If you had a friend who you wanted to introduce to Brandon's books...

Which would you start them on?

I think this person would really get into the cosmere stuff once he got far enough in.

So I'm thinking Either Mistborn, or Warbreaker, then after those, Elantris then Stormlight.

What do you think?

I agree that Mistborn would be probably the best place to start. Go for it, Mikanium! 

After Mistborn, I would say Warbreaker, then Stormlight, and finally Elantris. You gotta keep him interested, so he's already invested in the cosmere by the time he gets to Elantris.

I've successfully hooked over ten friends on the cosmere by starting with Mistborn. My rationale is that a 1,000+ page epic like WoK is pretty intimidating, and even though Mistborn is a trilogy, they feel like they can just stop after the first book if it's not something they like. Which is fine by me, because I have yet to find someone who wouldn't actually finish the series after the first book :P

It depends a lot on whether yout friend is already an epic fantasy fan. If so, Mistborn could hook them. If they don't already read fantasy, Warbreaker is a good start. The magic system isn't too confusing or as significant to the story as in Brandon's other books, and it is not a series (yet). Starlight should definitely wait until after other books, since it is daunting and more crucial to the cosmere. Pantries should probably wait, it is by far the weakest.

I agree that Mistborn would be probably the best place to start. Go for it, Mikanium! 

After Mistborn, I would say Warbreaker, then Stormlight, and finally Elantris. You gotta keep him interested, so he's already invested in the cosmere by the time he gets to Elantris.

I see what you did there.  :D

Going to have to echo GreyPilgrim here, Warbreaker is an excellent place to start from, especially because it's free on Brandon's website. They have nothing to lose from trying it out. Mistborn is a good start too, but please, please don't start with the SA first, those books are too intimidating for most people.

It depends, really. 

If they're already big fantasy fans, the Mistborn series or the Stormlight Archive - it should be something they're capable of digesting.

If you are trying to convert someone that's not already in love with fantasy... Warbreaker. It's free, it's not quite as action-oriented as the other novels (bar Elantris) and the magic system is literally beautiful.

One person I started on Mistborn, immediately followed by Stormlight archive (mainly because I was *ahem* ecstatic about WoR.) However, someone else I started on Mistborn didn't read more than the first chapter or so because she didn't have time to read such a long book.

Trying to avoid that issue, I've now had two friends read Legion/The Emperor's Soul (I have the Gollancz 2-in-1) and that's worked fantastically.

So - if already a fantasy fan and isn't pressed for time, I'd go with Mistborn. Anyone else I'd start with Emperor's Soul and go from there.

Generally speaking, you know the person best, know what they like and what they're likely to be intimidated (or not) by reading. Almost any one,, I think, has the ability to hook someone because they're all just that amazing..

Good luck!

I was started on the Mistborn series, and it was obviously an effective way to get me hooked. The books were a manageable length, and I had someplace to go after I finished the first novel. I recommended the same series to a friend of mine, and she powered through the trilogy but stopped after that. I think Elantris may have been a better start for her - three books with compounding magic systems were a little overwhelming to her at first.

My brother, by contrast, started on Way of Kings. He's a bit more of a "pretentious" reader - by which I mean he likes a truly EPIC scale and lots of space for character and theme development. After that, he went back and read the Mistborn books at my insistence and enjoyed those too.

So my point is, you may want to tailor your recommendation to your friend. A person who is your "average fantasy reader" will do great with Mistborn. Someone who usually reads non-fantasy literature should probably start with a novella or single novel like Elantris (I find it has the magic system which seems least boggling to many newcomers). If your friend is a fan of "important" books and epic scale, go ahead and start them on SA.

*Edited because I am a grammar nerd.

Edited by Alina Two

I would start my friend on the Way of Kings, might as well start off the friend with your favorite book. It is long, but I thought it was an amazing read, by far the best developed storyline/world I've ever read. If the book is good and you can't put it down, I don't think the length matters too much.

