Those glowing giants no one seems to be talking about

BrightnessSamantha

7 hours ago, BrightnessSamantha said:

In both instances we've quoted above they always refer to them as figures and never question it might be a huge spren....

But per WoB (see the first one I quoted above) we can assume it is a spren. Sometimes WoBs are vague or even misleading if interpreted too enthusiastically (happened to me more than once). But I think his answer was quite straight forward on this account. 

19 hours ago, Invocation said:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Equinox is right, those are just the painspren. You can see the corrupted shamespren in the lower right corner, too.

I've always thought the stormstriders are a manifestation of the Sibling, along with Cusicesh possibly.

Well, painspren do not appear to be a mesh of multiple hands (and they are red right?) so maybe this picture is more about the 'corruption' and not the type of spren? Personally, I was always troubled by the fact that they are exactly 9 hands in that picture.

I highly doubt they are as unimportant as 'a more powerful version of windspren' otherwise Sanderson wouldn't be so cryptic about them (both in WoBs and in-book).

2 hours ago, earthexile said:

Another thing to consider is that the Highstorm is connected to the other Realms. If the creatures are spren, maybe we are seeing their full-sized expression as they would appear on the Cognitive Realm.

Yes, that's a good point. Maybe we'll learn more about them if we finally see what's happening in Shadesmar during a highstorm.

30 minutes ago, insert_anagram_here said:

Well, painspren do not appear to be a mesh of multiple hands (and they are red right?) so maybe this picture is more about the 'corruption' and not the type of spren? Personally, I was always troubled by the fact that they are exactly 9 hands in that picture.

From OB, ch. 62, right after Shallan stabbed herself with the scissors: 

There! That had done it. Painspren appeared around her, as if crawling out of the ground—like little disembodied hands. They looked skinless, made of sinew. Normally they were bright orange, but these were a sickly green. And they were also wrong … instead of human hands, these seemed to be from some kind of monster—too distorted, with claws jutting from the sinew.

Sounds just like in the picture. If you draw many of they might crawl over each other.. But interesting catch that there are exactly nine hands! I've never counted them :)

Btw. Do we know what the swirling stuff in the lower left corner is?

And haven't we seen Shadesmar during a Highstorm? I can't remember correctly, but I think it was on one of the ships. The spren seemed to draw energy from the storm. Something like that...

On 1/25/2019 at 10:56 AM, Scion of the Mists said:

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

There are names in various parts of the lore, but there is no one name.

OrangeJedi [PENDING REVIEW]

Could you give us one of them?

No.

These WoB contradict themselves a bit...

On 1/25/2019 at 9:41 AM, equinox said:

GreenRover [PENDING REVIEW]

During the storm that Kaladin was in with Shallan in book 2; those two massive walkers we saw--are those Parshendi, Unmade, or spren?

Spren, with the caveat that might not mean they aren't Unmade, because that's not an either-or.

My first thought was it was a manifestation of the storm father.

I pictured him going for a leisurely stroll with Cultivation!:P 

On 1/26/2019 at 1:06 PM, Invocation said:

I've always thought the stormstriders are a manifestation of the Sibling, along with Cusicesh possibly.

Well, whatever they may be, stormstriders are a pretty cool name and I think we might all be surprised in the end!

On 1/26/2019 at 8:00 PM, StrikerEZ said:

I don’t think the spren through the boulder, I think that was just the storm itself, and Dalinar assumed it was the weird spren.

If the wind was strong to throw a boulder, wouldn’t all the mountains and basically everything else have eroded over just the 4,000 years we’ve seen? If I’m missing something please tell me, this has been bugging for a while now. 

1 minute ago, supersmith said:

If the wind was strong to throw a boulder, wouldn’t all the mountains and basically everything else have eroded over just the 4,000 years we’ve seen? If I’m missing something please tell me, this has been bugging for a while now. 

