Jasnah V Kaladin

Karger

3 minutes ago, The Ryshadium said:

No she can't soul cast the entire planet. If she can soulcast the air with enough stormlight when the air sees itself as one entity, I see no reason why she couldn't soulcast a smaller portion of the ground with enough stormlight. Sure it's a lot harder but I'm pretty sure it could be done. Shallan's father soulcast areas of his land into mineral deposits after all. My argument still stands. She could immobilize him.

There is also the scene with soulcasting the windbreak. The Ardents didn't soulcast a giant block. If i recall correctly it did connect to the ground. Actually as I type this out, it kind of has to connect, otherwise how did Jasnah soulcast steps connected to the wall to run up them? Unlike the picture on the cover, she didn't soulcast them hanging in midair. They were linked to something. (tagged you because you were the most recent response to that point. to clarify I am agreeing with you)

Edited by Pathfinder

5 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

There is also the scene with soulcasting the windbreak. The Ardents didn't soulcast a giant block. If i recall correctly it did connect to the ground. Actually as I type this out, it kind of has to connect, otherwise how did Jasnah soulcast steps connected to the wall to run up them? Unlike the picture on the cover, she didn't soulcast them hanging in midair. They were linked to something

Yeah, I totally forgot about the windbreaks! It seems there are many examples to help my argument. (Don't worry, I understood that you were agreeing with me.)

Edited by The Ryshadium

33 minutes ago, The Ryshadium said:

No she can't soul cast the entire planet. If she can soulcast the air with enough stormlight when the air sees itself as one entity, I see no reason why she couldn't soulcast a smaller portion of the ground with enough stormlight. Sure it's a lot harder but I'm pretty sure it could be done. Shallan's father soulcast areas of his land into mineral deposits after all. My argument still stands. She could immobilize him.

True but if he gets out of it somehow she is in trouble as soulcasting a large portion of the ground is going to be incredibly costly.  Also he might be able to do some kind of concussive attack with adhesion.

Edited by Karger

44 minutes ago, Calderis said:

Kaladin getting plate at some point in the near future is believable.

It certainly would fit in the narrative better.

Advanced particle physics would be very out of place in this story. That being said, so would a fight to the death between Jasnah and Kaladin.

46 minutes ago, Calderis said:

Rosharan science advancing to the point that Jasnah can soulcast antimatter or plutonium when she wasn't able to soulcast strawberry jam seems... Far more farfetched. 

Why would Rosharan science need to advance? There are many other worlds out there that could be at a place, scientifically, where knowledge of subatomic particles isn't uncommon. As to the strawberry jam, that (or any other prepared food) would likely be one of the most difficult things to soul cast. You would need to distribute the various chemicals that give it it's taste in a very specific way in order to replicate it properly. I expect this is why soulcast food is always so bland. Comparatively, making a particle, or group of particles, swap their charge should be pretty straight forward. You wouldn't even need to violate conservation of matter.

14 minutes ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

Why would Rosharan science need to advance? There are many other worlds out there that could be at a place, scientifically, where knowledge of subatomic particles isn't uncommon.

Um, considering the timeframe, I find that unlikely. Era 2 scadrial is easily the most advanced we've seen, and that's a good decade after the current time in SA. 

On 3/22/2019 at 5:29 PM, Karger said:

True but if he gets out of it somehow she is in trouble as soulcasting a large portion of the ground is going to be incredibly costly.  Also he might be able to do some kind of concussive attack with adhesion.

On 3/22/2019 at 5:38 PM, Karger said:

Out of curiosity what is the verdict on adhesion based concussive attacks?

I agree that Kaladin could theoretically use pressure to break out if he was encased in fully in stone or metal, but i foresee one main problem. How would he produce such a force across his body to break the rock/metal, and not kill himself in the process?

On 3/22/2019 at 6:30 PM, SwordNimiForPresident said:

Isn't SA happening about 1000 years after Elantris?

Fun little tidbit. As of alloy of law, people were discussing hemalurgy and such, and I said that maybe someone off planet was further advancing their capabilities. I was told that that was impossible. Then we got to see what happened to Wax's father and I felt rather vindicated lol.  

