Whats the Deal with the Ire?

Quantus

Question

13 answers to this question

@Wandering Investor interestingly, some of them are not pre reod! New WoB:

Khyrindor [PENDING REVIEW]

The lighthouse guy was Ire? In Oathbringer?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Yes.

And he was the same Elantrian that they put in the Shardpool at the end of--

Yes, he is the same person.

And was he Ire before...

He was not before then.

So it seems they are Elantrians that survive going through the shardpool. How they accomplish that with the state of Sel's CR..... Who knows?

In SH they were trying to take a shard, so perhaps that's their plan? I don't think the were going after Preservation in particular... I'm sure if they could find another dead shard that wasn't splintered they would attempt to seize that one as well.

Edited by Steel Inqusitive

My vaguely defined theory is that they've already taken a shard or a large chunk of one, which is both why they are familiar with (or close to?) Threnody and also how they knew enough to have such a well-prepared plan for capturing a shard whole. 

Let's just list our observations to start:

They had a permanent fortified outpost with a relatively small garrison on the outskirts of Scadrial. They were prepared and actively planning to steal the Shard of Preservation should the opportunity arise but they didn't commit that many resources to doing so, assuming their number of members is meaningfully larger than the half dozen or so people we've seen, which might be a big "if."

Stealing a Shard is a big freaking deal, unless you literally don't care which one you get, and you're just waiting for one to die, which over the last 3 millennia in the Cosmere, is really just a short matter of time for anyone with immortality.

I posit then that the Ire have outposts on the outskirts of most or all shard worlds, fueled by conduits to the Dor, and are attempting to position themselves to steal Shards as Odium and/or Autonomy attack them. They don't care which they get or in what order, so I have to assume they intend to do something that isn't influenced by Intent. The first thing that immediately pops into mind is recombination of the Shards; save for Autonomy, I don't think any of the Intents we have seen preclude recombination if the bearer(s) were so inclined. The second is the destruction of the other Shard bearers; Odium and Autonomy are super dangerous to everyone, and when they run out of peers to murder, it's reasonable to assume they won't just stop and be happy, so a proactive strategy to garner and consolidate resources against them is quite prudent in my opinion, as they are too powerful to face head on for most groups/forces.

Enjoy and discuss!

On 11/16/2018 at 1:10 PM, Quantus said:

My vaguely defined theory is that they've already taken a shard or a large chunk of one, which is both why they are familiar with (or close to?) Threnody and also how they knew enough to have such a well-prepared plan for capturing a shard whole. 

I'm going to jump off of this (thank you @Quantus for the springboard): what if the Ire is Threnody's Evil? Like the cause of the Evil happening was them picking up such a large portion of Ambition's Investiture (that's who's on Threnody, right?) upset some form of balance or set off a defense of some kind from the Investiture there resisting the native Elantrian Investiture? 

Edited by Invocation

7 hours ago, Invocation said:

I'm going to jump off of this (thank you @Quantus for the springboard): what if the Ire is Threnody's Evil? Like the cause of the Evil happening was them picking up such a large portion of Autonomy's Investiture (that's who's on Threnody, right?) upset some form of balance or set off a defense of some kind from the Investiture there resisting the native Elantrian Investiture? 

Ambition.  It's the system Odium first found and battled her, though the coppermind is saying she then escaped and was finished off elsewhere. There are four planets and one moon, all of which are named after songs of mourning/funerals.

As to the Ire being the Evil, I dont get that sense but I dont think I can disprove it.  It seemed that they were trying to guard and contain things coming from the larger continent that the Evil is supposed to live on. 

6 hours ago, Quantus said:

Ambition.  It's the system Odium first found and battled her, though the coppermind is saying she then escaped and was finished off elsewhere. There are four planets and one moon, all of which are named after songs of mourning/funerals.

My bad, I knew it started with an A but messed it up. 

6 hours ago, Quantus said:

As to the Ire being the Evil, I dont get that sense but I dont think I can disprove it.  It seemed that they were trying to guard and contain things coming from the larger continent that the Evil is supposed to live on. 

That is also fair.

Huh, that's weird. I usually don't check the WoB, as I prefer to RAFO, and when he clarifies nothing he is giving an info that's not really on the books. I dunno why but I feel like it's a little bit like cheating. (THen I come here and discuss everything and learn it anyway, but we humans are so weird anyway...)

At first when I learned about the Ire I thought that they were from a distant future in regards to Elantris. I remember that Elantris is set waaaaaaay before Mistborn, so my conclusion was that these Elantrians were post-Raod, not "pre". Even if they looked old and ancient... Because (in my mind at least) wouldn't they have fixed Elantris city if they were around at the time? Wouldn't their powers be broken as much as anyone else's?

Again, I guess there is WoB confirmind that they are from before and that's why everyones agrees on it, it just goes against my first conclusion on the subject.