Email List and Submission Dates

Silk

It's been a while, but I'd like to submit something on the 18th.

It's a short story I've been working on that's roughly 7,700 words long, which is quite a bit over the usual limit. Would that be all right or should I split the story somewhere in the middle and make it two submissions?

The length doesn't bother me too much, but keeping in mind that it's 1k longer than 'The Meal' submission was, I don't think my feedback is as good when it's too long. I don't mind reading lengthier work, but it makes the commenting process not as thorough, imho. In other words, if there's a natural break somewhere, I'd probably prefer that, but I would read and comment either way.

Firing off a request for the 25th, I would like to post next week, but that seems definitely full. Also, I'd like another week to work on Twin Moon.

Word of explanation is that I want to do two more Twin Moon posts to fully flesh out the introduction.

Edited by aeromancer

Again, happy to give up my spot if Shadowfax, aeromancer, or some as of yet unnamed newbie wants it.

ETA: In fact, noting the que that is forming, I'll officially drop out for this next week and see how things look for the following week.

Edited by kaisa

Okay, imagine that I'm playing a trombone and being more polite than I actually am. (That's as close to a Silk impression as I'm ever going to get.)

I've looked back at the posts and we have the following requests for Monday the 18th:

- Asmodemon

- Kaisa (withdrawn?)

- Ecohansen

- King007(withdrawn?)

- Spieles

So, there are enough slots for this Monday coming, including for Kaisa and King to submit if you still want to. As yet, there are no additional requests for Monday 18th.

Please, can we refrain from requesting slots for future Mondays. We go from week to week, and I think this is where the confusion has arisen recently. I can't remember if there is a rule about waiting till we are past one Monday before requesting for the next, but let's pretend there is - I think it makes sense :)

Thanks for continuing to be a deputy, Robinski :)

Okay, imagine that I'm playing a trombone and being more polite than I actually am. (That's as close to a Silk impression as I'm ever going to get.)

What I really enjoy about this is the implication that I'm just playing trombone all the time. Which frankly, if you broaden the net a bit to include the other instruments I play, is probably not terribly far from the truth. ANYWAY.

First of all, thanks to king007 and kaisa for graciously withdrawing their submissions this week so that others could submit. To Shadowfax and/or anyone who is concerned about "taking" another person's slot, don't be! This is how we want things to work, so that those who haven't had a chance to submit recently are given prioirity, while those who've had to drop back still get a chance to submit in the fairly near future.

There is no official rule that we only request for the upcoming week. I've personally never minded when people request for the following week in cases where the queue fills up quickly and think the heads-up can be useful (though definitely don't put any requests in that go farther ahead than that), but I won't respond to any of those requests until the last week is done. So yes, it's probably a good idea to wait until submission date is up to place your request for the following week, or at least remind me of your request once that time comes, because as we've just seen it gets confusing in a hurry.

FYI, in cases where someone offers/I ask someone to hold off on submitting because the queue is full, I'll typically pencil that person in for the following week, assuming the following week isn't also really busy and that person still wants to submit. I don't think we've yet had a case where someone waited more than two weeks after first requesting to submit and this is something that I'd like to maintain.

With all that said, here's what I make for submissions this week. Confirmed, we have:

spieles

Asmodemon

echohansen

King007 and kaisa have withdrawn for this week, so Shadowfax and Aeromancer, as far as I'm concerned you're both confirmed for this week as well. If you DON'T still plan on submitting this week, let us know and kaisa and king007 can submit after all, with you two on the list for the 25th. If you both do submit this week then I'll place kaisa and king007 on the list for next week.

Clear as mud?

Edited by Silk

I just finished a piece, can I get in whenever the next available slot is?  I assume that would be a week from now (week of the 25th), but if somehow there's an extra slot free this week after all the dust settles, I'd also be happy to submit today.