The initial stormwalls of the highstorms throw boulders, but the further away from the leading stormwall and further to the other edge of the continent you get the less it does stuff like that.

2 hours ago, supersmith said:

What @Invocation said. And you have to count in crem as well. Roshar is eroding and moving. It's a "magical natural" phenomenon as Roshar was built by Adonalsium using mathematics:

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 10:56 AM, Scion of the Mists said:

In several instances of the highstorms, several characters mention seeing large creatures walking in the highstorms; they don't seem to be super fazed by this. Do they know these creatures exist, is it part of their lore?

Yes. But you've got to also remember that people who are out in highstorms, they expect it to be... they expect to see odd things. When you're out in a highstorm, it does not phase you in the same way that if you go to a horror movie, you expect something horrific to happen.

Do they have a name for said creatures?

There are names in various parts of the lore, but there is no one name.

Could you give us one of them?

No.

well brandon that was SAVAGE lmao

Like other people have said, we've talked about them, but don't know enough to say much.

After WoR came out, I had thought they were unmade heading to Narak, but seeing the unmade on-screen in Oathbringer seems to indicate that's not not the case.  The descriptions just don't line up.

On 1/27/2019 at 9:51 PM, Invocation said:

The initial stormwalls of the highstorms throw boulders, but the further away from the leading stormwall and further to the other edge of the continent you get the less it does stuff like that.

This is an interesting point because with the Dalinar flashback we know the initial storm wall had already passed when he went out into the storm.  This leads me to believe that the giant glowing figure is the one who threw the boulder at him.

On 1/27/2019 at 9:49 PM, supersmith said:
  On 1/26/2019 at 9:00 PM, StrikerEZ said:

I don’t think the spren through the boulder, I think that was just the storm itself, and Dalinar assumed it was the weird spren

2 hours ago, BrightnessSamantha said:

This is an interesting point because with the Dalinar flashback we know the initial storm wall had already passed when he went out into the storm.  This leads me to believe that the giant glowing figure is the one who threw the boulder at him.

On 1/27/2019 at 9:49 PM, supersmith said:

The stormwall had passed, true, but it hadn't been gone for long. Plus, it is very possible the wind inside a highstorm is enough to chuck the occasional boulder like that across a more plains-like area, such as the area that scene takes place in. Plains can whip up some nasty storms even on earth, much less a mega-storm environment where the majority of the flora and fauna have adapted to avoid something like that suggesting that the storm remains extremely strong in areas that aren't on the far coast, even enough to toss a boulder.

1 hour ago, BrightnessSamantha said:

@Invocation I'm still not convinced that it was the storm and not the spren/non spren.  Since Dalinar gave it a rude gesture it makes me think he saw the thing throw the boulder.

Perhaps it was both. For all we know, they might be extremely strong windspren. That, or Dalinar was just looking for something to blame. 

The world may never know.

Started re-reading WoK and I found two things that might be relevant to this thread.

The slaves would groan in terror at this, thinking about the Stormfather, the shades of the Lost Radiants, or the Voidbringers—all of which were said to haunt the most violent highstorms.

Maybe this bit indicates that there is a legend about the stormstriders calling them 'the shades of the Lost Radiants'?

Shallan raised the end of her brushpen to her lips as she considered her next step. The creationspren slowly faded away, vanishing. There were said to be logicspren—in the form of tiny stormclouds—who were attracted to great arguments, but Shallan had never seen them.

I think someone asked what the clouds looking spren on Sja-anat's page are. I think they are supposed to be logicspren.

Edited by insert_anagram_here

7 hours ago, insert_anagram_here said:

Maybe this bit indicates that there is a legend about the stormstriders calling them 'the shades of the Lost Radiants'?

Could be, could be. Everyone was quite wary of anything to do with the Radiants and having their ghosts wandering the storm forever seems like the kind of kooky stuff the Rosharans would come up with.

Well noticed!

Edited by Invocation

• Chaos locked this topic