If they were fighting each other? Kaladin, as a result of his training, skill, and superior maneuverability/agility would probably win. If it was a contest of how many enemies each could take out, Jasnah would win as she can take out enemies faster and in a wider area with her Soulcasting. Of course, this is implying that the two have near-infinite stormlight like they did in the battle at Thaylen City

3 hours ago, Pathfinder said:

I agree that Kaladin could theoretically use pressure to break out if he was encased in fully in stone or metal, but i foresee one main problem. How would he produce such a force across his body to break the rock/metal, and not kill himself in the process?

I was thinking of something like blowing up Jasnah.  Do we know how well Shardplate can stand up to something like that?

30 minutes ago, Karger said:

I was thinking of something like blowing up Jasnah.  Do we know how well Shardplate can stand up to something like that?

I can't imagine how much Stormlight it would take to make a concussion bomb strong enough to kill Jasnah in her plate, but I would guess that it is less than it would take to soulcast said bomb into a rock before Kaladin can use it. Additionally, without shrapnel the bomb would likely be very ineffective against plate. A strong blast like that would pose a threat to normal people because of TBI and such, but that would be a very minor thing to heal with Stormlight. It would also be fairly difficult to use since Adhesion seems to be limited to what you can touch. I'm not sure how Kaladin could set it off without hitting himself.

Edited by SwordNimiForPresident

1 hour ago, luluzulu said:

If they were fighting each other? Kaladin, as a result of his training, skill, and superior maneuverability/agility would probably win. If it was a contest of how many enemies each could take out, Jasnah would win as she can take out enemies faster and in a wider area with her Soulcasting. Of course, this is implying that the two have near-infinite stormlight like they did in the battle at Thaylen City

So minor nitpick because I went through the trouble of going over those scenes in depth. At Thaylenah there was not near infinite stormlight. They all got one initial big charge, then all the stones from the reserve was charged up, and then it stopped. The realms slowly drifted back apart so the implication is all surge binding was made easier, but the stormlight was definitely limited. Shallan and Kaladin plow through their resources to the point of exhaustion. They both were basically lucky they lasted as long as they did for the reinforcements to arrive. 

As to Kaladin winning based on training, skill and etc. I respect your thoughts. Earlier in this thread I wrote why I disagree with this. If you are curious, I can post it again, but if you just wanted to post your thoughts, then thank you for contributing!

55 minutes ago, Karger said:

As Swordnimiforpresident brings up below, a large part of the damage that concussive forces do is to organ damage, which I agree would be easily healed by stormlight, and I think would be mitigated by the plate. I mean maybe if he uses all his stormlight for a super focused blast, I could see it blasting away the plate, but Jasnah would still be able to retaliate with relative impunity. 

25 minutes ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

I can't imagine how much Stormlight it would take to make a concussion bomb strong enough to kill Jasnah in her plate, but I would guess that it is less than it would take to soulcast said bomb into a rock before Kaladin can use it. Additionally, without shrapnel the bomb would likely be very ineffective against plate. A strong blast like that would pose a threat to normal people because of TBI and such, but that would be a very minor thing to heal with Stormlight. It would also be fairly difficult to use since Adhesion seems to be limited to what you can touch. I'm not sure how Kaladin could set it off without hitting himself.

Good point regarding range of touch. He would need to get close, and he wouldn't be able to use it on her directly. 

19 hours ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

Doesn't Dalinar manages to pin Kadash to the floor without touching him?  Also he is not making a bomb that she can soulcast he is altering the air so that it pushes in a sudden burst like a bomb.  We know he can calm the winds of a highstrom for hundreds of feet around him with infinite stormlight.  Logically it should take the same amount of energy to create that kind of wind.  According my source a 20mph wind on earth carries 600 watts per square meter.  I am going to believe that a highstorm has 150mph winds.  So according to the calculation offered by my source a highstorm produces 2025 watts per square meter.  This is a lot of energy and Kaladin maintains it over a wide area of several hundred feet.  Yes he does this with unlimited stormlight but why can't he do it with less over a much smaller area?  Something that could knock Jasnah over or crash her against a wall or the floor?

