Kaladin's (and others) Squires

WitSpren

OK, we know that some of Kal's bridgemen and The Lopen have begin "glowing" at the end of WoR.

I wonder how far will that go?

Will he get All the bridgemen or just all/most of Bridge 4?

What all will they get from the Stormlight?      Healing, extra speed, strength, stamina?  

Do they only glow when he is holding massive amounts of Stormlight?   or even just a little?

Does their bond to him only give them Stormlight only from him?     Or does it give them the ability to draw from spheres that they are actually carrying.spheres?      That might explain why only a few of them lit up - they were the only ones carrying spheres?

Can they also feed him Stormlight over the bond?

Was the Lopen POV allowing him to draw Stormlight  just part of his bond to Kal?    Or was it his own bond to a new Spren?

If Lopen is a proto KR, what group will he be?     Did Stormfather "open" the gates to the other Honor Spren?

How many more bridgemen will become KR?

SO MANY QUESTIONS - SO LONG TO WAIT!!!!!

My take on it is that once Kaladin swore the Third Ideal then those bound to Kaladin by loyalty and honour gained the ability to hold Stormlight and nothing else. But even that is a considerable ability, as the Lopen's arm growing back proves. Remember as well that Stormlight doesn't give you new abilities but perfects your existing skills. So to take one example, Rock should now be an absolutely incredible archer if he ever decides to use that skill again.

So I don't think Lopen or any of the other bridgemen are proto-KR, but they are Squires. And of course a Squire is a Knight in waiting. So if Honourspren ever do return in numbers, they might just be attracted to the people who follow Kaladin. An Honourspren binds things and is attracted to those who bind, after all.

Right now I'd say the Squires are limited to the original members of Bridge Four, but given the way that Kaladin is training the other bridgemen - modelled on how he trained Bridge Four - I wouldn't be surprised to see the entire force becoming Squires in time, and the officers leading them becoming Windrunners themselves.

What's interesting to me is if Shen Rlain can become a Squire. Listeners aren't supposed to be able to form a Nahel Bond with a Spren but the nature of the Knight-Squire bond might be different enough to work. And I like your idea of Squires being able to feed Stormlight to their Knight Radiant.

Edited by Wrath

I wonder if anyone will notice how much better Rock's stew tastes in the next book.  The Lopen wants to fly.  I suspect that no matter what else happens, he will never be satisfied and never stop trying until he does.

I am currently imagining Lopen training likeKaladin in WoR.

"Come on now mates. The Lopen has glowing to be done!"

I wonder if anyone will notice how much better Rock's stew tastes in the next book.  The Lopen wants to fly.  I suspect that no matter what else happens, he will never be satisfied and never stop trying until he does.

You know I almost wrote "Rock should now be able to cook amazing stew" but decided that archery was an example of something that would definitely be perfected by Stormlight.

Edited by Wrath

My take on it is that once Kaladin swore the Third Ideal then those bound to Kaladin by loyalty and honour gained the ability to hold Stormlight and nothing else. But even that is a considerable ability, as the Lopen's arm growing back proves. Remember as well that Stormlight doesn't give you new abilities but perfects your existing skills. So to take one example, Rock should now be an absolutely incredible archer if he ever decides to use that skill again.

So I don't think Lopen or any of the other bridgemen are proto-KR, but they are Squires. And of course a Squire is a Knight in waiting. So if Honourspren ever do return in numbers, they might just be attracted to the people who follow Kaladin. An Honourspren binds things and is attracted to those who bind, after all.

Right now I'd say the Squires are limited to the original members of Bridge Four, but given the way that Kaladin is training the other bridgemen - modelled on how he trained Bridge Four - I wouldn't be surprised to see the entire force becoming Squires in time, and the officers leading them becoming Windrunners themselves.

What's interesting to me is if Shen Rlain can become a Squire. Listeners aren't supposed to be able to form a Nahel Bond with a Spren but the nature of the Knight-Squire bond might be different enough to work. And I like your idea of Squires being able to feed Stormlight to their Knight Radiant.

I agree with most of this, with a small clarification as per WoB (Houston Signing):

Q: How about the other way around? Can a parshendi bond a KR spren?

A: Historically, the parshendi were not made knights radiant, or the parshmen weren't.

Q: Can they become squires maybe?

A: Historically they did not, but it's not impossible.

You know I almost wrote "Rock should now be able to cook amazing stew" but decided that archery was an example of something that would definitely be perfected by Stormlight.

While reading your original comment I went over it really fast and thought you were going to say cook amazing stew haha. Made me laugh out loud after realizing it said archery instead.

Excellent, point on Rlain! 

I am anxious to see what happens with him, Eshonai & the hiding/escape Listeners.

I was wondering if her fall into the chasm will give the "good" spren that is following her a chance to push out the bad one?

What about Shallan's band of former deserters?  She seems to really have them believing in her "lies".  Gaz as a Radiant squire would be amazing. 

yes, I agree.       I want him to "grow" his eye back as well.        

Can't wait to see if the bridgmen that got Shard dead cuts & limbs, get them back!!!     Especially, the one that lost both legs!

Stupid Moash. I was really starting to like him too.. Wonder where that story line is headed.

