Would preservation shatter a shard?

beantheboy12

Depends on who's holding Preservation, I suppose. Leras would not, because he was focused on immediate preservation of things and struggled to allow things to actually happen, to the point where it is stated that if he was left alone, he would freeze everything exactly as it. It is also possible that no Preservation could do something like that, because of the raw destructive ability of Ruin is not present.

100th post!!!

I don’t think that Preservation is capable of doing so. If I remember correctly, Leras, the original vessel of Preservation, wanted to destroy Ruin to prevent him from destroying humanity on Scadrial, but the nature of Preservation prevented him from doing that, so he imprisoned him instead. However, that may just be because he was holding Preservation’s power for so long and his mind was warped by it, like how Ati was warped by Ruin.

Edited by Lunamor

When it comes to attacking or harming, it depend on how long they have had Preservation - Vin could kill Ati because she recently took up the shard, though she didn't know she could shatter it. Also, I think that the only other shard with a similar mentality to Ruin is Cultivation, who would knock one thing down to build two things up. Preservation would be equally happy - the shard, if not the person - with an empty unchanging void. Leras wanted to make life, but Preservation as a shard probably isn't that interested - humans by nature grow, expand, which is not stable.

Another issue with this is that Preservation couldn't "make life", any more than Ruin could. Was this because of how long they had the power, or is this something the shards can't do, that only specific shards can do certain things. Kelsier, when he had Preservation, couldn't talk to people because Preservation closes gaps, but only to people he was strongly connected to.

... So, to answer the question, I don't think Preservation actually can splinter something, though it can isolate parts of it.

On 1/14/2019 at 1:32 PM, Invocation said:

Depends on who's holding Preservation, I suppose. Leras would not, because he was focused on immediate preservation of things and struggled to allow things to actually happen, to the point where it is stated that if he was left alone, he would freeze everything exactly as it. It is also possible that no Preservation could do something like that, because of the raw destructive ability of Ruin is not present.

Yeah i think it really depends on the Preservation. Sazed as Ruin is very much different from Ati's Ruin (tho i did not miss that he is also preservation and he is still too early in holding Ruin but like Sanderson said Sazed's Ruin won't necessarily turn out the same as Ati's)

• Chaos locked this topic