Eye color on Roshar

Shallan&Pattern

Question

11 answers to this question

I've got hazel eyes too and I'm quite certain I'd be considered a darkeyes. However, it really depends on whether yours tend to look more dark or more light, and how light.

Questioner

Do you consider yourself a lighteyes or a darkeyes?

Brandon Sanderson

I am darkeyed… These hazel eyes don't get quite light enough, they wouldn't count me.

source

12 hours ago, Aluminum Misting said:

As far as I can tell, there are each eye color can be both light and dark. There are darkeyes with green eyes as well as lighteyes with green eyes. 

Not to call you out, But personally I have never seen any dark blue eyes. They tend to be on the lighter side. But as a blue colored lighteyes that my just be my natural prejeduce against you dark eye scum.:P

19 minutes ago, Lightblood said:

Not to call you out, But personally I have never seen any dark blue eyes. They tend to be on the lighter side. But as a blue colored lighteyes that my just be my natural prejeduce against you dark eye scum.:P

On Roshar, the light/dark eye thing isn't entirely natural. Darkeyes are unusually dark, and lighteyes are unusually light.

That being said, there are real people with really dark blue eyes

article-2653300-19493568000005DC-866_306

large.jpg

On 1/17/2019 at 10:27 AM, Lightblood said:

Just some science; people with blue eyes actually have no pigment in their eyes. It's the way the irises reflect the light that makes them appear blue. If the Alethi understood this science, who knows how they would classify those with blue eyes.

3 minutes ago, Jruesch2 said:

Just some science; people with blue eyes actually have no pigment in their eyes. It's the way the irises reflect the light that makes them appear blue. If the Alethi understood this science, who knows how they would classify those with blue eyes.

On Roshar, the lighteyes actually have unusually light eyes--to a degree that isn't usually seen in our world. Darkeyes ditto, on the other end of the spectrum. It's due to an alteration in the spiritweb from Radiant/Shardbearer ancestry. So I would imagine the pigmentation is actually pretty funky in regards to lighteye/darkeye colors.