Second Opinion for a Lord Ruler Fanfic

Mistbreaker

Hello guys. I have been thinking of an idea for  Lord Ruler fanfic split into three main parts/chapters where the point of divergence is that he actually won at the end of Final Empire and will now get another chance to hold the power at the Well of Ascension.  Now, while I have been having a lot of fun with the outlines, I have been wondering if you guys think the endgame seems plausible. Okay here it goes:

After getting rid of Vin and the rebellion, it wouldn't be long before his next opportunity to pick up the power at the Well of Ascension. Also, we know from a WoB 

that the first time Rashek held the power he was able to reach out into the Cosmere far enough to figure out his people weren't alone in the universe but due to all the things he need to course-correct in Scadrial he didn't have the time to look very far. But if he could have endured the thousand year wait to become a sliver again, I suspect he would have tried a lot harder to learn more of the other Shardworlds, world hopping and most likely a way to finish off Ruin once and for all because he would know that Ruin remains his biggest existential threat. 

So, let's say that in this alternate timeline where TLR lived to hold the power another day, he learned through his temporary near omniscience that it would be too difficult for him under his circumstances to take over another Shard. He would then try to look for a way to kill Ruin with more conventional means and that's when he learns of Nightblood in Nalthis, a blade that can cut through all three realms and eats investiture. With his rapidly expanding mind he plots his new plan and discovers what he needs to do to get to Nalthis and back and how to better connect the magic systems of Biochroma and Allomancy through Duralumin Feruchemy, as it has been confirmed that can also change one's Spiritual connection to a planet, which can help worldhoppers with magic systems.

Once he gets there, he overpowers Vasher and takes the blade that can cut through all three realms. Then, he would need to find a way to coerce the God King Susebron into giving him his massive amount of breaths. Once the mighty Lord Ruler gets a giant power boost as he reach the 10th heightening, he returns to the place of the Well of Ascension with Nightblood in tow.

Now, this is the key part to make any of this scenario even remotely plausible. We know Ruin is trapped in the well. Not weak of course but his powers are contained, maybe even to the point he would be unable to directly fight back against Rashek although I am not so sure about that point. Regardless, now that the Lord Ruler has both Nightblood and the treasure trove of breaths. His new power source is very important, as the 10th heightening could plausibly allow him to properly sense where in the vicinity his blade should strike right before attacking the restrained Ruin with Nightblood. After all, the well would disappear from the naked eye not long after becoming a Sliver again. If not enough, maybe he could compound on his tin simultaneously to heavily increase his 5 senses even more. Then, once he would be able to see where to direct his blow through combined, high tier powers of the magic systems, he could compound on his Duralumin, which would ensure Nightblood would eat through all 50,000+ breaths at once in a single, shattering blow against Ruin.

Now, do you think this would actually work? I am not entirely sure, but it is the most plausible scenario I can think of to take down a shard without becoming one, based on what we currently have in the Cosmere. Still, I would love to hear a second opinion, in case I might be missing something.

Edited by Mistbreaker
Added a few details so the explanation makes more sense.

I dont think the treasure trove of breaths would be necessary, the lord ruler could fuel him much easier and more efficiently with allomancy and/or compounding, and the Heightenings themselves wouldnt be specifically useful. 

If he's getting the temporary glimpse of Perfection to formulate and understand this plan, that might be enough for him to get how to just Make a TypeIV entity with his own chosen Command, rather than stealing nightblood. 

2 hours ago, Quantus said:

I dont think the treasure trove of breaths would be necessary, the lord ruler could fuel him much easier and more efficiently with allomancy and/or compounding, and the Heightenings themselves wouldnt be specifically useful. 

If he's getting the temporary glimpse of Perfection to formulate and understand this plan, that might be enough for him to get how to just Make a TypeIV entity with his own chosen Command, rather than stealing nightblood. 

I don't disagree that he could probably empower a Type IV entity with compounding but from what I gathered in Warbreaker, the more Nightblood eats investiture the more powerful it gradually becomes and the bigger the damage it can inflict on all three realms. As a result, I would say it stands to reason that if the LR would compound his Duralumin so the already powerful Nightblood gets a boost the simultaneous might of the 50,000+ breaths the instant before slashing Ruin, it would be an enormous force multiplier. I am still not entirely sure that would have been powerful enough to kill Ati in one blow though. Maybe if he also allows Nightblood to drain a large chunk of his Bands of Mourning with or without Duralumin?

Edited by Mistbreaker

59 minutes ago, Mistbreaker said:

I don't disagree that he could probably empower a Type IV entity with compounding but from what I gathered in Warbreaker, the more Nightblood eats investiture the more powerful it gradually becomes and the bigger the damage it can inflict on all three realms. As a result, I would say it stands to reason that if the LR would compound his Duralumin so the already powerful Nightblood gets a boost the simultaneous might of the 50,000+ breaths the instant before slashing Ruin, it would be an enormous force multiplier. I am still not entirely sure that would have been powerful enough to kill Ati in one blow though. Maybe if he also allows Nightblood to drain a large chunk of his Bands of Mourning with or without Duralumin?

It's true that nightblood has been gradually getting stronger and/or more invested as he (presumably) absorbs Investiture, but as far as I know that's a permanent effect so it wouldnt matter where he got the investiture or how fast, so long as he had a ready supply and leveled up prior to the confrontation with Ati, so I dont think you could accelerate it with Duralumin. And while it does become harder to affect and/or counter as it gains investiture, I dont know of anything to say it hits harder/bigger. 

Meanwhile, Breathes are relatively finite and valuable, but you could compound yourself up a stack of 100% full Metalminds indefinitely, and any random twinborn (or medallion-holder) could provide it.  Either one would get you to the endgame goal of charging Nightblood up as much as possible, short of going to Sel's CR and shoving it directly into the Dor.  Which, actually, might be the only legit way to make nightblood more powerful than a Shard: feed him TWO shards....

• 3 weeks later...