Hemalurgy and Heredity

Unlicensed Hemalurgist

Question

We know that Hemalurgy works by "grafting" a piece of the victim's Spiritweb onto the recipient, giving them the new attribute or ability. But are Hemalurgically granted powers inheritable? Let's say someone is spiked with a single Allomantic ability, then produces offspring. Would those offspring have a better chance of being Mistings?

7 answers to this question

From Mistborn Era 2, Allik said that they didn't have any Metalborn at first, and that the Sovereign created the first fire mothers & fathers and I believe that is what happened for all their metalborn in the south. The ability was stolen from people in the north then granted to the people in the south by Sovereign. The ability was bred into their population by the original people granted the gift via hemalurgy. Atleast that is my understanding from the Bands of Mourning

Based on the fact that Kolos became a self-reproducing race with the emergence of Kolos-blooded, Id say it is entirely likely.  If that hemalurgical change to the Spiritweb is something that can carry through to offspring, it possible that other hemalurgical changes could do so as well.  The only reason I hesitate is that Kolos became a self-reproducing race only in the post-Catacendre era, and like Snapping this might have been a conscious Change that Harmony chose to do (seems fitting with his gereraly kind heart)

Ooooooh that's interesting. I think that it probably would be inheritable. I asked a similar question about whether or not acquired light eyes in Stormlight is inheritable. And apparently it is, so long as you had light eyes while you were having kids. It would make sense for it to be similar with misting abilities. I mean, for example, almost all mistings on Scadrial are descended from men that consumed Lerasium in the early days from of the final empire, became mistborn, and passed the abilities on. So it's logical to assume that spiritweb alteration by hemalurgy is also inheritable. 

Yes, according to Brandon hemalurgic traits are heritable but there can be complications, at least if you have a lot of them.

zas678

You've said that Inquisitors could have children. Would those children have a better chance at being Allomancers compared to if they had the kids before they were Inquisitors?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, but there also could be...complications.

source

Do you think he's referencing Ruin's influence? Could they somehow inherit the same flaws in their spirit web that allows Ruin to control them? That would be pretty stinky. That's like inheriting a curse from Nightwatcher kind of stinky.

Edited by KalaDANG

1 minute ago, KalaDANG said:

Do you think he's referencing Ruin's influence? Could they somehow inherit the same flaws in their spirit web that allows Ruin to control them?

Well, we know that Inquisitors have a spiritweb that's so frayed they need that central spike to hold everything together, so it's possible there could be any number of complications that could result from that. Openness to Shardic influence could be one such complication, in a similar vein to how mental instability made it easier for Ruin to influence people even without spikes.

I'm pretty sure their kids would of have some holes in their spiritwebs. Mistwraiths' children still get blockages between the cognitive and the physical realms, Parshmen's children still get broken spiritwebs, and children of MIstborn  are more likely to have allomancy,