Multi Radiant

Turin Turambar

I think it's important to recognize that Kal is constantly struggling to see what's right in front of his face. He's complex in a lot of ways, but he ends up falling into many of the "traps" that we as readers are screaming for him to avoid. Though that makes him an endearing hero, it also means that he's more likely to miss the opportunity to expand sometimes. And for storms sake, he'd better say the 4th Oath in the next book! Also, I think the relationship with him and Syl will be where he truly expands in the next couple books. By far my favorite Radiant/Spren tandem. 

If Kaladin were to have an Honorblade to keep, Ishar's blade would be wasted on him. He already shares one surge with Bondsmiths (Adhesion) and the other (Cohesion or Tension, cannot remember which) doesn't have much of a battlefield application. And holding that blade ain't gonna make him Dalinar, even Dalinar-lite.

On 2/13/2019 at 9:23 AM, RayW2 said:

Lol. Classic. "Adolin is gonna die and Kaladin will take Shallan, because no way Kaladin doesn't get a girl" Who cares that Sanderson was building Adolin/Shallan since book 2.

I have wanted Shallan dead for a long time, she is irritating. Same with Renarian, Adolin needs something to push him over the edge. Kaladin needs what counts as an antidepressant on Roshar. I want to see Jasnah as a view point character, maybe have her end her annoying ward and create a rift between Adolin and the rest of the Kohlin family.

1 hour ago, CrazyRioter said:

Also, Kaladin should have the Edgedancer or Truthwatcher honorblade if he gets one, he'd love having access to Regrowth.

That's a great point! Kaladin with Edgedancer powers would be pretty scary!

1 hour ago, Bigmikey357 said:

If Kaladin were to have an Honorblade to keep, Ishar's blade would be wasted on him. He already shares one surge with Bondsmiths (Adhesion) and the other (Cohesion or Tension, cannot remember which) doesn't have much of a battlefield application. And holding that blade ain't gonna make him Dalinar, even Dalinar-lite.

No it won't, but Dalinar is a very weird case as well. As of Book 3, we've never seen a normal Bondsmith "on-screen". We know of what Melishi did, but Dalinar is basically a super-charged Bondsmith; and Ishar is a Herald which is something else altogether. Kaladin gaining the powers to Connect with other cultures with a touch due to Adhesion, combined with Cohesion to help rebuild fort and garrisons and his natural leadership abilities (with a touch of his Windrunner Resonance kicking in), Kaladin would make for a DEADLY insurgent/guerrilla warfare trainer. He could nearly single-handedly go into enemy-controlled territory and raise an army/resistance. Heck, pretty much did that in OB! But with the Bondsmith Honorblade, he wouldn't need to know the language first. 

Also, don't different surges act differently under different Orders? I feel like Sanderson has mentioned something like that before...

All that said, you do make a good point, and maybe just for extra power the Dustbringer or Stoneward Honorblade would be better. 

1 hour ago, Use the Falchion said:

Kaladin gaining the powers to Connect with other cultures with a touch due to Adhesion, combined with Cohesion to help rebuild fort and garrisons and his natural leadership abilities (with a touch of his Windrunner Resonance kicking in), Kaladin would make for a DEADLY insurgent/guerrilla warfare trainer. He could nearly single-handedly go into enemy-controlled territory and raise an army/resistance. Heck, pretty much did that in OB! But with the Bondsmith Honorblade, he wouldn't need to know the language first. 

Bondsmiths get Tension. 

Cohesion is Stoneward and Willshaper. 

Also, don't different surges act differently under different Orders? I feel like Sanderson has mentioned something like that before...

Yes and no. There are minor differences, except apparently for Bondsmiths, and weve yet to ee how. 

For example, Skybreaker and Windrunner Gravitation seems to be identical. 

Dalinar is basically a super-charged Bondsmith;

As long as we have Heralds and their abandoned oaths, I expect we will see a super-charged member of each Order, occupying the role, if not the power, of each Herald. I can imagine Kaladin saying "I am PROTECTION!", the same way Dalinar said he was Unity. 

6 hours ago, ZenBossanova said:

As long as we have Heralds and their abandoned oaths, I expect we will see a super-charged member of each Order, occupying the role, if not the power, of each Herald. I can imagine Kaladin saying "I am PROTECTION!", the same way Dalinar said he was Unity. 

Oh that'd be pretty cool! I'd be down for that.

8 hours ago, ZenBossanova said:

I can imagine Kaladin saying "I am PROTECTION!", the same way Dalinar said he was Unity. 

You probably ruined the books now for me since I'm never going to be staisfied with everything ever again should this not really happen.
Maybe I need a fanfiction where Kaladin runs around randomly rescuing people from minor inconveniences like doing the dishes, yelling "I AM PROTECTION" all the way.

27 minutes ago, Winds Alight said:

Maybe I need a fanfiction where Kaladin runs around randomly rescuing people from minor inconveniences like doing the dishes, yelling "I AM PROTECTION" all the way.

This is the only scenario I will accept this "I am PROTECTION!" thing :lol:

Pushing that idea to its logical conclusion is hard since we haven't seen very many oaths sworn. We can see Skybreakers doing their best Judge Dread impersonation (I AM THE LAW!!!), or maybe Edgedancers saying I am Compassion. Lightweaver maybe I am the Truth, but we don't know enough for the rest. Maybe we can speculate.

