Frost theories

So I was reading the coppermind and I noticed that it says shard vessels don't have to be human. And we know that there is a shard that "just wants to hide and survive." I know it's probably not Frost, but I don't want to totally rule that out. Does this mean, though, that one of the vessels could be another dragon?

Our current understanding of vessels indicates that any being with attachments to all three realms (or in Kel's case 2) can be a vessel for shardic power.  Also I believe Edgi the holder of Endowment is a dragon.

Frost isn't a Vessel. It's entirely possible (in fact I'd say probable) that at least one of the Vessels is a dragon. Of the ones we know, Edgli is a likely candidate since Nalthis has an expression related to dragons and there's a reason for this even though dragons are mythical on that world. The other obvious candidate is Bavadin, mainly because Brandon has told us that we shouldn't focus too much on gender or appearance when considering her. Dragons are known to be shapeshifters so there's a possible link there.

47 minutes ago, RShara said:

Uli Da, Ambition's Vessel was a Sho Del. They're non-humanoid creatures from Yolen. If I remember the Dragonsteel excerpts on Brandon's site correctly, they're insectoid?

The description from the excerpts make them sound very similar to humans in appearance, except for their bone-white skin, their (almost) all-black eyes and the features of their faces being too angular. Their skeletons are noted to look almost identical to humans, though they seem to have at least one unique bone. This might have been appropriated for the Singers with their gemhearts, since there seems to be something magical/dangerous about that bone.

Edited by Weltall

3 minutes ago, Weltall said:

Frost isn't a Vessel. It's entirely possible (in fact I'd say probable) that at least one of the Vessels is a dragon. Of the ones we know, Edgli is a likely candidate since Nalthis has an expression related to dragons and there's a reason for this even though dragons are mythical on that world. The other obvious candidate is Bavadin, mainly because Brandon has told us that we shouldn't focus too much on gender or appearance when considering her. Dragons are known to be shapeshifters so there's a possible link there.

The description from the excerpts make them sound very similar to humans in appearance, except for their bone-white skin, their (almost) all-black eyes and the features of their faces being too angular. Their skeletons are noted to look almost identical to humans, though they seem to have at least one unique bone. This might have been appropriated for the Singers with their gemhearts, since there seems to be something magical/dangerous about that bone.

I swear I remember reading descriptions that made me think insectoid, but it's been a while.

23 minutes ago, Weltall said:

thanks, that clears things up a bit

1 hour ago, RShara said:

I swear I remember reading descriptions that made me think insectoid, but it's been a while.

I think they are part of a (magic) fungus or moss based ecosystem but I can’t find where I read that. Brandon said Singers are kind of similar to Sho Del. https://wob.coppermind.net/events/353/#e10319

39 minutes ago, Child of Hodor said:

I think they are part of a (magic) fungus or moss based ecosystem but I can’t find where I read that. Brandon said Singers are kind of similar to Sho Del. https://wob.coppermind.net/events/353/#e10319

The similarities probably come from Brandon taking whatever he liked from the Sho Del (or whatever would work on Roshar at least) and transplanting it to the Singers, but there may be a deeper connection.

As for the fungus-based ecosystem, I'm not sure Brandon's said it directly but it's implicit in the Sho Del's description as being unnaturally white (which is how all fainlife is described) and the description of the Sho Del as being Fain/coming from 'Fain lands'. Since fainlife is linked to the skullmoss, they're part of that ecosystem. Which is about all we can say on that particular subject right now, as much as I'd love to know more. xD

4 hours ago, Weltall said:

The other obvious candidate is Bavadin, mainly because Brandon has told us that we shouldn't focus too much on gender or appearance when considering her. Dragons are known to be shapeshifters so there's a possible link there.

I hadn't heard this before. I wonder if Bavadin might be a Dysian. That could explain why it was referring to its self in 3rd person in The Letter.

17 minutes ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

I hadn't heard this before. I wonder if Bavadin might be a Dysian. That could explain why it was referring to its self in 3rd person in The Letter.

Here's the WoB on Bavadin if you're interested. As far as being a Dysian, we know that all sixteen original Vessels were Yolish which means Bavadin was a human, Dragon or Sho Del. The use of the third person probably has to do with how she creates avatars on various worlds and so she's using the royal 'we' in a particularly literal sense.

7 hours ago, Weltall said:

Don't they also have four arms? That might be where @RShara is getting the insect comparison.

58 minutes ago, Invocation said:

Don't they also have four arms? That might be where @RShara is getting the insect comparison.

They don't, it's mentioned in the excerpts that it's far easier to tell human and Sho Del remains apart by the remains of their clothes and armor than by the bones since they're so similar. The Sho Del are mentioned to sometimes ride reptilian creatures described as having four small legs in the front and two larger legs in the back, maybe that's what you're thinking of?

Edited by Weltall

7 minutes ago, Weltall said:

They don't, it's mentioned in the excerpts that it's far easier to tell human and Sho Del remains apart by the remains of their clothes and armor than by the bones since they're so similar. The Sho Del are mentioned to sometimes ride reptilian creatures described as having four small legs in the front and two larger legs in the back, maybe that's what you're thinking of?

Yeah, that would do it. I need to reread the bits that have been released.

• Chaos locked this topic