Is Blushweaver a Herald?

Sorry, mate, but it's pretty much confirmed that the missing statues and faces in paintings are the work of Shallash, almost certainly Baxil from the Interlude's mistress. She is - or was - the herald of beauty, but is being twisted into a corrupted version of that: Instead of creating great art, she destroys it, usually images of herself.

Blushweaver was a character fairly self-contained within Warbreaker, as far as I can tell. Beyond that, all major plot points in Stormlight will probably be contained within Roshar and associated worlds. Nightblood is the exception, but, as far we know, the particular nature of magic on Roshar basically makes Nightblood into a Shardblade, with qualities somewhere between a Radiant's Blade and an Honorblade. He'll be explained as such.

Besides, with the history of all the Heralds extending back into prehistory, I think Blushweaver would have shown some signs of that instead of the naivete she had in Warbreaker.

Welcome to the forums, and sorry to debunk your first theory!

Congrats on your first post!

I'm not generally a fan of the idea that Heralds are all worldhoppers, so I'll point out an inconsistency with this one in particular, regarding timeline.

• Warbreaker is set between 1 and 341 years before Stormlight Archive. Heralds have been seen a minimum of 4500 years prior, and maybe tens of thousands of years prior.
  • Returned only started showing up a couple hundred years prior to Warbreaker.

Thus, it's pretty much impossible for Blushweaver to be a Herald. Indeed, almost any character from almost any book we've read is impossible or highly unlikely for the same reason. Heralds are just too darned old.

You may be interested to note that the Herald of Beauty Shalash is seen onscreen and is known to be Baxil's mistress. She is running around destroying all statues of herself for unknown reasons.

Edit: Ninja'd by a fish! Curses.

Edited by Tempus

• Warbreaker is set between 1 and 341 years before Stormlight Archive. Heralds have been seen a minimum of 4500 years prior, and maybe tens of thousands of years prior.

Why exactly 341? Also, you've got the lower number wrong, as (WoR)

Vasher has been on Roshar for twelve years by Words of Radiance.<source>

Edited by Aether

I missed that WoB. 341 is the time between the last Mistborn book, and the Stormlight Archive. Warbreaker is known to occur in that period at an unknown time.

And how do we know that exactly 341 years have passed between the Heroe of Ages and the Way of Kings?

If I recall correctly, Alloy of Law is placed exactly 341 Scadrian years after HoA, and Stormlight Archive is confirmed by WoB to be happening simultaneously with Alloy of Law (though they were originally supposed to be a little apart).

(...) Stormlight Archive is confirmed by WoB to be happening simultaneously with Alloy of Law (though they were originally supposed to be a little apart).

Oh, right. I wasn't aware of that update. So when Hoid left in the Way of Kings, he was only really going to a wedding instead of doing important, Cosmere-wide stuff?

EDIT: Or maybe the wedding was important, Cosmere-wide stuff? Dum, dum, DUAAAAAAAM!

Edited by Aether

Sorry Swimmingly! I'm trying to figure this site out. Didn't mean to do that nasty little "-1" thing. THANK YOU! You people are all brilliant. 17th Shard is an awesome community.

Astral hugs for all,

Gavyn Collier

Oh, we all do accidental down-votes every now and then. Funny enough, it usually results in a net gain in reputation points as people flock to rectify it.

Also, welcome to the site, Gavyn! And I'll send an astral hug your way as well. ;)

Why exactly 341? Also, you've got the lower number wrong, as (WoR)

Vasher has been on Roshar for twelve years by Words of Radiance.<source>

Correction here. 

Vasher has been in WoK for 12 years our time.  He's been on Roshar for much longer.

Q:  When you were planning Zahel being Vasher, how long did you do that?

A:  Vasher was in the 2002 version of WoK by name.  I only changed him to the new name after I finished this entire draft.  Because I was like, oh he'd probably go under a pseudonym.  So he's been in Roshar 12 years our time.

Q:  How long has Zahel been slumming it on Roshar?

A:  For quite a long time, on this planet he can get something quite easily that is much harder to get where he came from.

Also, while it's highly highly likely that Shalash (one L) is Baxil's mistress, we don't have actual confirmation.

Also, while it's highly highly likely that Shalash (one L) is Baxil's mistress, we don't have actual confirmation.

True, though that is pretty much an accepted fact. The evidence is so strong that we can fairly well work with it as certain.

Of course. I just didn't want to downplay the degree of likeliness of that's being true. :)

Also, about the time gap, I can never find anything other than the Coppermind that states that there are exactly 341 years between Hero and Alloy, and it is not cited there.

As far as I can tell, Stormlight and Alloy are still a bit apart in the timeline. This WoB seems pretty accurate:

zas678 (Mon Feb 20)

We have conflicting reports on chronology. Is this right, or is this right?

Brandon Sanderson (Mon Feb 20)

The second. I revised my placement of KINGS relative to HERO after realizing a behind-the-scenes conflict.

ALLOY had to happen after KINGS for Cosmere reasons. I had two timelines arguing, and in plotting Stormlight 2, I fixed this.

(source)

There could be a new WoB I haven't seen, of course.

Correction here. 

Vasher has been in WoK for 12 years our time.  He's been on Roshar for much longer.

Brandon usually word his answers better. It is by no means clear that he means that Vasher has been in the books for twelve years and not that he has stayed on Roshar for twelve years.

Brandon usually word his answers better. It is by no means clear that he means that Vasher has been in the books for twelve years and not that he has stayed on Roshar for twelve years.

I don't see how it's unclear?  He has been in WoK for 12 years our time, he has been on Roshar for much longer.  WoK Prime was written in 2002, and he was in that version as "Vasher" instead of Zahel.  It's 2014 now, so that's 12 years.  He's been on Roshar for much longer than 12 years.

I don't see how it's unclear?  He has been in WoK for 12 years our time, he has been on Roshar for much longer.  WoK Prime was written in 2002, and he was in that version as "Vasher" instead of Zahel.  It's 2014 now, so that's 12 years.  He's been on Roshar for much longer than 12 years.

It is unclear because he specifically says that "he's been in Roshar 12 years our time". He should have said that "he has been in the book for twelve years" or something.

I think you're reading too much into that, since the "12 years our time" is pretty definitive.  But here:

Q:  Is Vasher the swordmaster-ardent?
A:  (coy) I have no idea why you would ask that.  Zahel the swordmaster-ardent was in the 2002 WoK by a different name and it blew my assistant's mind when he looked back in the original draft. It was ALL PLANNED

Q:  How long has Zahel been slumming it on Roshar?
A:  For quite a long time, on this planet he can get something quite easily that is much harder to get where he came from.

• 4 years later...

...seriously? This topic was dead for four years. But no, we know for a fact that a Rosharan year is not equivalent to a Scadrian or Nalthian year.

Thread Necromancy.jpg

Oh, and welcome to the Shard.

Edited by Weltall

• Chaos locked this topic