Are You A Fan Too?

In my defense, I watch so many British TV shows that I don't notice accents anymore. :P

But yeah, I'm familiar with the Wiggles. They're probably the only reason I know left from right (your left hand makes a letter "L" when you hold it up! Amazing!)

Unfortunately, that particular trick doesn't work when you're all of like 5 years old and you forget which way the L goes....not that, you know, I ever did that or anything.... :rolleyes:

Do you have a favourite Wiggles song?

I may or may not sing "Hot Potato" while cooking sometimes. :P

While I love all the classics of Hot Potato, Wake Up Jeff, Big Red Car, Fruit Salas, Dorothy, I have a special place in my heart for an equally ridiculous song I rediscovered recently: I'm A Cow. MOOOOOOOOO

Edit: Also, Horrible Histories, anyone?

Edited by Delightful

While I love all the classics of Hot Potato, Wake Up Jeff, Big Red Car, Fruit Salas, Dorothy, I have a special place in my heart for an equally ridiculous song I rediscovered recently: I'm A Cow. MOOOOOOOOO

Edit: Also, Horrible Histories, anyone?

I love the fruit salad song. Biggest hit everywhere.

I like the old songs better than the new ones. Anyone agree?

• 2 weeks later...

I am definitely a TFIOS fan. I haven't read The Book Thief but I really, really want to and I have a feeling I'll be a fan of it too.  ;)

The book Theif is amazing too. The book is a little confusing but the movie is amazing.

Read the book first! Aside from obviously the usual read-the-book-first ideology, nothing beats Markus Zusak's wordplay, It's just beautiful beautiful imagery, plus the movie doesn't quite succeed in conveying the narrator properly, which is a main drawcard of the book. :)

A lot of discussion round here focuses on (obviously) Brandon, plus WoT, Malazan, ASoIaF, and a couple other works. I've noticed people discussing whether anyone understands the quotes in their sigs etc., so I thought we should have a topic to see if other people are a fan of stuff you like that doesn't get mentioned much, especially but not exclusively non-SF/F.

I'll start by asking, is anyone else here a fan of The Book Thief or The Fault In Our Stars?

(And just a reminder to spoiler tag any spoilery stuff you want to mention).

Is anyone here a fan of Horrible Histories too?

• 6 months later...

Thread necromancy for the new year!

Anywho, I watched Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog here recently. Has anyone else seen it, enjoyed it, or become convinced that Captain Hammer was an early Epic?

Yes. Yes yes yes yes yes. 

I know it has one of the saddest endings ever. I know it ends with one of the most lovable characters Joss Whedon has created to date dying a horrible death. It still doesn't undermine my love for that series, partly because of the message of good vs. evil not always looking the way we think they do, of looking past appearances, of how stereotypes that favor one group over another do more harm than we think. And I love the characters. Dr. Horrible is the most lovable supervillain I've seen in fiction, and if the ending weren't so integral to the themes, I would write a dozen fixfics where he's contacted by the Avengers.

My theory: Captain Hammer was an Epic sent back by a time-bending Epic to prepare the way for others. They didn't count on him being such an idiot. 

And the music. I have two songs from that series on my iPod and I'm considering buying more. 

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

Yes. Yes yes yes yes yes. 

I know it has one of the saddest endings ever. I know it ends with one of the most lovable characters Joss Whedon has created to date dying a horrible death. It still doesn't undermine my love for that series, partly because of the message of good vs. evil not always looking the way we think they do, of looking past appearances, of how stereotypes that favor one group over another do more harm than we think. And I love the characters. Dr. Horrible is the most lovable supervillain I've seen in fiction, and if the ending weren't so integral to the themes, I would write a dozen fixfics where he's contacted by the Avengers.

My theory: Captain Hammer was an Epic sent back by a time-bending Epic to prepare the way for others. They didn't count on him being such an idiot. 

And the music. I have two songs from that series on my iPod and I'm considering buying more. 

Is it weird that I was already planning on recommending it to you? I knew you were a fan of superhero deconstructions, and Dr. Horrible is one of the most brilliant in the field. :D

"It's curtains for you, Dr. Horrible. Lacey, gently wafting curtains."

It is simultaneously realistic and ridiculous, embracing all the corniest tropes of the superhero genre while still telling a story of woe and heartbreak, neatly woven with human emotions anyone could relate to. Social awkwardness. Ambition. The desire to be accepted. Jealousy. And yet, even as we explore these human issues through our sympathetic protagonist, we're still treated to comedic gems like the Bad Horse ChorusDr. Horrible is Joss Whedon at his best--or his worse, depending on your views towards tragic endings.