I still have hopes for Moash.       He already realizes that he has been played for a fool.     I hope that he links up with Kal, & they work out a way for him to stay "undercover", to find out all about Mr Ts group.     The KRs nood to know about all these counterproductive groups like Mr T & the Ghostbloods and Skybreakers.   +++?

yes, I agree.       I want him to "grow" his eye back as well.        

Can't wait to see if the bridgmen that got Shard dead cuts & limbs, get them back!!!     Especially, the one that lost both legs!

I was hoping we would have seen that in the book. Because when Szeth saw Kaladin heal a shardblade cut with stormlight he really freaked out. That (and Brandons coy words talking about it) seriously imply that while Szeth can heal via stormlight, he cannot heal a dead limb like that. And if a Honorblade does not grant that ability without the growth surge, I have to wonder if Kaladins squires can.

My take on it is that once Kaladin swore the Third Ideal then those bound to Kaladin by loyalty and honour gained the ability to hold Stormlight and nothing else. But even that is a considerable ability, as the Lopen's arm growing back proves.

There is an implication we should be looking for clues in book one. So they have likely been using stormlight to for a while now, and that is why Bridge Four was able to keep going when they stopped being given replacements for those who had died. Giving them more strength and endurance, helping them heal, etc.

Remember that with Kaladin he was able to use minute quantities instinctively before he was able to inhale it of his own volition. I think they were squires from the tome Kaladin swore his first or second oath.

Kaladin speaking the third oath strengthened/widened the bond enough that they are now able to use more stormlight, enough to start inhaling it consciously. I think that the stormlight is the only power they have (no surges), but as you said, it alone is quite substantial; the equivalent of several misting/ferring powers.

SO MANY QUESTIONS - SO LONG TO WAIT!!!!!

Yup. I said how I think it works above, but there might be another benefit. Since the power comes from Kaladin's powers, he might be able to use surges on them without touching them physically.

After all, the squires use stormlight on their own without Kaladin giving it to them (they were using it in book one, and Kaladin did not know he could do this, also The Lopen) and Pattern can in some ways use Pattern as a mobile extension of herself.

Flying using the gravity surge takes corrections mid flight to course correct, and lashings normally take touch. Them would make it hard for Kaladin to fly anywhere and take others with him. But he also has a lot of squires. So....

I think Kaladin (eventually) can use his connection to his squires to use his surges on their behalf at a distance, so the entire group can take flight with Kaladin piloting, and not need to be holding hands and look silly.

Mainly because a magical flying Kymbayah circle does not fit my mental image of the Windrunners.

And anyone who dares to contradict me is a filthy hippie. Just Saying.

There is an implication we should be looking for clues in book one. So they have likely been using stormlight to for a while now, and that is why Bridge Four was able to keep going when they stopped being given replacements for those who had died. Giving them more strength and endurance, helping them heal, etc.

Remember that with Kaladin he was able to use minute quantities instinctively before he was able to inhale it of his own volition. I think they were squires from the tome Kaladin swore his first or second oath.

Kaladin speaking the third oath strengthened/widened the bond enough that they are now able to use more stormlight, enough to start inhaling it consciously. I think that the stormlight is the only power they have (no surges), but as you said, it alone is quite substantial; the equivalent of several misting/ferring powers.

Hmm... Well, even so the difference is the same as Kaladin before he actually swore any ideals and him after he swore the first. Actually it's not even that much since he used proto-Windrunning to kill Heleram. The thing that makes it weird to me is that Lopen was (and probably some of the others were) practising inhaling Stormlight with no effects whatsoever. The gems didn't go dun and Lopen's arm didn't start growing back until Kaladin hit the Third Ideal.

Perhaps the way it works is that before the Third Ideal the bridgemen couldn't take in Stormlight themselves but instead they would receive a small portion of it from Kaladin whenever he inhaled some.

I think Kaladin (eventually) can use his connection to his squires to use his surges on their behalf at a distance, so the entire group can take flight with Kaladin piloting, and not need to be holding hands and look silly.

Mainly because a magical flying Kymbayah circle does not fit my mental image of the Windrunners.

And anyone who dares to contradict me is a filthy hippie. Just Saying.

I would just like to say thank you for this image. I just snorted coffee through my nose and destroyed a keyboard. OH and I'm at work. LOL

It makes perfect sense that a Windrunner would be able to transport their Squires, by the way. After all what's the point of having Squires if they can't effectively follow you into battle?

I just see them all filling up with stormlight and then Kaladin running along their formation, launching them straight at the enemy with a couple lashings each. hahaha

I was actually thinking less of fighting and more of just travelling to the battlefield. Szeth flew all over the world with his Honourblade that is less efficient than an actual Windrunner's Surgebinding, and we've already had Kaladin fly halfway across the Shattered Plains and intending to fly to Heathstone,

I was actually thinking less of fighting and more of just travelling to the battlefield. Szeth flew all over the world with his Honourblade that is less efficient than an actual Windrunner's Surgebinding, and we've already had Kaladin fly halfway across the Shattered Plains and intending to fly to Heathstone,

He prefers fall.  

I am most interested in Rlain.  If he does become a squire, will he have the ability to resist an Odium spren from the Everstorm?  

Very well said, although with Lopen's development at the end of WoR he wouldn't be made to fly at the back all the time (no one to grab his missing hand), that would have irked him in entertaining ways.

• Chaos locked this topic