14 minutes ago, Karger said:

Doesn't Dalinar manages to pin Kadash to the floor without touching him?  Also he is not making a bomb that she can soulcast he is altering the air so that it pushes in a sudden burst like a bomb.  We know he can calm the winds of a highstrom for hundreds of feet around him with infinite stormlight.  Logically it should take the same amount of energy to create that kind of wind.  According my source a 20mph wind on earth carries 600 watts per square meter.  I am going to believe that a highstorm has 150mph winds.  So according to the calculation offered by my source a highstorm produces 2025 watts per square meter.  This is a lot of energy and Kaladin maintains it over a wide area of several hundred feet.  Yes he does this with unlimited stormlight but why can't he do it with less over a much smaller area?  Something that could knock Jasnah over or crash her against a wall or the floor?

Dalinar had Kadash in a grapple, so he was touching him. Quote below

Spoiler

Oathbringer page 180

The ardent grunted, then shoved away Dalinar’s weapon and lunged at him. Dalinar, however, caught Kadash’s arm, then spun the man with his own momentum. He slammed Kadash down to the ground and held him there. “The world is ending, Kadash,” Dalinar said. “I can’t simply rely on tradition. I need to know why. Convince me. Offer me proof of what you say.” “You shouldn’t need proof in the Almighty. You sound like your niece!” “I’ll take that as a compliment.” “What … what of the Heralds?” Kadash said. “Do you deny them, Dalinar? They were servants of the Almighty, and their existence proved his. They had power.” “Power?” Dalinar said. “Like this?” He sucked in Stormlight. Murmuring rose from those watching as Dalinar began to glow, then did … something else. Commanded the Light. When he rose, he left Kadash stuck to the ground in a pool of Radiance that held him fast, binding him to the stone. The ardent wriggled, helpless

As we said before, Jasnah could soulcast the composition of the air. She sees the "atoms". That is what she is referring to when she speaks of "axi". Confirmed by WoB. We also again get back to Jasnah teleporting away to avoid an explosion. Basically what it comes down to (for me) is all your ideas for Kaladin with gravitation and adhesion, Jasnah can do easier and more effectively with transformation and transportation. 

Edited by Pathfinder

9 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

As we said before, Jasnah could soulcast the composition of the air. She sees the "atoms". That is what she is referring to when she speaks of "axi". Confirmed by WoB. We also again get back to Jasnah teleporting away to avoid an explosion. Basically what it comes down to (for me) is all your ideas for Kaladin with gravitation and adhesion, Jasnah can do easier and more effectively with transformation and transportation. 

I don't think that Jasnah can control wind as effectively as Kaladin can.  Yes she can create or destroy it but she does not seem to realy be able to direct it.

39 minutes ago, Karger said:

I don't think that Jasnah can control wind as effectively as Kaladin can.  Yes she can create or destroy it but she does not seem to realy be able to direct it.

I re-read your last post where you said Kaladin calmed the wind for 100s of feet around him. I have included the scene below and I do not see 100s of feet mentioned anywhere. He only acted as a stone in a river, deflecting a portion of the force. 

Spoiler

Oathbringer page 322

A hundred windspren spun in as lines of light, twisting around his arm, wrapping it like ribbons. They surged with Light, then exploded outward in a blinding sheet, sweeping to Kaladin's sides and parting the winds around him. Kaladin stood with his hand toward the tempest, and deflected it. Like a stone in a swift-moving river stopped the waters, he opened a pocket in the storm, creating a calm wake behind him. The storm raged against him, but he held the point in a formation of windspren that spread from him like wings, diverting the storm. He managed to turn his head as the storm battered him. people huddled behind him, soaked, confused - surrounded by calm. "Go!" he shouted "Go!" They found their feet, the young father taking his son back from Kaladin's leeward arm. Kaladin backed up with them, maintaining the windbreak. This group was only some of those trapped by the winds, yet it took everything Kaladin had to hold the tempest

Jasnah can selectively transform the air down to the atoms. Have you ever watched full metal alchemist? Because it seems that is basically what she does. She could soulcast the air in such a way, and spark it to cause it to explode perfectly around Kaladin. She could soulcast a bulwark of stone against his blowing air and accomplish the same feat he did in the above scene. I am not saying Kaladin is not effective. All I am saying is transformation in Jasnah's hands coupled with transportation trumps him. Other radiant orders could potentially trump elsecallers. And windrunners could potentially trump other radiant orders. 

