walking into. "But it's no save place." And he wasn't entirely sure if he would be able to find it either. Especially not with a detective at his side, but then he was a private investigator, no one belonging to the police. "It might be especially dangerous, if they know who you work for." he turned to the detective.

Taking a step towards the door, he swayed a little on his feet, when a wave of nauseau hit. He needed to leave, needed to get going. And grab something to eat on the way as well. "It's your call. But if I can get what I need, that's the best place I can think of."

On 10/8/2020 at 0:30 AM, Sorana said:

She was squid, salt water = squid. Although snake is active as well. And a hint of wolf as well, but only a tiny, little bit.

Ah, I was looking up which animals liked salt water and I can't believe I didn't think of the one that actually lives in it :P *facepalms*

On 10/8/2020 at 11:37 PM, Sorana said:

Taking a step towards the door, he swayed a little on his feet, when a wave of nauseau hit. He needed to leave, needed to get going. And grab something to eat on the way as well. "It's your call. But if I can get what I need, that's the best place I can think of."

@Elend Venture
"A black market...?" He pauses for a moment. His face brightens a little, but the troubled look sticks stubbornly. "I love black markets. I've needed to fin this place's- Anyway, I'll come. But I have to speak with my associate for a moment." He walked over to where he was standing. "My friend, I need to leave. One of our customers seems to be in an... interesting position, and I believe we can get some useful information. Do you wish to come?"

On 10/9/2020 at 2:37 AM, Sorana said:

Mike hesitated. "I am not quite sure where to go." he finally admitted quietly and considered the various. "Although there is a market." A black market, located near the Harbour. Maybe they could go there. It was a dangerous place, full of thugs. Usually he avoided it, only went there when he needed to sell something none of his usual brokers would buy, but for spikes - it was the best place to go.

"There is a market." he stated, following the urge to let them know what they were walking into. "But it's no save place." And he wasn't entirely sure if he would be able to find it either. Especially not with a detective at his side, but then he was a private investigator, no one belonging to the police. "It might be especially dangerous, if they know who you work for." he turned to the detective.

Nardo walks out the door, then walks back in. “Which way is it?”

They were going to come along. Mike nodded, a quick, short motion that make his neck crack a little. "That way." he pointed at the door and then, carefully stepping around the puddle in front of his feet he walked out of the tavern.

The air outside was cool, nearly cold enough to make him gasp and his movements became slower for a few moments, until he had adapted, warmth spreading throughout his body. His cloths were just barely warm enough for the cool wind that moved between the houses and whispered in the streets, but for now they would work. And it wasn't as if he had a second set anyway.

"Down that road." he pointed down the road to their right. "It's a bit, but within walking distance." And he wasn't able to pay for some faster transport, so there was no real choice apart from walking.

@AmazingGoob

@A Windrunner

I would change threads now, would you like for me to do some scene setting in the other one?

Guest Somebody from Scadrial

He walked in glanced around well certainly a. . . odd assortment of people well might as well find a empty table he looked around again, there were a few empty ones the one the corner yes that will work fine he walked forward and waited for a barkeep to walk up

Spoiler

Quick description I couldn't find a convenient place to put it he's wearing a dark brown trench coat with a poleaxe laying close to his hand but not quick in it he is seated in way where you can't really see his back and his trench coat covers up pretty much everything else but he does have dark red on the brown side hair under a odd but not bad looking combination of a cowboy hat and a top hat he doesn't look too well to do but he does look like he has a decent amount of money

Spoiler

Hey just respond in a spoiler if I should create a barkeeper npc or wait for one of the barkeeper's to respond (I will count one of the barkeeper's responding as a answer)

On 10/10/2020 at 4:35 PM, AmazingGoob said:

@Elend Venture
"A black market...?" He pauses for a moment. His face brightens a little, but the troubled look sticks stubbornly. "I love black markets. I've needed to fin this place's- Anyway, I'll come. But I have to speak with my associate for a moment." He walked over to where he was standing. "My friend, I need to leave. One of our customers seems to be in an... interesting position, and I believe we can get some useful information. Do you wish to come?"

"I am somewhat preoccupied at the moment however. . ." Nuemark paused. "Yes, I'll come."

On 14/10/2020 at 0:39 AM, Somebody from Sel said:

He walked in glanced around well certainly a. . . odd assortment of people well might as well find a empty table he looked around again, there were a few empty ones the one the corner yes that will work fine he walked forward and waited for a barkeep to walk up

Reveal hidden contents

Quick description I couldn't find a convenient place to put it he's wearing a dark brown trench coat with a poleaxe laying close to his hand but not quick in it he is seated in way where you can't really see his back and his trench coat covers up pretty much everything else but he does have dark red on the brown side hair under a odd but not bad looking combination of a cowboy hat and a top hat he doesn't look too well to do but he does look like he has a decent amount of money

Reveal hidden contents

Hey just respond in a spoiler if I should create a barkeeper npc or wait for one of the barkeeper's to respond (I will count one of the barkeeper's responding as a answer)

Is this... the person I know? Can Sicaria come join him?