Random thought: What kind of spren was Oathbringer?
Might be a stretch, but we know via Stormfather that the blade doesn't hate Dalinar as much as it hates other people who bonded it before.
So how about when it becomes obvious (via Adolin and Maya?) that a dead blade can be revived, Dalinar has a talk with Stormfather, who reluctantly agrees to Dalinar taking a shot at reviving Oathbringer, who then wants to bond Dalinar afterwards?
Sure, it'd make Dalinar even more overpowered than he already is in some ways, but why the Damnation not? Stormlight is one of those few book series where I'd probably be okay with a completely overpowered cast.

1 minute ago, CrazyRioter said:

Nah, Kaladin respects Dalinar and would be pleased for him.

He was kinda jealous (in a humorous way) at the end of WoR when Dalinar learned how to take in Stormlight within seconds after bonding Stormfather.
So he might be mildly annoyed when Dalinar has Lashings down just as fast without Lashing himself against multiple building first ^^

6 hours ago, Winds Alight said:

Random thought: What kind of spren was Oathbringer?
Might be a stretch, but we know via Stormfather that the blade doesn't hate Dalinar as much as it hates other people who bonded it before.
So how about when it becomes obvious (via Adolin and Maya?) that a dead blade can be revived, Dalinar has a talk with Stormfather, who reluctantly agrees to Dalinar taking a shot at reviving Oathbringer, who then wants to bond Dalinar afterwards?
Sure, it'd make Dalinar even more overpowered than he already is in some ways, but why the Damnation not? Stormlight is one of those few book series where I'd probably be okay with a completely overpowered cast.

I have a theory with nothing concrete to back it up that Oathbringer is a Willshaper spren. All the imagery on the blade looks to me water themed. It has a "fish hook" hook on it. It has serrations that resemble waves. The reachers were sailors in the cognitive realm. Now true we do see honorspren manning boats as well, but to me also consider cohesion which is one of the Willshaper's surges. It turns anything hard into soft and claylike to be shaped. The Rosharan landmass is "water" in shadesmar which Willshapers would be able to manipulate like water. Again, all very loose evidence, but that is where my money is going. 

As to Dalinar helping revive Maya, that is a theory I believe could happen. Though in my version it would be predicated on the stronger connection Adolin has with his blade providing a guild for Dalinar providing an infusion of investiture to heal Maya. Fingers crossed we are right! lol

4 hours ago, CrazyRioter said:

I kind of suspect that Oathbringer is an honorspren, given that reaction to keeping oaths and protecting the bridgemen. Which would make that scenario even more interesting.

This would be awesome. What if Oathbringer is one of Syl's brothers or sisters? How would that even work? Seeing the Blackthorn as a fully fledged radiant with a new blade and plate would be incredible. 

23 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

I have a theory with nothing concrete to back it up that Oathbringer is a Willshaper spren. All the imagery on the blade looks to me water themed. It has a "fish hook" hook on it. It has serrations that resemble waves. The reachers were sailors in the cognitive realm. Now true we do see honorspren manning boats as well, but to me also consider cohesion which is one of the Willshaper's surges. It turns anything hard into soft and claylike to be shaped. The Rosharan landmass is "water" in shadesmar which Willshapers would be able to manipulate like water. Again, all very loose evidence, but that is where my money is going. 

As to Dalinar helping revive Maya, that is a theory I believe could happen. Though in my version it would be predicated on the stronger connection Adolin has with his blade providing a guild for Dalinar providing an infusion of investiture to heal Maya. Fingers crossed we are right! lol

I'm basing my guess on the particular incident we know it reacted to (giving it up to protect the bridgemen).

2 minutes ago, CrazyRioter said:

I was responding to the speculation about it having been a Reacher.

Ok, and that scene could just as easily be seen as Dalinar being resolute and building relationships with Kaladin and his men. My speculation was just my own two cents on what I think the blade is. Wasn't saying you couldn't think the blade was an honorblade. That is why I was confused by your response. You don't need to defend your theory to me. I wasn't replying to you. 

2 hours ago, CrazyRioter said:

Ah, I did interpet that as a response to my post and I thought you wanted to discuss it. Thanks for clarifying.

No worries. Frankly we have so little to go by, anything presented would be pure conjecture, so I was just throwing out what popped in my head regarding WindsAlight question. I wish you luck with your theory!

edit: @CrazyRioter I re-read my earlier post and I realize now where the misundersanding probably came in. Potentially because I mentioned that honorspren were also seen as sailors. In all honestly that was just a coincidence. When I came up with my theory regarding oathbringer and thought to myself about how the reachers were sailors, I recalled that the honorspren were too, so when I typed my theory, for completeness sake I mentioned them as well. It was not connected to your statement regarding you believing oathbringer was an honorspren. Sorry for the confusion!

Edited by Pathfinder

Would two orders with a shared surge have somewhat more similar oaths? I know that this wouldn’t work at all for something like Truthwatcher vs Lightweaver, as they are basically opposites, but could it work for something like Windrunner vs Skybreaker? Despite their differences, their oaths are kinda similar.

Edited by Lunamor