Investiture on Earth

artiestroke

Question

19 answers to this question

Well given that Investiture is due to the Shards that take up residence on a planet, I think it would depend on what type of Shard decides to call Earth home. Of course, The Rithmatist takes place on an alternate version of Earth, and the investiture there is quite amazing, with Brandon requiring lots of research on ancient Mayan civilizations I believe. So that might answer your question?

26 minutes ago, RithmaMistborn99 said:

Well given that Investiture is due to the Shards that take up residence on a planet, I think it would depend on what type of Shard decides to call Earth home. Of course, The Rithmatist takes place on an alternate version of Earth, and the investiture there is quite amazing, with Brandon requiring lots of research on ancient Mayan civilizations I believe. So that might answer your question?

There is no Investiture on Rithmatist Earth though, since it isn't part of the Cosmere.

As a matter of fact, no version of Earth is part of the Cosmere, so it's not a question that makes much sense asking in the first place, since we'd have to assume things that could never actually happen. That said, there are Earth-like planets in the Cosmere (in fact, most of them are, to varying degrees), so it's not impossible to imagine such a situation. The results could be just as varied as those we see in the cosmere ... I guess it could become similar to Scadrial if Ruin and Preservation chose to go there, given that Scadrial and Earth have a lot in common.

Edited by Elegy

1 minute ago, artiestroke said:

Yeah basically what I meant was had anyone asked Sanderson, if Earth was hypothetically part of the Cosmere, what kind of magic system he might make for it. I didn’t know this information about the Rithmatist everyone else is mentioning in the thread- I think I’ll have to pick that book up once I’ve gottwn through Words of Radiance and Oathbringer 

Oh, in that case, Rithmatist is more or less the answer you're looking for. Like @Weltall said, it was planned as Cosmere story (although he pulled it out before he even started writing). It's the closest a version of Earth has gotten to being Cosmere. I also recommend reading it just because it's a nice read for Brandon fans. In my opinion, it's his best non-Cosmere novel.

2 hours ago, Weltall said:

True,.but since it's got an identical biosphere (pre-Rashek), the same size and gravity and was patterned after the Cosmere's original human homeworld, I figure it's as close as we're gonna find.

Patterned after original human homeworld.  Human homeworld could quite conceivably by even more earthlike.

@Elegy While it's true that no story that includes Earth will ever be Comere, Brandon wrote Rithmatist before he'd canonized that in his head and as a result it has magic that feels like it belongs in the Cosmere and he even had a Shard in mind for the world. He's mentioned that one of the things he's needed to do for the second book is pull out some of the originally drafted elements that were 'too Cosmere' without pulling so much that it becomes too different from the first book. All the creatures connected to the magic system were originally conceived as coming from the Spiritual Realm.

That said, if you imagined that our Earth was in the Cosmere for purposes of argument you wouldn't get Rithmatics because the world of Rithmatist is different enough from our Earth (in size and geography) that the magic would presumably not express itself in the same way, even if everything else was the same. Since Scadrial has been stated to be the Cosmere's equivalent to Earth, I imagine that the interplay of the planet and the sDNA of the people would be similar on both worlds, so it would come down to which Shard(s) took up residence but there would probably be some parallels no matter what system(s) ultimately developed.

1 hour ago, Weltall said:

That said, if you imagined that our Earth was in the Cosmere for purposes of argument you wouldn't get Rithmatics because the world of Rithmatist is different enough from our Earth (in size and geography) that the magic would presumably not express itself in the same way, even if everything else was the same. Since Scadrial has been stated to be the Cosmere's equivalent to Earth, I imagine that the interplay of the planet and the sDNA of the people would be similar on both worlds, so it would come down to which Shard(s) took up residence but there would probably be some parallels no matter what system(s) ultimately developed.

Accept earth was not created by Ruin and Preservation(to the best of my knowledge).

2 hours ago, Elegy said:

There is no Investiture on Rithmatist Earth though, since it isn't part of the Cosmere.

As a matter of fact, no version of Earth is part of the Cosmere, so it's not a question that makes much sense asking in the first place, since we'd have to assume things that could never actually happen. That said, there are Earth-like planets in the Cosmere (in fact, most of them are, to varying degrees), so it's not impossible to imagine such a situation. The results could be just as varied as those we see in the cosmere ... I guess it could become similar to Scadrial if Ruin and Preservation chose to go there, given that Scadrial and Earth have a lot in common.

Hi yes, I know that Cosmere Investiture isn't present in The Rithmatist, I simply meant Investiture as the other word for magic system, apologies for the mistake. And yes, I agree about the Earth-like planets in the Cosmere theory. Would Nalthis also make a good example?

10 minutes ago, RithmaMistborn99 said:

Hi yes, I know that Cosmere Investiture isn't present in The Rithmatist, I simply meant Investiture as the other word for magic system, apologies for the mistake. And yes, I agree about the Earth-like planets in the Cosmere theory. Would Nalthis also make a good example?

It's all good. :) Nalthis is very Earth-like in terms of wildlife and it's also uncomplicated for humans to live there, so I'd say yes. We don't know much about Nalthis' astronomy though (since there's no Nalthis essay yet...), so we don't know how it relates to Earth in terms of size and gravity ... Judging from what we've seen though, it can't be too different.

Thinking of it, as of now, it seems the Shardworlds that are most unlike Earth are Roshar and Taldain.

44 minutes ago, Karger said:

Accept earth was not created by Ruin and Preservation(to the best of my knowledge).

True,.but since it's got an identical biosphere (pre-Rashek), the same size and gravity and was patterned after the Cosmere's original human homeworld, I figure it's as close as we're gonna find.

6 hours ago, Inky said:

Uh... in the form of a gas, liquid, or solid? Not sure what you mean here

Yeah basically what I meant was had anyone asked Sanderson, if Earth was hypothetically part of the Cosmere, what kind of magic system he might make for it. I didn’t know this information about the Rithmatist everyone else is mentioning in the thread- I think I’ll have to pick that book up once I’ve gottwn through Words of Radiance and Oathbringer 

9 minutes ago, Karger said:

Patterned after original human homeworld.  Human homeworld could quite conceivably by even more earthlike.

I just accidentally stumbled across a WOB that (for me, unexpectedly) deconfirms this:

A_Dunyain

This is just a stab based on perceived hints, but is Yolen the most "Earth-like" planet in the Cosmere?

Brandon Sanderson

Scadrial is, actually. Sel isn't too far off either. Yolen has some strangeness to it. Two competing ecologies, and some strange geography. But I have wavered on how to convey all of this, so none of it is set in stone yet.

/r/books AMA 2015 (April 7, 2015)

It should be on par with Scadrial astronomically though. In that regard, they're presumably pretty much the same.

On 7/2/2019 at 4:41 PM, not an Evil Librarian said:

Earth does have a shard. 

Reveal hidden contents

Calamity!

*Mumbles something about how if that's so then they

Spoiler

killed a shard in the third book and they are now all Half - Shards*

Wait. *Looks at above post* That might be true... maybe I'll say something in the Reckoners forum.