And the songs. I could listen to any one of those songs over and over for hours. And I have, thanks to the dual magic of YouTube and headphones. My only warning would be to refrain from singing "Brand New Day" while striding out of a grocery store with a determined look on your face.

Is it weird that I was already planning on recommending it to you? I knew you were a fan of superhero deconstructions, and Dr. Horrible is one of the most brilliant in the field. :D

"It's curtains for you, Dr. Horrible. Lacey, gently wafting curtains."

It is simultaneously realistic and ridiculous, embracing all the corniest tropes of the superhero genre while still telling a story of woe and heartbreak, neatly woven with human emotions anyone could relate to. Social awkwardness. Ambition. The desire to be accepted. Jealousy. And yet, even as we explore these human issues through our sympathetic protagonist, we're still treated to comedic gems like the Bad Horse ChorusDr. Horrible is Joss Whedon at his best--or his worse, depending on your views towards tragic endings.

And the songs. I could listen to any one of those songs over and over for hours. And I have, thanks to the dual magic of YouTube and headphones. My only warning would be to refrain from singing "Brand New Day" while striding out of a grocery store with a determined look on your face.

It's odd to see the awkward, kind, yet determined man with no real powers as the villain, while the hero has powers suspiciously similar to Superman's. Yet it isn't a typical Villain Protagonist/Hero Antagonist story. Dr. Horrible has the villainous goal of taking over the world, ruling it with an iron fist and….healing its wounds. Captain Hammer has the heroic goal of punching villains, putting them behind bars, and…posing for the camera. The entire thing turns the concepts of hero and villain on their heads, asking questions like: Is wanting to rule the world to make it a better place so bad? What if a hero is only a hero when the cameras are rolling? Is good usually lurking in the shadows, too scared to come out and make the world a better place? To what extent is believing the best in people good, and at what point does it make a person naive? Does optimism automatically come with its fair share of naiveté? Do most heroes do what they do for the attention and nothing more? Is that person you labeled a villain really villainous, or are they secretly more decent than that arrogant hero you're dating?

It's one of the funniest and saddest things I've ever watched. I desperately want a sequel where Dr. Horrible becomes a good guy and saves the world, the nation, the city, a suburb, someone just by living out his dreams, but that would beg the question: by becoming a hero, would Dr. Horrible set himself up for a fall when the attention goes to his head? Or is he even capable of becoming a hero now that he's been partially responsible for the death of someone he loved? Not that he isn't capable of goodness, but does he even believe himself good anymore? 

For me, the most startling realization of that series was that Bad Horse is actually a horse.  :lol: 

Thanks for reviving this thread!  I'd never seen it before!

I overlap with fans of:

ASoIaF

Doctor Who (though my husband and I are being bad fans and still need to finish the latest season)

Chronicles of Prydain

Star Trek

Marvel (the new movies)

Star Wars

Kingkiller Chronicle

Firefly AND Castle

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Trigun

Lizzie Bennett Diaries and Emma Approved (I need to finish the second one)

Things I almost overlap on:

Football (the soccer variety) - hubby has turned into an Everton fan since deciding to get into Premier League.

Dragon Ball Z - I watched it when it originally aired on Cartoon Network in the late 90's and early 2000's.  I haven't seen it in ages, though.

Dr. Horrible - I saw it once and found it hilarious and would totally watch it again sometime.

My additions:

Lord of the Rings

Harry Potter

Agatha Christie and other whodunit authors/series like Rex Stout, Dorothy Sayers and the fabulous Ngaio Marsh.

Dean Koontz's Odd Thomas series

Project Runway

The Beatles

C.S. Lewis in general

Ray Bradbury

Table top games

Computer/video games of the puzzle, adventure, RP (turn based) variety, some of which include: Portal, Xenosaga, Civilization, Machinarium, etc.

Indie and folk rock music (though I'm pretty picky about bands/artists), with Andrew Bird, The Decemberists, and Muse as the top three.

Good coffee and tea

Baking (without spikes)

Other select anime series/movies

Peanuts by Charles M. Schultz

• 2 weeks later...

I desperately want a sequel where Dr. Horrible becomes a good guy and saves the world, the nation, the city, a suburb, someone just by living out his dreams, but that would beg the question: by becoming a hero, would Dr. Horrible set himself up for a fall when the attention goes to his head? Or is he even capable of becoming a hero now that he's been partially responsible for the death of someone he loved? Not that he isn't capable of goodness, but does he even believe himself good anymore? 

They are making a sequel. Last I heard filming still hadn't begun though.

you did not just call me a mewling quim!

No offence taken, you mewling quim :D

What bargain did he make?

Something devious with the admins so he never gets in trouble? How would I know the details, it's probably something dark and mysterious and involving animal entrails.......