Edited by Pathfinder

23 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

Jasnah can selectively transform the air down to the atoms. Have you ever watched full metal alchemist? Because it seems that is basically what she does. She could soulcast the air in such a way, and spark it to cause it to explode perfectly around Kaladin. She could soulcast a bulwark of stone against his blowing air and accomplish the same feat he did in the above scene. I am not saying Kaladin is not effective. All I am saying is transformation in Jasnah's hands coupled with transportation trumps him. Other radiant orders could potentially trump elsecallers. And windrunners could potentially trump other radiant orders. 

Does it though?  Kaladin's abilities are intuitive they are fast and simple to use Jasnah's require a great deal of forethought and preparation and can still be overturned by a fast or clever enough opponent.  For example if Jasnah creates a wall of flamable material and Kaladin realities what she is doing he could blow it against her or create a sphere of air around him and order it to remain calm blocking the explosion.  Kaladin can do these things quickly and naturally where Jasnah's abilities require a great deal of forethought to plan for unintended consequences.  If Jasnah had an guard of experienced radiants and she was fighting Kaladin and an equal group of his squires or fellow windrunners she would probably win but all of her abilities require some kind of understanding or planning.  Having played DnD I know just how nasty it is when a perfect spell is exploited or avoided by an opponent and you realize that your hand to hand options are limited.  This is exactly the problem with Jasnah's power set we have no idea of anything she can use against an invested opponent that will stop them at close corners and could not be used against her if she makes a mistake.   Also this is not rock paper scissors the outcome of this kind of fight will be determined by a wide bunch of factors not all of which anyone can anticipate.  Saying that someone's powers trump someone else's is ridiculous as all the power in the world will not help you if you do not have a legitimate way to use them.  If Kaladin were a scholar and Jasnah a soldier the fight would be vary different but this is not the case.

Edited by Karger

26 minutes ago, Karger said:

Does it though?  Kaladin's abilities are intuitive they are fast and simple to use Jasnah's require a great deal of forethought and preparation and can still be overturned by a fast or clever enough opponent.  For example if Jasnah creates a wall of flamable material and Kaladin realities what she is doing he could blow it against her or create a sphere of air around him and order it to remain calm blocking the explosion.  Kaladin can do these things quickly and naturally where Jasnah's abilities require a great deal of forethought to plan for unintended consequences.  If Jasnah had an guard of experienced radiants and she was fighting Kaladin and an equal group of his squires or fellow windrunners she would probably win but all of her abilities require some kind of understanding or planning.  Having played DnD I know just how nasty it is when a perfect spell is exploited or avoided by an opponent and you realize that your hand to hand options are limited.  This is exactly the problem with Jasnah's power set we have no idea of anything she can use against an invested opponent that will stop them at close corners and could not be used against her if she makes a mistake.   Also this is not rock paper scissors the outcome of this kind of fight will be determined by a wide bunch of factors not all of which anyone can anticipate.  Saying that someone's powers trump someone else's is ridiculous as all the power in the world will not help you if you do not have a legitimate way to use them.

