Music

Funny enough, if she watches Dr. Who all day I noticed that once she gets tired she starts talking in Karen's accent perfectly and doesn't even notice it. I believe it because when she's mad an amazing Irish accent comes out and I can't stay mad because I'm giggling too hard. 

Edited by BreathTaker

lately I've been back on my Celtic Punk kick, so it's been nothing but Dropkick Murpheys Flogging Molly, The Rel McKenzies and pretty much everyone in that Genre or even just folk Celtic music. My morning alarm is Scotland the Brave on bagpipes and it doesn't wake me up, my wife punching me in the head to turn it off does (sometimes). I absolutely love Celtic music, I have a decent amount of Scottish blood in me and my wife is half Irish so we have a ball around St. Patrick's day. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Liking the red head love over here!  My husband is a ginger, too, and all my celebrity girl crushes (I can say that as a woman and yet still be heterosexual) are all red heads, too, so I get you guys. ;)

Anyway, do people not listen to ALBUMS anymore?  I'm an album person.  I'm sitting here wracking my brain to chose only one song, and I just can't do it!  Also, there are way too many good artists/bands out there to just pick one.  I'm just going to break the rules of this thread, too (just like the top five fantasy series thread in which I listed 11).

Top Artists/Bands in no particular order with suggested first/second album listen:

Andrew Bird - The Mysterious Production of Eggs or Noble Beast

The Decemberists - The Crane Wife or The Hazards of Love

Radiohead - OK Computer (as mentioned by Grey Pilgrim)

The Beatles - My fav. is probably Revolver, but sometimes that changes from day to day

Mumford & Sons - They only have two.  Go listen to both now.

Muse - The Resistance (though it's so hard to chose just one)

The Strokes - Room on Fire (also a tough one)

Sujfan Stevens - Seven Swans or Illinois

I've also been on a Hepcat kick lately.  

Top 5 albums in my mind right now are

1. Either Drunken Lullabies or Within a Mile of Home- Flogging Molly

2. Westwinds- Real McKenzies

3. DOWN 2: A Bustle in Your Hedgerow- Down

4. Wrath- Lamb of God

5. Vulgar Display of Power- PanterA

(not in any particular order)

Honorable Mentions:

Blessed Hellride- Black Label Society

Follow the Reaper- Children of Bodom

The Mirrors Truth- In Flames

Signed and Sealed in Blood- Dropkick Murpheys

Any Johnny Cash album 

• 2 weeks later...

Liking the red head love over here!  My husband is a ginger, too, and all my celebrity girl crushes (I can say that as a woman and yet still be heterosexual) are all red heads, too, so I get you guys. ;)

Anyway, do people not listen to ALBUMS anymore?  I'm an album person.  I'm sitting here wracking my brain to chose only one song, and I just can't do it!  Also, there are way too many good artists/bands out there to just pick one.  I'm just going to break the rules of this thread, too (just like the top five fantasy series thread in which I listed 11).

Top Artists/Bands in no particular order with suggested first/second album listen:

The Beatles - My fav. is probably Revolver, but sometimes that changes from day to day

Mumford & Sons - They only have two.  Go listen to both now.

Album-wise, I find Within Temptation's The Unforgiving to have a great concept - it tells a story from front to end, with awesome symphonic metal! Favorites on that album are Shot in the Dark, Murder and A Demon's Fate.

Anyway, do people not listen to ALBUMS anymore? I'm an album person. I'm sitting here wracking my brain to chose only one song, and I just can't do it! Also, there are way too many good artists/bands out there to just pick one. I'm just going to break the rules of this thread, too (just like the top five fantasy series thread in which I listed 11).

Mumford & Sons - They only have two. Go listen to both now.

Wow. We have basically the exact same taste in music. And I totally agree about albums. It is sad where the modern music scene has gone.

I'm going to add to the great list above, The Bends, Kid A, and In Rainbows, all by Radiohead. I honestly love all their albums, but those three and OK Computer are their best.

Also The King is Dead by the Decemberists, if you're into folk rock.

And any album by Arcade Fire is pretty darned awesome.

I will add as well Wilco. Another band for whom I love all their albums, I would say Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is a good starting point. (It is their most acclaimed and most popular.) If you don't like that, you may still like their others. Summerteeth is amazing, as is The Whole Love. But seriously, try any of their albums. They are all wonderfully different and all excellent IMHO.

