Biggest spoilers

Xavier Iriarte

Today i finished reading warbreaker, and as such i have finally read all of the published cosmere books. That means i can no longer be spoiled!

To celebrate, i want to start a thread of the biggest spoilers amongst the published cosmere books. Which one is the best/most unexpected/saddest/most exciting/etc.

Needless to say if you have not read all of the cosmere books run while you can.

Actual Conversation in college:

Sitting down to watch Cowboy Bebop with friends:

Friend that's new to anime:  "This is really cool, Ive never seen it before."

Proper Friend: "Oh, this is your first time?  Awesome! Glad you said something, so we dont say anything to spoil the ending."

Idiot "Friend":  "Oh, you mean that [Redacted]?" 

Me: "..."

New Friend: "..."

Four other people: "..."

All of us in near unison:  "You. cremhole. That's exactly what we DIDNT WANT ANYONE TO SAY!" 

I just got my dad into Cosmere books. He gets to Oathbringer, and I regularly ask him what's happening in the book. I ask him 2 days ago and he says "It was going a little slow, so I skipped to like the last 10 chapters". Fury beyond fury perfectly describes my emotions. I ask "Dad! How far were you in the book?" His reply, "Like 600 pages in. I only skipped like 300 pages" (He may have said 300 or he may have said 600. I can't remember now.). I'm steaming mad. I actually gave him the silent treatment for the rest of the day. I cool off, start talking to him about it and say 

Spoiler

"Wasn't it crazy how Elhokar-"

My dad says "Stop, I haven't read that part. I'm going back to read it." This is my chance for payback...

Spoiler

Me: Was about to become a Knight-

Dad: Shut up.

Me:-radiant!

Dad:Shut UP!

Me: But then MOASH-

Dad; *Covers my mouth*

Me: *Escapes grip* "-had to go and-

Dad: STOP STOP STOP STOP

ME: -AND KILL HIM

Dad: *is crying*

So yeah. That's my worst experience with spoilers.

Edited by JekyllLantern97

Well, I have a bad habit of looking at fanart before I finish books so I was like, "Ha, ha, why is Marsh an Inquisi... Oh no." And also, I know that big things happen at the end of parts in Mistborn books and you can kinda see the little black strip that marks the beginning of a part on my copy, so while I was reading TFE, I flipped ahead and I saw one of the last lines of part 4: "He paused, looking at Kelsier, assuring himself that the crewleader was dead." I kinda set the book down gingerly and thought about it, but I shrugged it off 'cause I was like, "There's no way he's really dead. He'll just come back." And I really believed it. Still, it hurt when he died. I started to cry because it was so unexpected and I read on because I figured in the next ten pages or so, he'd pop out of nowhere like, "HI GUYS! I was kidding! I'm not really dead!" But then I read the letter and I just started to sob because he was really gone and he was amazing enough to have planned for it all. My dad didn't let me read SH until after BoM. Fortunately (I think), I realized about halfway through BoM that Arcanum Unbounded (which my dad got for Christmas a few years before I got hooked on the cosmere) was a book of short stories. You have no idea how crafty I felt when I realized that SH was inside. I picked it up and read the first chapter and literally started to cry with joy.

Wow. That turned into a life story. Anyway, my dad took a picture of me when I read the first chapter. You can only kinda tell that I'm crying, but I'm so happy it doesn't matter. 

Happiest Girl In The World.JPG

Oh! The joy you are feeling seems to drop out of the photo :rolleyes:! I never cared much for Kelsier in TFE, but he grew on me in SH. So I'm happy he is still around. 

If somebody had told me that Moash is going to kill Elhokar in OB, I wouldn't have been mad for being spoilered. I would never have believed them if they said that I am going to cry for Elhokar before reading OB.

I would have hated being told about the Lord Ruler. It took me a while to figure out what's going on, but it was so cool finding out.. The epigraphs.. It was my first Cosmere book and I went in clueless.

8 hours ago, equinox said:

Oh! The joy you are feeling seems to drop out of the photo :rolleyes:! I never cared much for Kelsier in TFE, but he grew on me in SH. So I'm happy he is still around. 

If somebody had told me that Moash is going to kill Elhokar in OB, I wouldn't have been mad for being spoilered. I would never have believed them if they said that I am going to cry for Elhokar before reading OB.

A lot of my friends don't like Kell all that much either, so I force them to read SH. I think it portrays him in a light that shows him for what he really is. 

Oh my Shards, yes. I read that part at my Grandparent's house last summer. I was just reading peacefully on the couch and then all of a sudden, "NOOOO!" My aunt, my mom, and my dad all love the cosmere, but I was the first one to read it. I had to be silent about it for months and that was extremely hard. 

Funny story, yesterday I was on the bus with two of my friends. One of them was about halfway through WoA, and she and I talk a lot, so she already knows plenty of what happens but there are still little secrets for her to find out. The other one was almost done with WoA, but we don't talk a lot, so we were discussing stuff while we had time. Specifically hemalurgy. Anyway, all of a sudden, my other friend says, "Then why aren't earrings hemalurgic?" Trouble is, I can't hear her very well and all I know is that she might be spoiling something, so I literally slapped her. I actually felt really bad, even though I didn't slap her hard, but we laughed about it and now she knows. But the other friend doesn't so it's a success!

On 1/24/2019 at 3:30 PM, Quantus said:

Actual Conversation in college:

Sitting down to watch Cowboy Bebop with friends:

Friend that's new to anime:  "This is really cool, Ive never seen it before."

Proper Friend: "Oh, this is your first time?  Awesome! Glad you said something, so we dont say anything to spoil the ending."

Idiot "Friend":  "Oh, you mean that [Redacted]?" 

Me: "..."

New Friend: "..."

Four other people: "..."

All of us in near unison:  "You. cremhole. That's exactly what we DIDNT WANT ANYONE TO SAY!" 

What is it with college and Bebop stories!?

Me (playing Halo with a guy who lived in my dorm who was majoring in Japenese): So I heard you really love Anime?

Guy: Oh God yes!  [details his huge collection and all the shows he loves and offers to let me borrow anything]

Me: I've only seen like 3 anime total, but they were pretty cool.  What is your favorite?

Guy: Cowboy Bebop!

Me: Oh!  That's one I've actually seen, that show was amazing!  It was emotionally impactful how the whole series built towards [ending spoilers]

Guy: WHAT!?

15 minutes ago, Subvisual Haze said:

What is it with college and Bebop stories!?

Me (playing Halo with a guy who lived in my dorm who was majoring in Japenese): So I heard you really love Anime?

Guy: Oh God yes!  [details his huge collection and all the shows he loves and offers to let me borrow anything]

Me: I've only seen like 3 anime total, but they were pretty cool.  What is your favorite?

Guy: Cowboy Bebop!

Me: Oh!  That's one I've actually seen, that show was amazing!  It was emotionally impactful how the whole series built towards [ending spoilers]

Guy: WHAT!?

Haha, nice!  My older brother introduced me to it, but he'd only seen the VHS box set his roommate had, and so was entirely unaware of the back half of the series.  I recorded the final episodes for him when Toonami ran a marathon and blew his mind.  Then bought him the movie for christmas

• Chaos locked this topic