Soulcasting is a practiced art. One Jasnah is well versed in. I provided prior quotes that show the skill in which she employs it prior to the bringing together of the realms. So Jasnah can in fact soulcast quite quickly, as well as do multiple soulcastings in succession. Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought it was established that Kaladin's pressure control does not create new "air". Manipulating pressure gradients is what would result in moving air around. I am unsure if it is possible to through pressure condense air enough to act as a wall to block an explosion. Kaladin had to learn how to use his abilities through trial and error and practice just like Jasnah. So there is nothing I can recall in the book that would indicate Kaladin would intrinsically have a better handle on his abilities than Jasnah. I have played DnD as well, and it is just as enjoyable to watch melee enemies be neutered by a well placed spell (for instance a immobilize spell preventing a melee enemy from closing, and thereby their whole turn is lost while allies can fire upon it from ranged with impunity. A monster with multiple attacks being blinded by a spell resulting in penalties to every single attack causing it to miss every single ally, and so on). Kaladin has the same exact limitations regarding using surges on a person. Ironically I agree but not as you intended. All the stormlight that Kaladin can shove into his surges will change nothing if transportation or transformation can either negate them, or avoid them completely. 

edit: there was one game I was rather proud of in DnD. I was a halfing (or gnome, now I am not sure which race) wizard focused on illusions. We entered a cave where we saw frost salamanders on the ceiling. I used a knowledge check to recall frost salamanders take extra damage from fire, and then created an illusion of lava across the floor. The failed their will save and believed the floor was now covered with lava. This allowed us to move to flank them, and attack them while they were restricted by being stuck to the ceiling, or trying to cross the walls because they were afraid of the lava and couldn't come down to attack directly. A well placed spell can do a ton :)

edit 2: also just thought, how would Kaladin realize what Jasnah was doing to stop her? Her transforming oxygen to hydrogen and then igniting it would not be visible to the naked eye. How would he know what was changed into what? Or another option is transform the ground in a sheet under him like she did to the fused and then ignite that. When Kaladin fought Amaram, he saw Amaram do something to the ground, but did not realize what was being done, or respond to it before the ground swallowed his feet and hardened. He realized after the fact to remain aloft. So Jasnah would be able to get the explosion off before he knew what was going on. 

Edited by Pathfinder

19 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

A well placed spell can do a ton :)

As a fellow wizard I agree with you but having played for a while I can tell you that for all the amazing (you forgot that I had the fog cloud spell that can effectively block snipers) there is often a (my entire strategy revolved around them not getting through my impenetrable barrier we are all sitting ducks now noooooo.) 

21 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

Kaladin had to learn how to use his abilities through trial and error and practice just like Jasnah. So there is nothing I can recall in the book that would indicate Kaladin would intrinsically have a better handle on his abilities than Jasnah

I am not saying he is better at using them I am saying that his abilities better lend themselves to simple combat use.  Kaladin's surges require you to know a bit about how wind and gravity works Jasnah's depend and deep understandings of how a verity of substances behave under various circumstances.  In combat it is hard to keep a large number of options open and ready at one time.  Kaladin can just think move this way or air block this stuff or get away from me sticky goop.  Jasnah has to think alight I need a flamable liquid that I can light on fire he countered then I have to change it to a substance that is inflammable.  Do I have the correct gems for that? How does this behave at high or low pressures.  Will he be able to break out of this?  What about this? Sure she has Ivory to remind her of this stuff but even an inkspren can make errors or fail to understand something important and it is hard to communicate with someone in battle even with a bond.

I'm honestly surprised at how long this conversation has been going, though I suppose it's fun to speculate on the combat capabilities of some of our favorite Radiants. Personally I think that they are close enough in their respective skills that a battle between them isn't clear cut even though Jasnah wins most scenarios in my mind. 

Karger brings up a good point about having too many options. When one can change anything into anything else things can become muddled in a combat situation. Jasnah does pretty well against the Fused but poorly against the assassination attempt. Mixed bag. Of course the same can be said regarding Kaladin. Well in the 4 v 1 duel, awesome against Szeth, not quite so well against Amaram in Yelig-Nar monster mode. 

So let's break down each character. Kaladin can use his Surges faster, not much faster than Jasnah but in combat fractions of a second count. Kaladin is more mobile. Kaladin isn't dumb, and though Jasnah may be objectively smarter, she has had far less time filtering her thoughts though the sieve of combat than Kaladin has. He can do things by instinct and muscle memory that Jasnah has to think about. Where Kaladin suffers has less to do with his battle prowess and more to do with the limitations of his Surges versus powered opponents. He must touch something to lash it and he cannot lash an opponent at all if they have Plate. He must manipulate the environment to hit Jasnah and all his impressive movement relies on Stormlight. His ace in the hole, pressure manipulation, has limited utility against someone who can escape in a blink, though he may be able to use it in a defensive role against flying debris (like aluminum flakes.

