Cosmere Addicts

Shardmancer

So it seems to me.. especially after reading Stormlight achrives that there are addicts all over the cosmere.

Mistborn it is pretty blatant watching Vin, Spook and the rest that using allomancy is addictive.

Now in WOR you can obviously see that stormlight addiction can grow to have a problem.. from Svzeth actively overdoing it. It seems Kaladin with his personality will soon overuse it and all of these KR will soon be addicited.

Do you think thats the fall of the KR was them overusing and addictevly using thier powers till they werent in control? And do you think this addictive theme will be common in Sanderson's other books?

I definitely see Kaladin struggling with it, similarly to how aes sedai/ ashaman struggle with addiction to the one power.

When I saw the name of this topic, I thought you meant all the crazy Sanderfans who spend their lives looking up WoB's.

I thought this thread was going to be about people addicted to the cosmere too! 

Seriously though, yeah, Investiture in general seems to be addicting.  Have a WoB!

Q:   In Mistborn, Allomancy tends to get a little addictive, is that something that's going to happen with Stormlight—holding it just because it feels good?
A:   You are noticing a similarity. That is intentional.

Investiture has a lot of addictive properties. Vin and Spook are great examples. We've seen Kaladin want to hold stormlight just to hold it. Many people in Warbreakers show signs of the beginnings of Breath addiction. Especially with people like Lemex, who is well past beginning stages of addiction. The Hoed also show many heavy addict similar symptoms, the ones struck down immediately after the Reod. The unpublished Mythwalker (available publically on Brandon's site), also show powers with heavily addictive aspects to them.

Power is a heady thing. =D

Being a narcoleptic, I could see myself easily being addicted to Feruchemical bronze.

I would go to sleep at a regular time at night, if I can't fall asleep, I'll start storing wakefulness, not all night, but just enough to be sleepy enough, and fall asleep. And then when I'm having the occasional hypersomnia, tap wakefulness, instead of needing medications. But I'd find myself taping it every morning just to be awake.

And if I was a dual bronze twinborn, I'd never sleep again. Take my metal minds, I'd end up sleeping for days on end.

The act of holding the power (any one of them) is described as mind spanding and the "user" experiences hyper reality. This is very, very similar to what is described on the Wheel of Time series.

Só, thanks to this similarities, I tend to agree with Shadmancer. We will see adiction factor and, probably some burnouts.

You know this is going to stink for kaladin in book three since he's headed home, since hearthstone doesn't have a ton of spheres since it's such a agricultural/backwater place.

I would go to sleep at a regular time at night, if I can't fall asleep, I'll start storing wakefulness, not all night, but just enough to be sleepy enough, and fall asleep. And then when I'm having the occasional hypersomnia, tap wakefulness, instead of needing medications. But I'd find myself taping it every morning just to be awake.

And if I was a dual bronze twinborn, I'd never sleep again. Take my metal minds, I'd end up sleeping for days on end.

This would absolutely be me too. I would actually love to be a bronze ferring, it would make life SO MUCH easier.

You know this is going to stink for kaladin in book three since he's headed home, since hearthstone doesn't have a ton of spheres since it's such a agricultural/backwater place.

I didn't think of it and I hope this doesn't happen. It's likely though, because we know Brandon builds his magic systems based on limitations, and we've already started to see this issue if he'll have enough spheres to even get to Hearthstone. It's  a fantastic power-limiting conflict. which I sort of wish I'd thought of because it's awesome, but I guess I'm just not that smart.

• Chaos locked this topic