What did the Knights Radiant do between Aharietiam and the Recreance?

Luinedhel

Ok, there's been something bothering me for some time. The supposed job of the Radiants was to stay vigilant for coming desolations. It's safe to assume that they heard the preach of the Heralds saying that they had finally won at Aharietiam, as the whole world was built around that fact, even religions arising from that (Vorinism). So, if they believed them, why didn't they abandon their shards immediately? Given that they thought there wasn't going to be another desolation, rendering the whole order of knights useless.

Now, let's think of the opposite case. Let's assume they knew they hadn't won (Which I don't think was the case, cause the realisation of what the Heralds did is sure one of the reasons for the Recreance). That would mean there was a 2500 year gap between the Last Desolation and the False Desolation, in which hundreds of generations of Radiants spent their whole lives being idle. What jobs did they dedicate to? How did they even remember what the voidbringers were llke? Can it be the case that this much time without a real goal was the cause of all the squabbling between orders?

Thoughts about this...

• Luinedhel changed the title to What did the Knights Radiant do between Aharietiam and the Recreance?
1 hour ago, Luinedhel said:

(Which I don't think was the case, cause the realisation of what the Heralds did is sure one of the reasons for the Recreance).

The Radiants knew that the Heralds lied because Honor told them each generation. The issue with the last generation was that Honor didn't support them like he did with the other generations, raving instead about how they would destroy everything like they did Ashyn. 

Most of the time they weren't defeating Desolations was spent doing stuff related to their order: Willshapers exploring stuff, for example. They were helping to set up Roshar for the eventual return of the Desolations by propelling the technology to the highest it could be before the inevitable happened. The idle time for the Skybreakers and Windunners probably did end up leading to some of the divisions between them, though.

Maybe I'm missing something but my understanding was that they would have spent that time:

1. Fighting the Unmade who don't seem to be sent back to Braize like the fused. In one of Dalinar's visions they fight the midnight essence between desolations. So, during this period that was basically a long in-between period they fought the unmade just like before. So, in my mind this would be the period when they trapped ReShephir (spelling?) in the tower, and possibly other unmade were similarly trapped or defeated.

2. Fighting the leftovers of the parshendi and the men who followed Odium, we know for sure that some of the parshendi/listeners did survive and others were enslaved, perhaps it was partially the realization that the parshendi were people and didn't deserve to be fought/hunted that (combined with the realization that they were the original inhabitants of Roshar) made the knights abandon their oaths.

• Chaos locked this topic