Jasnah is a powerhouse, efficient in her Stormlight usage with range. She doesn't have to touch an object to effect its physical nature, though it would probably be prohibitive to try to cast a person in Plate, likely impossible without infinite Stormlight and an unconscious spren opponent. However anything else in her range can be changed to something advantageous to her, including the very air. She's only limited by her knowledge of material on that score, and the essences are quite sufficient for the creation of mayhem. Lastly, if things are going south too fast for her to handle she's got a built-in escape. Her disadvantage vs. Kaladin is that she's only using one Surge in battle to Kaladin's 2. Other disadvantages are that casting costs more to use on an instance to instance basis ( @Pathfinder likely disagrees with me on that point) and she doesn't have much combat experience. She has a lot of experience killing people I assume, and the mindset to be ruthless. That mindset counts for much; it's probably why she did so well at Thaylen City. But muscle memory counts for more. She does have a few go-to moves but she doesn't have the experience to instantly react to unexpected happenings in the heat of battle. Lastly, she's slow. She moves at a stately pace because she has to keep her mind on the next threat and cannot waste time navigating the landscape if she wants to be effective. 

I forsee a battle between them as Kaladin burning through Stormlight trying to play keep away and rock dodgeball. Jasnah dodges some objects tossed with the force of gravity behind them, casts others away, takes hits on her Shardplate the things she cannot dodge or cast away. In most instances Kal runs dry before Jasnah does and she entombs him before he can lay hands on her. In other instances he keeps her too occupied for offensive tactics and forces her to burn through all her reserves, either killing her when she runs dry or forcing her to flee into the CR. Kaladin has a greater or lesser degree of success depending on environment. For example, any environment that limits Kaladin's mobility will be an obvious disadvantage unless there are objects he can Lash towards Jasnah that would be difficult for her to dodge. In close quarters Jasnah has too many options for him to overcome. 

I agree to an extant but your last point about Kaladin being at a disadvantage does not seem to work vary well.  We know that the assassin in white for example was able to manipulate indoor environment to his advantage.  Yes he was not fighting aponents with surges but what is Jasnah going to do when going toe to toe with a skilled soldier?  Entombing him seems far to dangerous as he could by moving a few feet either doge or berry her with him and I am not sure if fleeing into the cognitive realm is ideal inside as objects will be both above and below you.

Szeth fought against unpowered opponents who were still coming to grips with something that should not be possible according to their worldview. The world had largely forgotten about the abilities of Surgebinders; there's no equivalent of a hazekiller squad in Roshar at present. Jasnah will not have that problem. He gets within arm's reach of Jasnah and she blocks the hallway with one wall to stop his momentum, closes him in on all sides and casts the air inside the enclosure to oil, casts a spark to set the oil aflame if Kaladin cuts his way free with Syl. Stabs him with Ivory while he's distracted. 

If she turns the air to oil then sparking it will do nothing.  Also If he gets within arms reach of her he can make his Sylblade longer and smash it into her for some damage.  I have complete respect for Jasnah but what is she going to do against Kaladin if he shatters at least one section of her armor?

As far as a fight between Jasnah and Kaladin go, I would place my bets on Jasnah.

I believe Jasnah is more strongwilled than Kaladin, and she is significantly smarter. Kaladin would have an advantage of creativity and flat martial prowess, but magically Jasnah is far superior. At their current levels, anyway. Later in the series if Kaladin and Jasnah are both full radiants (swearing all their ideals) that MIGHT change, but even so.

Just look at the final battle in Oathbringer. I'm not even sure how she does what she is doing, although I had theories. I think she could definitely wear Kaladin down.

That's not to say, though, that I like Kaladin less. If he were able to outwit her, and get in close then he stands a real chance. But with distance between them, I very much doubt that he would prevail. I'm pretty sure Jasnah could either teleport herself or Kaladin if she needed to get away from him.