The useless, but still amusing Hebrew translations for some Cosmere names

Silva

While it is true that Alethi has Hebrew roots (it's in a WoB about Moash, but I can't find it off hand), not all of the Cosmere names most likely were intentional. So take these with a grain of salt, I just find it humorous how the way some translate is fitting. There are some more that I'll record as I remember them. And sorry to all other Hebrew speakers, I know the grammar is awful and the ניקוד had to be adjusted a bit.

I'll put them like this:

Name = Hebrew approximated transliterated word = new English translation

Mistborn:

Vin = בין or בן = between or son

Kelsier = קלסר or קלסי (depending on pronunciation) = easy master or classical

Stormlight Archive (these are my personal favorites):

Kaladin = קל עד דין = easy until judgement

Shallan Davar = שלאין דבר = (not a perfect translation) that has no object

Kholin = כולן = all of them

Warbreaker:

Siri = סירי = my scout

Elantris:

Hrathen = הרע אתן = the evil will give

56 minutes ago, Stormlightning said:

Well then.

It looks like the theory that "Unite Them" means "everyone must become Kholin" is correct.

Especially since if you add one word, the word switches to "all of us." But yeah, there may have been an intentional connection between the name and Dalinar's mission. Though everyone must become a Kholin is a little extreme...

Thanks a lot for the translations!

I know that WoB you mean, I 'll try to find it later, after work.

I don't care if it was all intentional or not, the translations simply are great and most fit the characters just fine. Brightened my morning. :D

@Rhapsody take a look at these. That's something you could like ;)

Edited by Sorana

I got temporarily excited because I was thinking Dockson's nickname "Dox" might be from the Greek "doxa", which references popularly held opinions as well as an orators ability to persuade said opinions through rhetoric and logic.

Excited since it fit Dox so well...... Until I realized I'd actually been thinking about Ham's character, not Dox. :X

• Chaos locked this topic