bendalloy mind hacks

etmental

Question

hypothetically, you are a bendalloy ferring, and eat something a little undercooked that would have given you food poisoning,but you stores that away in your reserves.

would this actually prevent the food poisoning? or does storing in a bendalloy only tuck away the nutritional value?

time to up the game.

you are drinking a mountain dew, you start to feel the effects of poison and realized somebody poisoned your drink! *GASP*

thinking quickly you store everything that you drank. would you be able to store the poison as well? could you just put it in a metal mind and then throw it away? 

4 answers to this question

I dont think you could use it to avoid Poison, either you'd absorb the good nutrition and just accomplish concentrating the Poison out from the diluting food, or you'd store both and get poisoned when you tap it (though I think that less likely).

The Two quesitons I have on Bendalloy that would change things are 1) do you have to digest the food before you can store it? I other words does it convert your stomach contents or your actual blood sugar, fat reserves, etc?  2) Does it require you to have a balanced diet or would any valid food be converted into Investiture then provide complet nutrition when it's tapped?  If the former is true, your body would have to deal with the poison (or not) before bendalloy got involved at all.  If the latter is true, it would already be doing a lot of filtering of the actual food contents and the poison's nature would not be maintained. 

All we have on the subject is "while storing, a person can eat a large quantity of food without feeling full".  I'd love for it to be a situation where a fat Ferring could simply store the fat away, growing thin and lean, then you can tap it to keep from having to eat, and it could work both ways, but until we see one in action...

@Narglet That was really worth the thread necro...

But since this topic has been briefly revived, we have some WoBs (which were around when this topic was fresh) that suggest that F-Bendalloy is storing calories:

Questioner

Could Lift be given a Hemalurgic spike that stores nutrition?

Brandon Sanderson

So... I'm not sure what a Hemalurgic spike that does nutrition... like, something that gives them the Feruchemical power of storing nutrition? Storing calories? That is not outside the realm of possibility. There are not systems in place for it right now, but that is not outside the realm of possibility.

Arcanum Unbounded release party (Nov. 22, 2016)

And in the context of 'How could you adapt feruchemy into a D&D game?':

Bendalloy: Not eating and storing calories. Great for role playing.

General Reddit 2015 (Aug. 28, 2015)

And one more where he implies (via not contradicting the questioner) that F-Bendalloy stores caloric content while leaving the food itself to be eliminated normally

angwilwileth

Since there's a Feruchemical metal that stores calories, is there one that stores the need to eliminate waste?

Brandon Sanderson

Not yet.

/r/books AMA 2015 (July 30, 2015)

Given that Brandon describing it in terms of calories just looks at the total energy you could get from a given meal but doesn't answer how it treats the nutritional makeup of that meal, we don't have a definite answer. My own guess is that you'd be storing all the relevant intake for whatever you ate, so eating five hundred calories worth of vegetables versus five hundred calories of pancakes are going to result in two different kinds of storage, rather than indistinguishable blocks of 'five hundred calories, tap when hungry'.

Since the bulk of the food is still in your system, my guess is that F-Bendalloy wouldn't help with poisoning of any kind, because you're not digesting the parts that are making you sick and they'll still be in your body after you've stored the nutrition you'd otherwise have gotten from the food.

Edited by Weltall

On 10/13/2018 at 11:41 AM, Tglassy said:

All we have on the subject is "while storing, a person can eat a large quantity of food without feeling full".  I'd love for it to be a situation where a fat Ferring could simply store the fat away, growing thin and lean, then you can tap it to keep from having to eat, and it could work both ways, but until we see one in action...

That's why he was called the Lard Ruler.