Glys' previous Knight?

Stormgate

"Don't tell anyone. I can't say it. I must whisper. I foresaw this." -drawer 30-20, a particularly small emerald

This quote, one of the OB epigraphs, obviously indicates the Radiant who used this gemstone had some ability to see into the future. From looking at other epigraphs (that will not be cited here for convenience), I can assume that the gemstone indicates the order of Radiant. Those claiming to be Stonewards always use topaz, for instance. Emerald is the gemstone associated with Truthwatcher. Glys is the only Truthwatcher spren we know of that has been corrupted to grant the Knight the ability to see the future. I believe this message was from one of Glys' former Radiants.

Edited by Stormgate

Probably but Glys does not remember being a truthwatcher spren vary well so I doubt this.  Even in her WoK state Syl remembers her previous knight that is kind of a big deal to a spren.  "I have helped men kill before."  Also we have another source that says "I worry about my fellow Truthwatchers." 8-21 - Second Emerald indicating that more then one truthwatcher experienced this.

That may be true, it could also be that Glys doesn't have those memories yet, or they have been corrupted. Remember, Syl's memory was very limited in WoK and especially in WoR. The idea that more Truthwatcher spren were corrupted brings up more, very interesting questions.

6 minutes ago, Stormgate said:

How do you know it was the same Radiant? There is nothing obvious to me to indicate it.

The two sequences that we have that show trains of thought that are obviously connected come from corresponding drawer numbers. 

For the other orders, with seemingly stand alone messages, we get the same gem types, off the top of my head I remember multiple rubies and smokestones, from differing drawer numbers. 

The drawer number seems to correspond to the individual. 

Edited by Calderis

2 minutes ago, Calderis said:

The two sequences that we have that show trains of thought that are obviously connected come from corresponding drawer numbers. 

For the other orders, with seemingly stand alone messages, we get the same gem types, off the top of my head I remember multiple rubies and smokestones, from differing drawer numbers. 

The drawer number seems to correspond to the individual. 

Thank you for that. That does make sense.

Since it's relevant, the link to the Coppermind page with the epigraphs is https://coppermind.net/wiki/Oathbringer/Epigraphs#Urithiru_Gem_Archive

4 minutes ago, Karger said:

I thought each gem was an individual.

If so, the sequences are... Remarkably in tune with each other and referential to what the others have previously said. 

The other messages all seem to be somewhat private or scornful in ways that make it clear they weren't expected to be heard by the other radiants... As was the small emerald. 

Either there was some coordination of some kind, or each drawer was an individual. Just look at the Zircon in sequence instead of separated. 

My research into the cognitive reflections of spren at the tower has been deeply illustrative. Some thought that the Sibling had withdrawn from men by intent—but I find counter to that theory.

The wilting of plants and the general cooling of the air is disagreeable, yes, but some of the tower’s functions remain in place. The increased pressure, for example, persists.

Something is happening to the Sibling. I agree this is true, but the division among the Knights Radiant is not to blame. Our perceived worthiness is a separate issue.

It's all about the same set of research, and their findings. 

I think the Truthwatcher set is more clear though. 

Something must be done about the remnants of Odium’s forces. The parsh, as they are now called, continue their war with zeal, even without their masters from Damnation.

A coalition has been formed among scholar Radiants. Our goal is to deny the enemy their supply of Voidlight; this will prevent their continuing transformations, and give us an edge in combat.

Our revelation is fueled by the theory that the Unmade can perhaps be captured like ordinary spren. It would require a special prison. And Melishi.

Ba-Ado-Mishram has somehow Connected with the parsh people, as Odium once did. She provides Voidlight and facilitates forms of power. Our strike team is going to imprison her.

We are uncertain the effect this will have on the parsh. At the very least, it should deny them forms of power. Melishi is confident, but Naze-daughter-Kuzodo warns of unintended side effects.

Surely this will bring—at long last—the end to war that the Heralds promised us.

Don’t tell anyone. I can’t say it. I must whisper. I foresaw this.

There is a definite throughline... And while I've proven my point here, it seems my memory was flawed and my initial reason for bringing this up was wrong. 

It was a different Truthwatcher :lol:

Agreed, this

53 minutes ago, Calderis said:

Surely this will bring—at long last—the end to war that the Heralds promised us.

and this

53 minutes ago, Calderis said:

Don’t tell anyone. I can’t say it. I must whisper. I foresaw this.

are to different.

• Chaos locked this topic