Hmm, I need to give a listen to Within Temptation and Delain, a friend suggested them a while ago since I love Lacuna Coil and Nightwish. In agreement with traceria and GreyPIlgrim on listening to albums. I listen to a mix of things but I definitely favor the progressive rock genre. Some goodies on rotation, not necessarily the best or most recent of the artist:

The Raven That Refused To Sing - Steven Wilson (he is my music equivalent of BS)
Demon - Gazpacho (sometimes I think they write their music as OSTs to fantasy novels)
The Octopus - Amplifer (had to buy immediately after hearing the title track)
The Fallen Host - Blueneck (post-rock?)
In the Absence of Truth - ISIS (post-metal?)
Zwei - Turing Machine (I admit the band name was what got me, but it’s some good math-rock)
Bosnian Rainbows - Bosnian Rainbows (related act to The Mars Volta)
Cloak and Cipher - Land of Talk (current indie obsession)
Lastly, getting stoked for the new Opeth album, “Eternal Rains” on loop as I type this up. :)

I could go on, there’s too much good music out there. Hail to the Thief is my favorite Radiohead album but all mentioned are fantastic. :D

Edited by Reiyeka

I really need to make time to listen to samples of some of the other suggestions above (Reiyeka, I'm so curious about your list!)!  Some I've come across and own (I'm a CD person in addition to sticking to albums.  There's nothing quite like the feeling you get when opening a new CD and reviewing the liner notes!) but others I've not!  It's been awhile since I really made an effort to find new music by artists I was otherwise unfamiliar with!  My husband might not be happy about this after I place an Amazon order, but too bad.  :P   Thank you all for the suggestions!

@GreyPilgrim - Speaking of In Rainbows, "Nude" just started up on my ipod.  :D   I also second Arcade Fire and basically any other Decemberists album out there (maybe with the exception of their first EP, which should probably be reserved for hardcore fans as it's not that wonderful but does let you get a taste of how their sound has evolved since 2001).  Agreed about OK Computer, too. *nods *   I was a little late to the Radiohead bandwagon, only getting into them in 2000, but when my friend told me that Kid A was supposed to be listened to all in one go, I was wowed in a good way.  I'm sure it wasn't just our local stations that made a point to play the whole thing through on air without pause.  I would think Radiohead would have made a point to request stations nation/world-wide to do the same thing.

Hmm, I need to give a listen to Within Temptation and Delain, a friend suggested them a while ago since I love Lacuna Coil and Nightwish. In agreement with traceria and GreyPIlgrim on listening to albums. I listen to a mix of things but I definitely favor the progressive rock genre. Some goodies on rotation, not necessarily the best or most recent of the artist:

The Raven That Refused To Sing - Steven Wilson (he is my music equivalent of BS)

Demon - Gazpacho (sometimes I think they write their music as OSTs to fantasy novels)

The Octopus - Amplifer (had to buy immediately after hearing the title track)

The Fallen Host - Blueneck (post-rock?)

In the Absence of Truth - ISIS (post-metal?)

Zwei - Turing Machine (I admit the band name was what got me, but it’s some good math-rock)

Bosnian Rainbows - Bosnian Rainbows (related act to The Mars Volta)

Cloak and Cipher - Land of Talk (current indie obsession)

Lastly, getting stoked for the new Opeth album, “Eternal Rains” on loop as I type this up. :)

I could go on, there’s too much good music out there. Hail to the Thief is my favorite Radiohead album but all mentioned are fantastic. :D

Yeah, if you're a fan of Lacuna Coil and Nightwish I think you'll like Within Temptation. I suggest starting off with The Silent Force, The Heart of Everything or The UnforgivingMother Earth is somewhat different from how Within Temptation's style is nowadays, and Hydra is catered more towards a mainstream audience, although it's still pretty good. I haven't listened to Nightwish myself - I really should, but the fact that they changed singers is a put-off. Then again, I wasn't interested in Epica and now look who's in my profile picture...

I used to listen to more mainstream artists, but nowadays that's pretty rare. I do enjoy Rixton's Me and My Broken Heart, though. Oh, and I noticed Traceria mentioning Mumford & Sons. I've only listened to one of their songs (Little Lion Man) however, and that's because I first listened to this cover by Within Temptation - they did like, 15 covers of mainstream songs sometime back, and this was one:

I've listened to the original too, but I find the cover more towards my liking. Then again, I'd pretty much listen to anything Sharon den Adel sings  :D

Edited by Ketek

I used to listen to basically nothing but classical, some baroque, and a bit of romantic. Towering over everything, however, was Jupiter, by Holst, because I played it with my friends a few years back and it was amazing. It's one of those things I tend to push on people way more often than I should, but that 2:50! It's just too good not to mention.

But around a couple years ago I heard the piano version of Plain Asia from Imperishable Night, and basically fell in love with it. Now I recommend that as well, with marginally better reception.

Aside from that, I tend to like gaming OSTs a lot, like Braid or Trine.

So yeah, that's my personal mix of musical taste I'm trying to unpersonalize by shoving it all onto this forum. Enjoy.

Edited by Observer

"Little Tyrants" by Anberlin. 

Anberlin is a great recommendation. 

My favorite band is Coheed and Cambria. They write all of their songs based off of the lead singer's published sci-fi/fantasy stories, which are based off of his life (loosely). It makes for some really great lyrics when you understand what is going on, and some outstanding music even if you don't.

• 4 weeks later...