6 hours ago, Archer said:

I hate pinging people. And necroing threads. But I'm about to do both, because I would like to finish off the fight @Kidpen and I started. Kidpen, could you please post something lethal so Mace can die? If you're too busy, or I don't hear back from you, I can just gloss over your role and have him fall on Detran's sword, but I'd rather not have to do that. Thanks in advance. 

That I can. Very sorry. This is why I'm going to try very hard not to get involved in anything that will fall apart if I'm terrible in the future. And don't hesitate to do this in the future, 

Detran fell to the ground, the air being pushed out of his veins. Barely able to move, he nonetheless managed to keep hold of his sword. Just before passing out, he managed to worm it into Mace's gut. Feeling the pressure around him loosen, he pushed hard, and managed to get the arms off him completely. Climbing to his feet, and seeing Mace doubling over in pain, he raised his sword and swung down onto his neck, beheading him. Glad that's done.

Looking up, he noticed a change had happened near the barrier. A being was standing outside it. Was this the almighty Voidus? If it was, then something had gone wrong. Voidus was supposed to be released along with the Guardian, he wasn't supposed to get out on his own. It was probably a good idea to leave and regroup, lest he risk Voidus's wrath.. Although it's likely that neither the Liebrarians or the Ghostbloods will take me back...

Seems like I need to find someone new.

I didn't check with Lopen before using the other character in this post, so to avoid accusations of godmoding, I'll propose the alternate explanation that the local Shard decided to manifest itself in the form of the Discworldian Death to see Mace off, but leave it ambiguous as to who actually appeared. 

Before he died, Mace's last thoughts were of his family. As his lungs convulsed, his nephew's face came to mind. It was happy memory, from a time between wars. A time when everything seemed possible. 

Back when I had hair, came a random observation from his subconscious. Also, owwwwww. 

The pain was unbearable. He tried to heal, but something was wrong. His goldminds wouldn't compound. He tried to flare his metals, any and all of them, but it was like they had disappeared. He couldn't sense them. All he could feel was a painful bulge in his stomach. 

His nephew's face was replaced in his mind's eye. In its place, a grinning skull appeared. It was nestled in the hood of a dark cloak that Mace vaguely recognized. 

Suddenly, the skeleton spoke. Its voice was deep and ancient. Mace immediately remembered where he'd last heard it, nearly two decades ago. 

YOU COULD USE YOUR FERUCHEMICAL ABILITIES. YOU STILL HAVE THOSE.

Dang you, Mace thought at it. Dang you to-

HELLO, the skeleton interrupted. IT APPEARS THAT YOUR ATTACKER IS NOT FINISHED. 

With brutal efficiency, Detran brought his sword down upon Mace's neck. In his last second of life, Mace managed to eek out a single word. It was a whisper, likely imperceptible to all but its intended recipient. It was the universal cry of a defeated man. 

"Why?"

MACE KLASTEN, YOU OF ALL PEOPLE SHOULD KNOW...

Mace's body fell to the ground, dead. Concerningly, he could still hear the other man speaking. 

...WHEN YOU DO A DEAL WITH DEATH, THERE'S ALWAYS A CATCH. 

Mace looked at his corpse and winced. An impossible amount of blood was seeping out, soaking into the ground around him. It was morbidly captivating. Finally, he looked back to meet the gaze of the skeletal creature beside him. 

TIME TO GO, it said coldly.

And for once, Mace didn't try to fight the inevitable. Instead, he lifted his head, straightened his back, and embraced the Beyond with acceptance. 

It was finally the end for him. 

Edited by Archer