After they've read the Words of Radiance too and are itching for more Sanderson, I would suggest Mistborn and the Rithmatist. Those are my 2 favorite worlds after Stormlight Archive. Rithmatist is a nice change of pace, interesting but not overwhelming. Mistborn would be satisfying because the trilogy is completed (not counting the other trilogy with Alloy of Law). It's always nice to have some closure. 

Above all, make sure they've read Warbreaker and maybe Elantris before Words of Radiance.

I hate it when people don't die of shock at Chapter 88.

WoR spoilers, maybe.

Tell me about it. My brother is suspicious of me because I accidentally let slip that people should read Warbreaker before starting Stormlight... now he's reading both at the same time. :D

I tried to get a girlfriend to read Mistborn and she couldn't get into it.

Then she randomly, after hearing me and another Sanderfan chat non-stop about WoR, asked if she could read WoK. However, she wants me to read it out loud to her. Oddly enough, I don't mind. It may take a while though.

Edited by LinkasZelda

WoR spoilers, maybe.

Tell me about it. My brother is suspicious of me because I accidentally let slip that people should read Warbreaker before starting Stormlight... now he's reading both at the same time. :D

I tried telling my brother to read Warbreaker first, but we couldn't easily get a physical copy (he didn't want to read the free download) plus he'd just finished WoK so.....I'm just hoping he'll freak out when he starts Warbreaker and recognises Nightblood from WoR. Just won't have the same effect though. The utter horror at what Szeth's gonna get up to with that mental sword.... I'm wondering if/when he'll recognise Zahel. Probably not till a re-read.

Edited by Delightful

So far I only managed to introduce one person to Brandon's  books and I started him off with the Rithmatist which he enjoyed quite a bit, I then sent him off to read mistborn, and he really enjoyed the complexity of the magic system and the metals. My next goal is to pester him into reading Way of Kings, although hes been discouraged by the amount of pages it has.

I tried telling my brother to read Warbreaker first, but we couldn't easily get a physical copy (he didn't want to read the free download) plus he'd just finished WoK so.....I'm just hoping he'll freak out when he starts Warbreaker and recognises Nightblood from WoR. Just won't have the same effect though. The utter horror at what Szeth's gonna get up to with that mental sword.... I'm wondering if/when he'll recognise Zahel. Probably not till a re-read.

Yeah, a little bit is lost if someone doesn't read Warbreaker first. I remember when I read the Nightblood scene for the first time, I bolted upright in my chair and sat forward, eyes (allegedly) bulging out. I actually had to put the book down after that chapter, and went for a walk to clear my head a little bit.

I don't know why the shock of that particular crossover got to me so much. It was just... unexpected. Incredibly awesome, but unexpected.

It depends on the friend. 

I've started off a few with Mistborn.
Others I've started on Elantris and Warbreaker, depending on the person.

My little brother started with Alcatraz (and Steelheart), but I gave him The Final Empire... But because one of my other friends had the other two Mistborn books he has read... 
Final Empire - Warbreaker - Well of Ascention - Elantris (current) - Hero of Ages (next)

I honestly wouldn't start someone off with Stormlight Archive, but that's just my opinion.

Yeah, a little bit is lost if someone doesn't read Warbreaker first. I remember when I read the Nightblood scene for the first time, I bolted upright in my chair and sat forward, eyes (allegedly) bulging out. I actually had to put the book down after that chapter, and went for a walk to clear my head a little bit.

I don't know why the shock of that particular crossover got to me so much. It was just... unexpected. Incredibly awesome, but unexpected.

I yelled "NIGHTBLOOD! OMG NIGHTBLOOD! Whaaaatt?? Oh no, oh no this is NOT going to end well. Ahhhhh". And, yeah, had to put the book down and freak out for a while.

So my brother read it and LAUGHED of all things. And started making talking sword jokes. About Nightblood. (To be perfectly honest I'm still totally creeped out by this crossover. )

• Chaos locked this topic