Hemalurgic Atium

beantheboy12

If TLR gave it to him, then he would have had plenty of atium to use. If it was Ruin...The chart was probably made by the Lord Ruler, and he didn't know everything about Hemalurgy. Ruin would know much better how to grant any power, and any tricks or alternatives for what he wants to do.

We actually have an explanation via WoB

zas678

Why on earth does Marsh have a Feruchemical atium spike? You've said that Ironeyes is in fact Marsh. Did Ruin spike someone for him? Or did Sazed grant him the power?

Brandon Sanderson

Dead inquisitors Vin killed. Some were granted the spike for reasons I haven't spoken of yet.

/r/Fantasy_Bookclub Alloy of Law Q&A (Jan. 17, 2012)

So, for a currently unknown reason, some Inquisitors had a spike for F-Atium. Marsh already had a spike for A-Atium. Combine the two and you get an atium compounder.

Edited by Weltall

1 minute ago, Weltall said:

Also, welcome to the Shard!

Who?

1 minute ago, Weltall said:

So, for a currently unknown reason, some Inquisitors had a spike for F-Atium. Marsh already had a spike for A-Atium. Combine the two and you get an atium compounder.

Yes, but what spikes would they use? Cadmium and Gold?

1 hour ago, beantheboy12 said:

Who?

Yes, but what spikes would they use? Cadmium and Gold?

That was me looking at two topics at once and forgetting which I was in for a second with that one. Which is why I edited it out, like Ruin. xD

And probably atium since it's the only thing that we know can steal the ability to use atium in allomancy; it's not unreasonable to assume it's required to steal F-Atium as well. It's not as if either Rashek or Ruin is going to be shy about using that metal since the former has virtually the entire world's supply (if they were given to Inquisitors before Ruin was freed) and the latter could always reclaim it later (if they got the spikes after Ruin's release).

Edited by Weltall

53 minutes ago, Invocation said:

Bet the reason is that Ruin wanted to take them into the Cognitive Realm before ending all of Scadrial and use them as a strike force on other worlds.

Cool idea! I’m behind on my Metallurgic Theory. How, exactly, would this allow Ruin to bring them into the cognitive realm?

5 hours ago, Invocation said:

Bet the reason is that Ruin wanted to take them into the Cognitive Realm before ending all of Scadrial and use them as a strike force on other worlds.

I had the same thought, but there is one issue - what would have happened to Hemalurgy if Scadrial had been destroyed? Indeed, what would happen to any system if the shard related to it or the planet it is based on were destroyed? Either Ruin didn't intend to fully destroy Scadrial, or a system can survive its planet being destroyed.

7 hours ago, Ixthos said:

I had the same thought, but there is one issue - what would have happened to Hemalurgy if Scadrial had been destroyed? Indeed, what would happen to any system if the shard related to it or the planet it is based on were destroyed? Either Ruin didn't intend to fully destroy Scadrial, or a system can survive its planet being destroyed.

I'd be willing to bet the magic can survive if the Shard does, especially if there is a Vessel in charge of that Shard that can actively choose to relocate and start giving powers to a different area of the cosmere.

35 minutes ago, Invocation said:

I'd be willing to bet the magic can survive if the Shard does, especially if there is a Vessel in charge of that Shard that can actively choose to relocate and start giving powers to a different area of the cosmere.

Could be - I started a topic discussing this not that long ago - though I wonder if the shard would have to remain "celibate" planet-wise to sustain it. Otherwise, a shard could travel from one world to another, building up magic systems related to it, and destroying the world before moving on.

40 minutes ago, Invocation said:

I tend to agree with this. I don't necessarily think that the Shard will die if the planet gets destroyed.

• Chaos locked this topic